Sponsored

General tips on ordering negotiations for 2022 Maverick? Is it even possible?

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey everyone!

So i've actually never bought a new car before, but my 30 year old Volvo is at 290,000, i'm in a good financial situation, and as a former owner of an early 90's Ranger, i'm stoked to see a compact truck so I want this to be my new car when it comes out. I'm in Oregon where we happily enjoy no state tax, so that's gonna win out over the guys offering -4% invoice price on here.

So my question is if there's any realistic chance of negotiating something below sticker price? It doesn't seem like a very good place to stand on negotiation wise since we're essentially letting them know "HEY I WANT THIS TRUCK SUPER BAD" by reserving and building a truck to your particular spec. Maybe try to withhold some of the options I want and see if I can get a discount on those bits? IE: I want an XLT with the luxury trim, manual window, bed extender, paint protection, so maybe I ask them to throw in the moonroof? Or should I just be happy with sticker plus fees since it's a brand new model, it's already cheap, and it's maybe the worst time to buy a car in 40 years?

Also I keep seeing people here saying their orders are confirmed. I've "reserved" one on the Ford website and had my local dealer call me and essentially say "we will let you know when we can order it". Is that an allocation thing? I'm in a rural area so maybe they don't get to order as quickly as bigger dealers in the city? I felt like I'd be getting bombarded by salespeople more lol.

Anyways, sorry if any of these were talked about previously, and thanks for answering my questions!
Sponsored

TheBear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless you’re ordering from one of the mentioned dealers, pretty much expect to pay MSRP. That seems to be the trend for cars in this car market and it was actually nice walking into the dealer without sweating the negotiation part. You may encounter dealers who are marking up the price, so you will want to confirm no additional markup.

I’m not a dealer but from my understanding, orders are open so your dealer may misunderstand that part. You might have to locate a more knowledgeable dealer or coach your current one through the process, but you should ask to get it ordered ASAP so that it gets scheduled for production.

I’m a fellow PNWer and I just went with my local Ford, confirmed no markup, no deposit, and they took my DL photo and signed build sheet and I had the Ford order email confirmation within 30 minutes. Super easy.

Granger Ford

2.0L EcoBoost
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Jarrod,

Yes your local dealer can order it. I'd check with 2-3 different dealerships semi-local to you on pricing. Like mentioned before a lot of dealers are a little bit greedy in this market to get MSRP or better on pricing. Getting invoice should be a reasonable ask from a dealer close to you and is be less concerned with the reservation you currently have and more interested in getting a dealership that'll treat me right.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
A lot of this comes down to one's personal threshold for haggling and headaches. For me, I preferred this approach:
1. Pay $35 to the Mustang Club of America for a membership, so I can get X Plan pricing PIN.
2. Email local dealers with your wants and let them respond. For me, I required them to accept X plan, not require any dealer adds (like undercoating) and have at least a refundable deposit.

I immediately found a place that fit all my criteria and did not require a deposit of any kind. Sure, I paid a bit more than a lot of the folks hitting up the "under invoice" dealerships but that was more than worth it to know that, for the most part? All of the headaches I usually associate with a new car purchase were avoided except the trade in that I still have to deal with, assuming I even trade anything in.Gaing my time back is well worth the extra price I'm paying.

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need to decide how much aggravation you want to deal with for $900 (3% of $30k). Since you kept your last car for 30 years, you are looking at $2.5 month…
Good luck and enjoy

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jcj280

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey thanks for the info everyone. Tried another dealer a bit further out, they said come on in, and we did the order no problem. Had to do a $100 deposit but that's reasonable to me. Final cost of my build was $27,450 (same as the website) and with standard fees it comes out to $28,205. The staff was good, and they were honest about not being sure how long it would take, but "November ish, possibly December" seems to be the consensus. Works for me, happy to be in the club.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't understand everyone's rush to order a vehicle that isn't even on dealer lots yet, especially if you've gone 30 years with the same car already, whats a few months?

The very first batch are those that are likely to have the most initial bugs to work out, and I have never been able to pick a vehicle sight unseen because brand new vehicles can have issues that you have to inspect first.

For example when we were shopping for Dodge Chargers we had to rule out the first one we liked because the hood alignment was out of whack and protrusion on the rear passenger door also seemed excessive running your finger down it compared to the others that were perfectly even and flush. You have to drive the individual one around and listen for noises and what not as even purchasing our Mercedes GLA we found one made a rattle sound, popped off the big plastic engine cover and noticed that they plastic weld this metal plate to the bottom of it, and one of the parts where it melts a plastic tab in place was missing causing it to vibrate. You can handle some of that under warranty, but who wants to deal with warranty problems when these are mass produced vehicles and they'll probably pump a hundred thousand of these out every year?

I'm not bothering to try and negotiate until plenty of these are sitting on every Ford dealer's lots and I can test drive the one I decide on with a couple "runners up" to fall back to if that one has issues and they don't have another similar one on the lot, which I'm guessing will be a non-issue by January or February.

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't understand everyone's rush to order a vehicle that isn't even on dealer lots yet, especially if you've gone 30 years with the same car already, whats a few months?

The very first batch are those that are likely to have the most initial bugs to work out, and I have never been able to pick a vehicle sight unseen because brand new vehicles can have issues that you have to inspect first.

