Sponsored

How-to remove factory steering wheel switches (for installing other switches such as cruise control) - DIY

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did have to remove the airbag. Super simple on this one
Then I think one more bolt to take the steering wheel off doesn't seem like that much more work...
Sponsored

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Throwing a quick set of pictures up on my phone for removing the factory steering wheel switches, all you need is a flathead screwdriver and a t8 torx, use the random holes in the steering wheel from behind to pry and push the little tabs with the flathead and it'll pop right off, then use the torx for the screws holding the switches on.

PXL_20211231_011133929.jpg

PXL_20211231_011154904.jpg

PXL_20211231_011255476.jpg

PXL_20211231_011547332.jpg

PXL_20211231_012740376.jpg

PXL_20211231_012858416.jpg
Would you be able to provide the part numbers for the 2 XLT switches with cruise control?

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't sweat removing the airbag. I did, and then found that it was a simple task. I could have it off and then back on again in a few seconds now. You'll see what I mean.

If the fear is that you will somehow fire it, that will not happen if you do it with the battery disconnected.

Mkuket

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Then I think one more bolt to take the steering wheel off doesn't seem like that much more work...
It's not much more work at all. I think it's easier not to as it holds the steering wheel tight to pull off the trim the connectors are in. Also don't have to deal with the possibility of the clockspring spinning or putting the steering wheel back on crooked.

Sponsored

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello all, thank you for making this a possibility. I should be getting my XL next week. I fear trying this but want to so bad. Can someone do a video of this process that we can follow?? Please!!!!

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Kaytu

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello all, thank you for making this a possibility. I should be getting my XL next week. I fear trying this but want to so bad. Can someone do a video of this process that we can follow?? Please!!!!
Just got my video for this process complete!

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Nice video. Does anyone know if the switch that is for speed limiting and not cruise control would work the same for cruise control? I would guess a switch is a switch regardless of the marking?
Ford Maverick How-to remove factory steering wheel switches (for installing other switches such as cruise control) - DIY 1645405954034

Sponsored

Kaytu

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice video. Does anyone know if the switch that is for speed limiting and not cruise control would work the same for cruise control? I would guess a switch is a switch regardless of the marking?
1645405954034.png
From personal experience I can confirm it will not, sadly. I've got one of those switches from the same style wheel - you'll have to replace the left button cluster should you order one of those euro wheels, but it -will- come with the right cluster you need.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From personal experience I can confirm it will not, sadly. I've got one of those switches from the same style wheel - you'll have to replace the left button cluster should you order one of those euro wheels, but it -will- come with the right cluster you need.
Thanks for saving me the time and expense in testing this myself. I appreciate your help and knowledge.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Incredibly valuable video! I have worked on a lot of fragile / tiny parts stuff when I ran did repairs for a business that offered Airsoft, so most of this is not intimidating, however the video is gold! Waiting on the mailman with switches to come today, but with the video got the airbag and trim out no problems. Thank you for your contribution!

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Incredibly valuable video! I have worked on a lot of fragile / tiny parts stuff when I ran did repairs for a business that offered Airsoft, so most of this is not intimidating, however the video is gold! Waiting on the mailman with switches to come today, but with the video got the airbag and trim out no problems. Thank you for your contribution!
I am loving the new C.C. It really works great. I did have to request a revised software version that would recognize my XL EB. Latest release was 2.3.47 which worked great.

golfbymagic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did have to remove the airbag. Super simple on this one
When you remove the airbag, that removes the center cover of the steering wheel right?
Sponsored