Fx4 + 4k tow vs Tremor

Mav as heck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
You do realize when a wheel is off the ground and an intelligent AWD system sends power to said wheel, you have no traction. A locking diff fixes this. Watch some test videos from Driving Sports TV (YouTube) and you can see this.
You do realize that Driving Sports TV took their FX4 places that 95-99% of Tremor owners won't have the balls to even attempt, right?

Of course the reason they won't attempt it is the meager ground clearance... which is the point you're ignoring because the Tremor doesn't fix that in a meaningful way.
Sponsored

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ZR2
In that case i can hopefully reverse and pick a different line! I dont see myself getting into situations that pick my truck off the ground with no way out , thats Jeep country not a Mav with 9 inch clearance. I hope to lift my Mav when we have an affordable solution that does not affect the geometry too much,
The fordrangerlifts one looks to be pretty well thought out.

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150, 2001 F350 Diesel Dually, 2019 Kia Soul
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Given you're a self-proclaimed off-roading guru I suppose you already know how limiting the lack of a low range and meager ground clearance on the Tremor is going to be.

I'd also point out the Maverick's AWD system is a little more sophisticated than the slip-n-grip on early AWD vehicles. At low speeds it isn't waiting to detect slip to send power to the rear wheels. It's already sending power.
Low range would be great but other than in crawling situations, it does little to help ability. It just removes the ability finesse some stuff.

Ground clearance on the Maverick isn't near as bad as most try to make it sound. You realize a Dana 60 axle only has around 12 inches of clearance on 40" tire or that a stock RZR 900 only has about 10? Most hard-core wheeling rigs are aim for a 20" belly and 10-12 of ground clearance.

I've already addressed that the Maverick's awd is great, probably one of the best. It's still an awd system that brakes the spinning tire to try to get the tire with traction to spin. Having one wheel braking while the other searches for isn't the best way to keep moving.

Mav as heck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
We get it, you hate the Tremor and think it's pointless. Not sure why you need to lurk in the Tremor section just to do nothing but crap on it. Kinda suss. You are happy with the FX4, that should be all that matters.
Not sure why you're having a hissy fit because I gave my opinion on capabilities of the FX4 vs Tremor in a thread specifically dedicated to it. Seems kind of "suss." :unsure:

Lets keep the discussion about the trucks and not other members. Why you gotta be all butt hurt?

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Given you're a self-proclaimed off-roading guru I suppose you already know how limiting the lack of a low range and meager ground clearance on the Tremor is going to be.

I'd also point out the Maverick's AWD system is a little more sophisticated than the slip-n-grip on early AWD vehicles. At low speeds it isn't waiting to detect slip to send power to the rear wheels. It's already sending power.
The rear diff in the Tremor is different compared to the standard AWD. The Tremor utilizes a Dana AdvanTEK system that can send 100% of the torque going to that unit to one wheel and can also simulate a locking rear diff with its clutch pack.

Also the FX4 minimum clearance is 8.6 vs the Tremor’s 9.4” so you’ll gain 0.2” with the 1” lift. That also doesn’t solve your approach angle problem.

The FX4 is great especially since you can get the tow package but I’ll take the Tremor trim, personally.

Sponsored

Mav as heck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Nobody butt hurt here, just interesting you are in multiple threads dogging the Tremor. If you don't have the basic understanding of how a locking diff provides advantages in off-roading, there's not really much to discuss with you about. Stay agro or Mav as heck. Lol.
Between you and the guy that thinks RZRs only have 10" of clearance this thread is a laugh and a half.

Sorry kiddo. You threw a hissy fit because you're emotionally invested in a truck and didn't like that someone called your baby dumb and ugly. Get over it and move on... and stop stalking my post history you creep.

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You do realize that Driving Sports TV took their FX4 places that 95-99% of Tremor owners won't have the balls to even attempt, right?
There's the issue. I like that guys videos and I watched all his Maverick stuff but his test course was the only I recall him going on anything other then county roads with it.

Many of us drive those exact roads daily or at least a few time a week all winter to access hunting spots.

I didn't order a Tremor for an off road vehicle, I have a crawler and a SXS for that. I ordered a Tremor because I needed a DD, with a bed, that would at least as capable offroad as a live axle vehicle with open diffs, fit in a parking spot, do some light duty towing and get 20 mpg. I would have went FX4/4K if the Tremor hadn't been announced but was nervous it wouldn't be as capable as my 2012 F150 (open diff w/traction control) that it will replace.

The main route a travel is the worst senerio for an awd, irs car. Up hill, muddy with water breaks that will lift tires on irs cars. When it's dry a front wheel drive with a decent driver can make it. When it's wet you need 4wd. Snow or spring thaw you need 4wd with traction control or at least 1 locker. This is with live axle vehicles that don't lift tires.

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Between you and the guy that thinks RZRs only have 10" of clearance this thread is a laugh and a half
Ford Maverick Fx4 + 4k tow vs Tremor Screenshot_20220922_233829

Your really making yourself look more and more like a fool.

Mav as heck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Screenshot_20220922_233829.jpg

Your really making yourself look more and more like a fool.
*you're - learn to spell before you start calling people names.

What's foolish is posting this garbage when you know perfectly well that they're coming with more than that these days.

Mav as heck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Oh the name calling, how hurtful. Why so combative? You think you are winning something but you just come across as a jerk. Have fun being pissy, little man. I'm not feeding the troll anymore.
The meltdown continues. Get over it, kid.

Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I plan to get the Tremor myself. My driveway is like 30 degrees, has a 180 degree switchback that rolls into its steepest part and has decent ruts through out the turn. You kinda have to hit it and follow through with a steady pedal limiting wheelspin. Trucks always need 4x4, some SUVs like my 96 Bronco with Trac-Lock rear can do it in 2wd with skill. Also at the bottom of my driveway is a ditch for mountain run off during storms. Its at the low point of the valley and a little over a foot deep and just under 3ft wide. Kinda of a mini notch. I cross over that to get to my house. If we got a FX4 we would need to lift it and put the bigger tires(235s to start then 245/70s eventually) on it to clear the rut on the hill and to not scrape bumpers on the ditch notch. The Tremor has the improved bumper a better skid plates for the ruts and the fancy rear diff to keep things smooth climbing the driveway. The FX4 would do it, but it would work hard and need mods to avoid scrapage. The Tremor for about $1000 more than FX4k w/235s will do it all just fine. We are not getting rid of our Bronco and it will tow over 5000lbs with a smile. So really the 4k isnt a deal breaker and I dont have a problem bending the rules if I have to tow 4000lbs a few miles out of convienece once in rare while.

Thats my justifications. The price isnt a big difference so if you have the needs the Tremor is a better place to start. If you need to tow 4000lbs then thats your other answer.
Where do you live??

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Where do you live??
Right across the road from Twin Falls Maui. About 2 miles outside of the rainforest and a quarter mile from the cliffs. All off grid, we got 3 acres of 50 to 80ft deep valley.

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
I’ll just add that states ground clearances are usually minimum heights. So the Tremor has at least 9.4 inches of clearance somewhere under the truck.
Sponsored