First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the Ford tracking website for my just scheduled (YEAH!) Tremor, it says it has an "upgraded drive ratio".

One of the most technical reviews of the Tremor says that it has a 3.81 final drive ratio.

https://www.theautopian.com/i-took-...emors-off-road-hardware-heres-what-i-learned/

The Bronco Sport Badlands with the same dual clutch mechanicals has a 3.81 final drive ratio.

The higher drive ratio might also account for the lesser than expected mpg of the Tremor.

I expect that numbers on the datasheet are merely evidence of Ford's inconsistency/incompetence in communications.
Whether it does or doesn't the final drive ratio is not the reason for the lower MPG rating. If that was the case the 4k tow packages would also be lower and they aren't.

Assuming the data sheet is wrong then the 3.81 final drive ratio would provide better acceleration and torque at low speeds and less heating in the tranny.
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the Ford tracking website for my just scheduled (YEAH!) Tremor, it says it has an "upgraded drive ratio".

One of the most technical reviews of the Tremor says that it has a 3.81 final drive ratio.

https://www.theautopian.com/i-took-...emors-off-road-hardware-heres-what-i-learned/

The Bronco Sport Badlands with the same dual clutch mechanicals has a 3.81 final drive ratio.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/bronco-sport/2022-Bronco-Sport-Tech-Specs.pdf

The higher drive ratio might also account for the lesser than expected mpg of the Tremor.

I expect that numbers on the datasheet are merely evidence of Ford's inconsistency/incompetence in communications.
I've always felt the FDR was 3.8 simply because, 1 the Tremors intended use and 2 upgraded tire size, 3 Autopian brief comment. Makes no sense to hobble off road performance with the 3.6 ratio. Should be noted that all 2022 Sports have the 3.8 not just the Badlands.

As for the opinion the Tremor has a smaller radiator, the very same PDF content sheet often treated as the last word claims all 2.0L Mavericks have the same coolant capacity.

OP
OP

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I suppose that the next question is, for those in the northern climes or who want to live dangerously, can you enable tow mode in Forscan like you can enable eco and sport mode?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Maybe someone can look up the radiator capacity in their Tremor Owners Manual. That could help with that ID. Anybody think they still put a drive ratio stamp on the diff housings?

Honestly my first assumption with the 2k towing capacity was the springs. They are unique and if they are softer with stiffer shocks(for offroading) then that will decrease the towing right there. Same reason why the Taco TFL did a VS of had a 900lb payload capacity. Extra equipment weight and soft springs. That would mean all we need to make our Mavericks safe for towing 4k, even if they arent legal, is to put some firestone bags in the rear coils.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is mostly just down to cooling. To get the 30° approach angle, the Tremor cannot use the larger heavy duty radiator from 4k Towing pack. The Tremor will still be highly capable of towing 2k lbs, but Ford's standards for 4k truck towing are extremely stringent.
The Tremor has the same radiator and cooling fan as the Bronco Sport Badlands, which is not shared with the 4k Towing Package. The Tremor/Badlands radiator is shorter in order to accommodate the 30° approach angle.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think the EPA rating and real-world MPG is due to the tires. I put 5,000 miles on a First Edition Ecoboost non-4K which has the 235/65-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W that the Tremor has been getting delivered with. (I said it this way because the Tremor marketing photos on shop.ford.com configurator look like Toyo Open Country. But everyone so far has the Wildpeak I believe.)

At any rate, on Wildpeak with 3.73 gears I got 24.1 mpg mostly going 70-84 on the highway. On my current truck, another ecoboost but with the 225/60-18 Michelin Primacy all-season tires and the 3.81 ratio with 4K towing, I was getting 26.2 before winter. (Winter gas blend steals 2-3 mpg every year, any vehicle I drive.)

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Try Phoenix with 60+ days a year over 110 and some reaching 120.
That reason alone is justification for the 4K package. Sonoran Desert both in Sonora and Arizona, 75 to 80mph highway speeds, and 110-120degF heats. Want all of the extra cooling that comes with the package.

What I'm not sure of is what exactly does the FX4 package boost in terms of the radiator cooling fan... It looks like it's the same thing in both the 4K and FX4, but just a different way of wording it in the package descriptions.

Ford Maverick Transmission coolers- 4k tow vs. Tremor 1683659188027

Ford Maverick Transmission coolers- 4k tow vs. Tremor 1683659254875

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That reason alone is justification for the 4K package. Sonoran Desert both in Sonora and Arizona, 75 to 80mph highway speeds, and 110-120degF heats. Want all of the extra cooling that comes with the package.

What I'm not sure of is what exactly does the FX4 package boost in terms of the radiator cooling fan... It looks like it's the same thing in both the 4K and FX4, but just a different way of wording it in the package descriptions.

1683659188027.png

1683659254875.png
Tremor has a smaller intercooler too, because of the higher ground clearance fascia. Arizona is hell.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This was the conclusion I had as well. Same engine, same transmission, same brakes. It's the radiator. Possibly something in the shocks, but that doesn't seem like something that would create an issue.

To me the Tremor could handle 4k fine, if not for short hauls that wouldn't get the radiator and transmission Temps up. I also have some concerns over heat discharge of the Tremor in very hot climates not towing. That would be why FX4 got a radiator upgrade, but Tremor did not. That was honestly one reason I went FX4 vs Tremor, a good bit of my time off road is in very hot Texas summer.
If you look at the engineering magazines about the Ford Maverick they state that the transmissions limitations are mostly due to the cooling. For example the hybrid CVT has a pipe on the side of the radiator, that's it, just a pipe. It does not have a dedicated transmission cooler like the 4K

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maybe someone can look up the radiator capacity in their Tremor Owners Manual. That could help with that ID. Anybody think they still put a drive ratio stamp on the diff housings?

Honestly my first assumption with the 2k towing capacity was the springs. They are unique and if they are softer with stiffer shocks(for offroading) then that will decrease the towing right there. Same reason why the Taco TFL did a VS of had a 900lb payload capacity. Extra equipment weight and soft springs. That would mean all we need to make our Mavericks safe for towing 4k, even if they arent legal, is to put some firestone bags in the rear coils.
Inthe engineering magazines they say that the limiting factor for Maverick is mostly transmission cooling

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the EPA rating and real-world MPG is due to the tires. I put 5,000 miles on a First Edition Ecoboost non-4K which has the 235/65-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W that the Tremor has been getting delivered with. (I said it this way because the Tremor marketing photos on shop.ford.com configurator look like Toyo Open Country. But everyone so far has the Wildpeak I believe.)

At any rate, on Wildpeak with 3.73 gears I got 24.1 mpg mostly going 70-84 on the highway. On my current truck, another ecoboost but with the 225/60-18 Michelin Primacy all-season tires and the 3.81 ratio with 4K towing, I was getting 26.2 before winter. (Winter gas blend steals 2-3 mpg every year, any vehicle I drive.)
DANG! I'm averaging 25mpgs with 265/65/17 on my XLT 4k. That's mixed driving somewhere in the neighborhood of 60/40 surface streets to highway. Hopefully I will be able to get a tank on the highway tonsee what the highway mileage is like.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

1683659188027.png

1683659254875.png
Looks like 4K has a transmission cooler and FX package does not…..
Sponsored