TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the Hybrid, when a load is placed on the 12v battery such as an aftermarket 12v to 110v inverter:

Is the 12v battery constantly charged with the key in the off position or does the key need to be in the accessory position or does it need to be in the on position? If it is the on position, do you also need to turn the key to the start position before allowing it to return to the on position?

Will the ICE come on to replenish the high voltage battery if the key is in the accessory position or does it need to be in the on position? If it is the on position, do you also need to turn the key to the start position before allowing it to return to the on position?

I am asking these questions in case I need or want to use the inverter for an extended period of time.

I am aware that the 12 battery is charged by a DC to DC converter from the high battery.

I am also aware that the high voltage battery is charged from the ICE. As well as regenerative breaking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueSpec1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT 2.5L, 22 Escape Plug In, 23 Bolt EUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For DC/DC, I'd say the truck needs to be on and running.

FSM:
ISC/ SOBDMC - The ISC/ SOBDMC provides a wake up signal to the DCDC during key on.
Electric water pump relay control = Hot when PCM Power Relay is energized.

Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) Converter Control Module.

Normal Operation and Fault Conditions
The DCDC is liquid cooled by the (electric) motor electronics cooling system that consists of a radiator, coolant hoses, and a coolant pump.
The DCDC monitors its temperature internally. The DCDC requests a coolant flow speed and monitors the coolant pump status from the BECM via HS-CAN .
If the internal temperature increases higher than 81°C (178°F), P0A94:4B sets and the output current is limited until the over-temperature condition clears.
If the internal temperature becomes excessive, DTC P0D32:00 sets and the DCDC goes to standby mode (DCDC disabled) until the over-temperature condition clears.
Presence of this DTC results in CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM being displayed in the message center and the 12-volt battery discharged.
Reduced or no functionality of 12-volt systems (such as the headlamps, and HVAC blower motor) may also be noticed.

• DTC Fault Trigger Conditions
Possible Sources
• Low coolant level
• Airlock in system
• Coolant flow restriction
• Electric motor electronics coolant pump
• Electric motor electronics radiator
• Restricted airflow through motor electronics radiator
• BECM
• High ambient temperatures

Component Description.

DCDC - The DCDC is responsible for maintaining and charging the 12-volt battery, it communicates on the HS-CAN1 .

ISC/ SOBDMC - The ISC/ SOBDMC provides a wake up signal to the DCDC during key on.

PCM - The PCM communicates on the HS-CAN1 and determines the ambient air temperature, enables and sets the low voltage charging setpoint, determines power pack status and transaxle gear state.

BECM - The BECM communicates on the HS-CAN1 , determines the high voltage battery current flow, commands the high voltage contactors and monitors system shutdown status.

BCM - The BCM communicates on the HS-CAN1 , determines the ignition state, communicates the power mode state and measures the 12-volt battery voltage with the battery sensor.

DCDC Operation.
The DCDC is responsible for maintaining and charging the 12-volt battery. The ISC/ SOBDMC sends a HEV wakeup signal to the DCDC through a hardwired circuit. For information on the high-voltage battery system.

The DCDC is liquid cooled by the electric motor cooling system circuit. The electric motor cooling circuit uses an electric motor diverter valve that acts as a system thermostat, allowing the coolant to flow within the motor circuit while the motor warms. As the coolant warms, the diverter valve slowly opens to allow coolant flow to the radiator.

The DCDC communicates on the HS-CAN1 with or without the high voltage contactors closed. A wake up circuit from the ISC/ SOBDMC activates the module processor.
If the wake up circuit fails and high-voltage is present, the DCDC still charges but with a delay.

Faults with the DCDC that cause low or excessively high 12-volt battery voltage result in the DCDC sending a network message requesting the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM message be displayed in the message center.

The DCDC is protected by a 50 amp high voltage low current fuse located in the high-voltage BJB .
The DCDC steps the high-voltage down to a low-voltage (between 13.0 and 15.5 volts, depending on vehicle needs), providing power to the vehicle low-voltage battery systems. Depending on the vehicle and environmental conditions, the DCDC is capable of outputting up to 265 amps to the 12-volt battery.

Sidenote: My 23 Bolt electric says it has a battery maintenance mode when off, either plugged in or not.
Ford Maverick 12v Battery Charging - Maverick Hybrid Battery Maintenance Mode - 2023 Bolt EUV

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWizziard

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for your detailed response.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In the Hybrid, when a load is placed on the 12v battery such as an aftermarket 12v to 110v inverter:

Is the 12v battery constantly charged with the key in the off position or does the key need to be in the accessory position or does it need to be in the on position? If it is the on position, do you also need to turn the key to the start position before allowing it to return to the on position?

Will the ICE come on to replenish the high voltage battery if the key is in the accessory position or does it need to be in the on position? If it is the on position, do you also need to turn the key to the start position before allowing it to return to the on position?

I am asking these questions in case I need or want to use the inverter for an extended period of time.

I am aware that the 12 battery is charged by a DC to DC converter from the high battery.

I am also aware that the high voltage battery is charged from the ICE. As well as regenerative breaking.
The key has to be to the second click, run, but not started for the DC/DC to be on and (re)charging the 12v battery.

But you will have limited time, since the gas engine can't run, it can't recharge the HV battery.

Actually START the truck; see the green "Ready" light, and it can cycle the gas engine for as long as gasoline supply lasts, could be many consecutive days.

OP
OP
TheWizziard

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The key has to be to the second click, run, but not started for the DC/DC to be on and (re)charging the 12v battery.

But you will have limited time, since the gas engine can't run, it can't recharge the HV battery.

Actually START the truck; see the green "Ready" light, and it can cycle the gas engine for as long as gasoline supply lasts, could be many consecutive days.
Thanks. I plan to test the inverter under load this weekend.

Sponsored

DavidLs

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger/23 and 24 Mave hybrids
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How did the inverter test go?? What Size inverter? I am at this stage. Did you use a ASE Tech or DIY? Any Pictures or issues to look out for?

OP
OP
TheWizziard

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How did the inverter test go?? What Size inverter? I am at this stage. Did you use a ASE Tech or DIY? Any Pictures or issues to look out for?
I have a 1000W PSW inverter mounted to the bracket for the audio upgrade behind the passenger side rear seat. It is connected directly to the 12v battery. I am in the process of connecting the inverters remote switch to the start switch circuit to enforce that the vehicle is in run mode.

I ran an 800W heater for about an hour. The ICE did start by itself during the test.
Sponsored