Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes but.... (there's always a but....)

How will the truck know what the SOC of the LiIon is?

Different chemistry, different rules of charging.
Usually lithium-ion is great for RVs and boats but not for cars/pickups for those who live in northern USA due to the cold weather. Lithium-ion do not function well in cold weather.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you ( or any others) used FORSCAN and changed the charge from 80% to higher charge? My battery is doing fine, but I do keep it hooked to a tender whenever I am not driving it. I only get out about two-three times a week, sometimes only about 5-10 mile trip. I have a digital meter in the power point (cigarette lighter) up front and when starting up it reads 15.1-15.3. (I assume this is the HV battery) Within seconds, drops to 12.7- 12.9. Should I bump up charge to 90-95% or just let it ride? Have owned truck about 6 months, got 7,000 miles or so on it. Thanks for any input.
Charging the charge level is only part of the solution. It will help some but until you get a non-Ford AGM battery with a greater capacity, you may still have problems.

OP
OP
NedF

NedF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was a '23 now a '24 Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unusually lithium-ion is great for RVs and boats but not for cars/pickups for those who live in northern USA due to the cold weather. Lithium-ion do not function well in cold weather.
Since a hybrid 12v battery does not have to crank the engine, I wonder if a marine battery would be better suited?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is this another recall issued today? Because the one they issued a few days ago does not include all '23 MY Hybrids, at least not mine.
It appears to me that Ford delays putting ALL Vin #'s for a recall over several days or week or more. I am guessing to keep dealers recall scheduling to a lesser demand level....???

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since a hybrid 12v battery does not have to crank the engine, I wonder if a marine battery would be better suited?
Ahhhh! I cannot resist. An extended range TROLLING battery would be the BEST maybe equipped with a 12.1 volt dc buck booster until battery dropped to 11.0 volts or what ever your comfort level. Maybe at some point sending a text to request a remote start but you would need a couple hours ready time to charge 12v.

Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You mean a Marine Deep Cycle battery verses the starting battery (Used for trolling motors and other electrics). A good possibility I would think as they are made to discharge a lot, but probably won't find one to fit the Maverick's space limitations.

First Sergeant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid 2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Charging the charge level is only part of the solution. It will help some but until you get a non-Ford AGM battery with a greater capacity, you may still have problems.
Thanks for the reply. Think for now, (since things are going good) I'll stay with factory battery as long as it starts and maintains a decent charge. The minute I notice a substantial drop and it is consistently going down, or any starting issues, I'll go AGM and a change in the charge profile with FORSCAN. Thanks for the feedback!

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the reply. Think for now, (since things are going good) I'll stay with factory battery as long as it starts and maintains a decent charge. The minute I notice a substantial drop and it is consistently going down, or any starting issues, I'll go AGM and a change in the charge profile with FORSCAN. Thanks for the feedback!
Here's the kicker....

99% chance it is set to AGM now!

First Sergeant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid 2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think 12.x while driving is kinda sorta maybe? A good thing. And 15.x while driving kinda sorta maybe? A not so good thing.

I say this because while working and doing 11 mile commutes, my DC to DC voltage is always 15.x. Yet the battery is poor condition.

The ONLY time I saw my DC to DC voltage drop to 12.9 was after a really long road-trip. It literally took 48 hours of key-on time for the system to "think" the battery was fully changed.

A week later the battery was reading 60% to 70%.

🤷🏻‍♂️
That's a long drive to drop to 12.9! Wonder why the system could not keep it up or is it programmed to let it drop to that? Either way it is odd that it was dead as a nail a week later.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's a long drive to drop to 12.9! Wonder why the system could not keep it up or is it programmed to let it drop to that? Either way it is odd that it was dead as a nail a week later.
I think it is meant to taper down as charge reaches the maximum. Or what it thinks is maximum. I've seen it do this a few times but not very often.

Also, people "meddling" 🙋‍♂️with the Battery reset are unwittingly doing more harm than good. (guilty)

I think what the reset (flashing your high beams procedure) does is: tells the computer "this is what 100% looks like". "This is what 100% should be."

It's a calibration.

If your battery is really 60% in that moment, what you have just done is told the computer "this is the new high water mark". And it will never try to go higher.

Last edited:
Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been meaning to try and spoof the battery reset by doing the battery reset with an external power source attached but have not had the time or motivation to try it. If you want to experiment, have at it.

I'm curious what would happen if you set the new high water mark to something like 13.5 v

SVTRIDE

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think 12.x while driving is kinda sorta maybe? A good thing.
And 15.x while driving kinda sorta maybe? A not so good thing.

I say this because while working and doing 11 mile commutes, my DC to DC voltage is always 15.x. Yet the battery is poor condition.
I’m seeing the same values on my Jan 2024 build. This thread got me curious as to what my truck is doing, battery SOC-wise.
I have hard wired a Fluke DVM to the battery terminal posts. I’ve walked up to truck, looked through the window after it sitting all night and see ~12.00vdc on the Fluke steady state. I’ll get in and key on (run state) and see voltage jump to 15-15.02vdc and just stay at that level for entire duration of my drive…usually not more than 30 minutes…indicated charge levels are very repeatable over the past week.
The >15vdc, for me, is too high in my years of dealing with FLA & AGM batteries in everything from cars, RVs, to airplanes. Typically for FLA and AGM charge voltage when battery >80% charge is voltage peaking at 14-14.5vdc and inflow current very low. Lower SOC batteries will have lower charge voltages (higher current flow) until battery SOC come up to >80%. Excessively high voltage is a detriment the battery’s longevity. Curious why Ford allows the DC-DC charger push such high voltage. Maybe their battery is “special”.
I have a DC-DC charger in my camper to tow vehicle and it never exceeds 14.5vdc in bulk or absorption phases..and drops back to 13.5vdc in float phase.

I planning on a 10 hour drive in the next few days and plan to monitor the charge profile…see if it ever goes into a float phase...

KDay

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Keeping lead acid at 95% and above greatly extends its longevity.
Can you please share a screenshot of where you change the SOC percentage from the default 80 to, say, 95% on a hybrid model? I don't have forscan [yet]. I saw the mother-of-all forscan spreadsheets posted here, but it seems only to reference ecoboost ==> " Adjust Battery Target State of Charge (ecoboost only) ". I don't want to buy the ODBLink EX + forscan license if I cannot modify the battery SOC on my hybrid.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you please share a screenshot of where you change the SOC percentage from the default 80 to, say, 95% on a hybrid model? I don't have forscan [yet]. I saw the mother-of-all forscan spreadsheets posted here, but it seems only to reference ecoboost ==> " Adjust Battery Target State of Charge (ecoboost only) ". I don't want to buy the ODBLink EX + forscan license if I cannot modify the battery SOC on my hybrid.
You can. Didn't take a screenshot when I did mine.

Cheers.

BlueSpec1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT 2.5L, 22 Escape Plug In, 23 Bolt EUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you please share a screenshot of where you change the SOC percentage from the default 80 to, say, 95% on a hybrid model?
Battery Target SOC is in BdyCM in Forscan for 2.5L

Forscan: Configuration and Programming > BdyCM Module > Filter / search > Battery
Ford Maverick Hybrid 12V Battery Charging Maverick 2.5L Forscan - 95% Target SOC - 2023-11-23
Sponsored