For example when we were shopping for Dodge Chargers we had to rule out the first one we liked because the hood alignment was out of whack and protrusion on the rear passenger door also seemed excessive running your finger down it compared to the others that were perfectly even and flush. You have to drive the individual one around and listen for noises and what not as even purchasing our Mercedes GLA we found one made a rattle sound, popped off the big plastic engine cover and noticed that they plastic weld this metal plate to the bottom of it, and one of the parts where it melts a plastic tab in place was missing causing it to vibrate. You can handle some of that under warranty, but who wants to deal with warranty problems when these are mass produced vehicles and they'll probably pump a hundred thousand of these out every year?

I'm not bothering to try and negotiate until plenty of these are sitting on every Ford dealer's lots and I can test drive the one I decide on with a couple "runners up" to fall back to if that one has issues and they don't have another similar one on the lot, which I'm guessing will be a non-issue by January or February.
If you have the luxury of time... this is the best approach. Me, I need a replacement and I don't want to be in a panic of needing a vehicle ASAP because my current (very old) ride has failed or needs significant repairs. That could taint negotiations!

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you have the luxury of time... this is the best approach. Me, I need a replacement and I don't want to be in a panic of needing a vehicle ASAP because my current (very old) ride has failed or needs significant repairs. That could taint negotiations!
Yeah. That is a good reason. Also, I want the options and color I want for the first time ever. I don’t feel like having to search and find the one I want with a dealer (if it is actually there) and then having to go through the song and dance to get a good price, wasting an entire day’s time months from now. If it doesn’t work out at that dealer I have to do it all over again. No, thank you. I don’t like taking time off work. Car shopping is not my favorite thing and I’d much rather circumvent the process.

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
I simply stopped by (do it in person, not over the phone) the few dealers and asked if they can order Maverick for me at invoice price. First one declined, second agreed. Saves time as there is no negotiation at all, just straight to sales manager to order. Have you config ready, so they do not need to ask you every detail about the car/options you want to purchase.

Last edited:
Sponsored

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alternatively you can join the mustang club and get XPlan which is effectively invoice. Just to note you have to be a member for 3 months before it takes effect (I.e. take delivery and sign paperwork ). You do have to notify dealers that you are XPlan while ordering as well, just an FYI

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I love my 2019 Ranger but...my wife does not, and we are possibly going down to 1 vehicle soon (it will NOT be her turbo Fiat!!!). The Maverick for me is the perfect storm - having a pickup that rides like an SUV, will have similar (if not slightly better) performance to my Ranger (which is fun to drive!), and probably slightly better MPG. That, coupled with the fact that after 19 months of ownership, I can turn around and sell the Ranger for $2-3k more than I paid for it are the reasons I'm picking this up asap.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte

A big part of the appeal of the Maverick is its entry price. 20k for a crew cab truck is appealing. 30k would likely put it out of my reach. And I don't expect to see too many on dealerships lots, let alone on them XL trim level. I ordered an XL with the 2.0 ecoboost and the 4k towing. I threw in a drop in bedliner and full size spare. That puts me right where I want to be on price and still gives me all of the features that I need and most of the features in want. (I want vinyl floors and cruise control.) So i'm getting one for under 25k. I don't expect to see a single Maverick on a dealership lot for that price, even after haggling.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A big part of the appeal of the Maverick is its entry price. 20k for a crew cab truck is appealing. 30k would likely put it out of my reach. And I don't expect to see too many on dealerships lots, let alone on them XL trim level. I ordered an XL with the 2.0 ecoboost and the 4k towing. I threw in a drop in bedliner and full size spare. That puts me right where I want to be on price and still gives me all of the features that I need and most of the features in want. (I want vinyl floors and cruise control.) So i'm getting one for under 25k. I don't expect to see a single Maverick on a dealership lot for that price, even after haggling.
You will, our Dodge truck was $41K MSRP, haggled down to $30K out the door as a last year leftover model. Its a 09 and due for replacement, but there's no reason to panic buy like the self-induced toilet paper deal where people were paying big bucks for single ply when they had plenty of TP at home.

The Maverick is based on the Escape. Right now there are 218 Escapes sitting on dealer lots within a 100 mile radius of my house. And that's just the ones that bother paying for an advertisement on Autotrader, meaning there's probably 300. The Escape was a brand new model just a year ago, and crossovers are as popular as ever and yet you can see some in that list with $29K MSRPs being advertised for just over $21K.

Best to slow your roll and not give in to the hype and pay full MSRP (or more with dealer fees).

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
You will, our Dodge truck was $41K MSRP, haggled down to $30K out the door as a last year leftover model. Its a 09 and due for replacement, but there's no reason to panic buy like the self-induced toilet paper deal where people were paying big bucks for single ply when they had plenty of TP at home.

The Maverick is based on the Escape. Right now there are 218 Escapes sitting on dealer lots within a 100 mile radius of my house. And that's just the ones that bother paying for an advertisement on Autotrader, meaning there's probably 300. The Escape was a brand new model just a year ago, and crossovers are as popular as ever and yet you can see some in that list with $29K MSRPs being advertised for just over $21K.

Best to slow your roll and not give in to the hype and pay full MSRP (or more with dealer fees).
The Escape wasn't a brand new model just a year ago. It's been around for 2 decades. Sure, there are redesigns every few years, but it doesn't make sense to compare that to the release of a brand new model. The simple fact is that there is nothing on them market (yet) that is even comparable to the Maverick. And I think it's going to be a bigger hit than Ford realizes. I expect the price to go up for the next model year. And I expect dealers to mark them up, not down.
Sponsored