Sponsored

How-to remove factory steering wheel switches (for installing other switches such as cruise control) - DIY

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not much more work at all. I think it's easier not to as it holds the steering wheel tight to pull off the trim the connectors are in. Also don't have to deal with the possibility of the clockspring spinning or putting the steering wheel back on crooked.
I also left the steering wheel attached, and just pulled the trim. Seemed kind of brutal, but the trim is tough and pliable.

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just need to know if everyone who has disconnected the airbag, first disconnected the neg. of the battery and waited 15 to 30 minutes before removing it. Thanks.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just need to know if everyone who has disconnected the airbag, first disconnected the neg. of the battery and waited 15 to 30 minutes before removing it. Thanks.
If you don't, does that void your warranty? Just kidding but you will be asked that.

Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I actually split it and walked to grab tools for the steering wheel, so probably 15-20 minutes between disconnecting the battery and the airbag, though it wasn't an intentional waiting period. I am not an electrical engineer but I am doubting there is enough power left to do anything, either wait if you are worried or turn the headlights on / hit the horn to feel comfortable