Sponsored

Tremor VS FX4 for those who've driven BOTH!

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wondered , its been on my mind, but was guessing it wouldnt be much difference. I doubt i will get much of a test drive when my 2024 shows up, hopefully in november. I kind of doubt they will let me take it on gravel roads. It will probably be a drive around a small town and a little bit of interstate. You never know though till the day arrives.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For people who have driven xlt, fx4 and xlt tremor...

Was the tremor as quick as the fx4? I am really happy with my fx4 throttle response. I have been wondering if the tremor package would steal any of the quickness.

I am not talking about how much high speed it has. More like takeoff from a stop light, or passing a slow moving truck on a paved two lane road or a gravel road.
Passed 3 cars at once yesterday. Do I want more power one day? Yes. Do I need it? Nope.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Tremor handles more sharply (more nimble) and ride is generally smoother. It's just an all-around, more refined ride than the FX4. And yes, this is all ON ROAD. We owned a Tremor for two months but ended up selling it for various reasons -- mostly because my wife wanted to go back to an SUV.

I kept my lifted FX4 with the 4K Tow package, because I feel it's a better "all around" truck between the off-road capability (although more limited than the Tremor), better fuel economy and double the towing capacity vs. the Tremor. Had towing capacity between the two trims been equal, I probably would have kept the Tremor and sold the FX4, because the Tremor was that much better in terms of overall handling.

I wish I was a suspension expert so I could tell you exactly WHY the Tremor felt so much more refined on pavement than the FX4, but I can't. You also have to bear in mind that my FX4 is lifted 2 inches on Eibach springs. So, I am sure that gives it a bit stiffer ride and more body lean than it had at stock height. My lifted FX4 with the lift springs and 245/7017 tires sits 2 inches HIGHER than a Tremor.

It is also notable that the Tremor pipes in fake engine noise to the cabin. I don't know if I even would have noticed except for the fact that this is NOT present in my FX4. It definitely makes the Tremor sound a lot more meaty than the FX4. It actually sounds great compared to my FX4 TBH. Again, just not enough to make it a better all-around option for me than the FX4 4K combo.

As for off-road, we honestly never really even took the Tremor off roading in the time we had it (2,500 miles), so really can't compare off-road vs. off-road. However, having driven both, and used my FX4 off road a bit, my guess is that the FX4 can do ALMOST anything a Tremor can do. IMO, ground clearance if the biggest limiting factor on the Maverick, and I already addressed that with my FX4, to the point it is superior to the Tremor. The standard AWD system has worked great so far, and my guess is there are relatively few situations I'll encounter over the life of truck ownership that I will really wish I had the locking rear diff of the Tremor.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

OP
OP

Skold

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Tremor handles more sharply (more nimble) and ride is generally smoother...
This post is almost exactly my best guess not having driven either really based on all of the data I've gathered and also my conclusion based on that theory. I appreciate the long and detailed information and perspective. As much as I'd love some of the aspects of the Tremor, I'm afraid I'll miss the extra gas mileage and towing of the FX4 and can make up for the vast majority of the shortcomings via mods.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I spent a week in both, an FX4 and a Tremor. My take is that they essentially drive virtually the same on and off road in terms of power, handling and road noise.

The difference obviously comes when you start really pushing it into more challenging terrain. You have extra ground clearance to give you a bit more confidence to not only go further but perhaps faster in the bush. When things get slippery or tractionless, you have the better AWD system that allows you more control and ultimately capability to get out. You can manually "lock" the AWD system (at least a simulated lock) with the Tremor. You cannot force AWD with the FX4, only dial up the drive mode to max and hope the computer gives you its best decision making.

Every day handling feel is a bit heavier with the Tremor and you do notice the taller profile throwing it around a curve but the difference is not that vast.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is proving to be an almost impossible decision but I think the 2k tow and lower gas mileage are keeping me from going with the Tremor over the FX4. Then again, the front bumper clearance is a clear winner for the Tremor and I'm not sure that can be overcome with the FX4. I doubt ride is much better on the Tremor back to back but if it is, I imagine suspension is the difference and that can be reproduced/improved on the FX4. Lastly, I fear the compromises made with the cooling/breathing for the Tremor front bumper plus the complexity of the 4x4 system add additional things that can go wrong...but maybe not.
Sounds like you've made up your mind and you want people to try and convince you otherwise.

Go enjoy your FX4 and don't second guess the decision!

OP
OP

Skold

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like you've made up your mind and you want people to try and convince you otherwise.

Go enjoy your FX4 and don't second guess the decision!
I hadn't when I started the thread and have been back and forth a lot but thanks to everyone's (including yours) input, I was able to sort it out. I will be happy with my decision as you really can't go wrong either way.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hadn't when I started the thread and have been back and forth a lot but thanks to everyone's (including yours) input, I was able to sort it out. I will be happy with my decision as you really can't go wrong either way.
I don't think there is a bad choice with the Maverick - Hybrid, FX4 (4K), Tremor.

I think your concerns are valid regarding MPGs. Since picking it up I am averaging just over 24mpg over 2,200 miles - all fill ups (except 1) being 93 top tier fuel.

For the sake of math - if 87 is $4.00/gal in my area 93 runs $1.00 more per gal - that is a 25% premium - or taken the other way means my MPG when accounting for the 93 upcharge is really about 19mpg or the same equivalent as a full size rocking a v8 - not good.

MavFromTheDead

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Personally, I'm superficial and I like the way the Tremor looks more, so that makes it worth it to me 😅. Also, I get to talk friendly smack to my buddy that has an FX4. Bottom line: If you want to tow, FX4 with 4k, if you want to wheel and like the look more, go Tremor. Even though I chose the Tremor, I know the FX4 4k is more practical. I however don't care about that and like standing out just a bit.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Personally, I'm superficial and I like the way the Tremor looks more, so that makes it worth it to me 😅. Also, I get to talk friendly smack to my buddy that has an FX4. Bottom line: If you want to tow, FX4 with 4k, if you want to wheel and like the look more, go Tremor. Even though I chose the Tremor, I know the FX4 4k is more practical. I however don't care about that and like standing out just a bit.
Appreciate and respect the honesty of your response. Only in jest, but the 10-year-old inside me wants to shout, "Oh yeah? Well, my lifted FX4 will murderize your Tremor!"

🤣🤣🤣

Ford Maverick Tremor VS FX4 for those who've driven BOTH! IMG_0471

Seriously though, maybe we need to organize the first-ever Maverick OFF-ROAD MEETUP?

MavFromTheDead

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Appreciate and respect the honesty of your response. Only in jest, but the 10-year-old inside me wants to shout, "Oh yeah? Well, my lifted FX4 will murderize your Tremor!"

🤣🤣🤣

IMG_0471.jpeg

Seriously though, maybe we need to organize the first-ever Maverick OFF-ROAD MEETUP?
Don't threaten me with a good time!
Sponsored