Sponsored

Tremor VS FX4 for those who've driven BOTH!

Skold

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've heard all of the common arguments and comparisons for each but for those who have driven both, specifically how does one drive better than the other on and off road (mostly on)? Most people say the Tremor drives noticeably better on the road too but don't specifically say why or in what ways. Any real world feedback is appreciated!!!
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

mdub311

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Tremor Avalanche Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I test drove both before I bought my Tremor. Only on streets and not off road. The ride was significantly smoother in the Tremor over the FX4. I attribute that to the tuning and upgraded suspension components on the Tremor.

OP
OP

Skold

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I test drove both before I bought my Tremor. Only on streets and not off road. The ride was significantly smoother in the Tremor over the FX4. I attribute that to the tuning and upgraded suspension components on the Tremor.
Smoother as in softer? What about agility and such? My suspicion is the Tremor suspension is softer/mushier which may make for a more comfortable ride but is maybe not as agile or performance based on-road.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Smoother as in softer? What about agility and such? My suspicion is the Tremor suspension is softer/mushier which may make for a more comfortable ride but is maybe not as agile or performance based on-road.
a number of reviewers that have driven both preferred the Tremor on road. keep in mind the payload is slightly lower

start watching at 8 minute mark, best color BTW

Sponsored

chriswimm

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor XLT, Cactus grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I owned both (in XLT trim) at the same time briefly and drove them back to back new, but only on road. It was the Tremor I held onto (and still own) for various reasons.

I would say the FX4 (had 4K tow) felt more like a car, you could feel it was lower and the ride less refined whereas the Tremor felt more like an SUV being noticeably taller and plusher. Having said that I think the Tremor felt more composed on the road in general with the extra plushness and ride height not harming the handling and actually making it feel quite a bit better to me.

so all other things aside I think the Tremor felt a bit better in every way, as others have said it seems likely that it has better technology suspension components.

On rough dirt roads the Tremor rides super well and can comfortably cruise at high speeds. I didn’t try the FX4 in those conditions but I think it would be considerably less smooth based on the road manners.

Obviously there are many other factors to compare between the two when choosing but sticking to the specific question.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I ordered both but ended up with a Tremor and so glad I did. The shocks have a hydraulic internal bump stop that's pretty cool. I haven't been able to bottom them out yet. I even ripped it around over some drainage dips in a gravel road and my side of the island is covered in speed tables. It just handles everything.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Tremor has stiffer shocks and softer springs. Basically firmer but with a bit more body roll, but only till it stays into it's "on rails" stance.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered both but ended up with a Tremor and so glad I did. The shocks have a hydraulic internal bump stop that's pretty cool. I haven't been able to bottom them out yet. I even ripped it around over some drainage dips in a gravel road and my side of the island is covered in speed tables. It just handles everything.
I have,.....but it took 50+ mph on washboard roads and I was....trying to 😎

I have not driven an FX4. I have driven an AWD EB, and I found the ride of the Tremor to be more "truck like" in that it has that road compliance where it just soaks up imperfections where the AWD EB was composed but could get rattled easier.

I attribute it to the suspension - but also the tires - so you can probably get a similar result with an FX4 and Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws - NO - you won't have the suspension tuning but that will help a lot.

That said - I love my Tremor and wouldn't have it any other way.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have,.....but it took 50+ mph on washboard roads and I was....trying to 😎

I have not driven an FX4. I have driven an AWD EB, and I found the ride of the Tremor to be more "truck like" in that it has that road compliance where it just soaks up imperfections where the AWD EB was composed but could get rattled easier.

I attribute it to the suspension - but also the tires - so you can probably get a similar result with an FX4 and Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws - NO - you won't have the suspension tuning but that will help a lot.

That said - I love my Tremor and wouldn't have it any other way.
I think I slowed down right before that limit where my $4000 topper would self eject:ROFLMAO: it's about a 1/8 throttle after your wife's nails dig into your thigh!

Sponsored

ejgroth2620

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've heard all of the common arguments and comparisons for each but for those who have driven both, specifically how does one drive better than the other on and off road (mostly on)? Most people say the Tremor drives noticeably better on the road too but don't specifically say why or in what ways. Any real world feedback is appreciated!!!
I've driven both and bought the Tremor. So far my driving has all been on road, and I attribute the smoother ride with the Tremor being due to it's softer suspension and longer travel. I found the ride in the FX4 to be more harsh when traveling over bumps and road imperfections. With no weight in the bed, the FX4 ride can be jarring.

OP
OP

Skold

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is proving to be an almost impossible decision but I think the 2k tow and lower gas mileage are keeping me from going with the Tremor over the FX4. Then again, the front bumper clearance is a clear winner for the Tremor and I'm not sure that can be overcome with the FX4. I doubt ride is much better on the Tremor back to back but if it is, I imagine suspension is the difference and that can be reproduced/improved on the FX4. Lastly, I fear the compromises made with the cooling/breathing for the Tremor front bumper plus the complexity of the 4x4 system add additional things that can go wrong...but maybe not.

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For people who have driven xlt, fx4 and xlt tremor...

Was the tremor as quick as the fx4? I am really happy with my fx4 throttle response. I have been wondering if the tremor package would steal any of the quickness.

I am not talking about how much high speed it has. More like takeoff from a stop light, or passing a slow moving truck on a paved two lane road or a gravel road.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the Tremor has a bit steeper drive ratio than a non 4K but slightly heavier tires
just guessing but don't think you could live on the difference.
Sponsored