Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Regardless of your brand allegiance, competition is good for the consumer.

I just wonder who will be first with an EV compact truck, or a 50 mile PHEV compact truck. That will be the next break-out sub-category.
Sponsored

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People only know what they want right now, not three years from now when product development is done. For example, I am still kicking myself that I didn't buy a BMW i3 EV w/ generator with I believe it was 22K miles on it for $13K when oil was trading negative and gas prices were dirt cheap and there were a TON of them collecting dust on lots as nobody wanted them, and yet now a similar 18K mile one is selling for over $30K per Autotrader, more than double and people are all about the EVs with crazy gas prices that probably won't end until the next election cycle. I said it would be a no-brainer as we could just sell it later at no loss as it could only go up, but oh well, water under the bridge.

I just hope the RAV4 chassis is beefy enough for it, as Hyundai said that the reason they didn't put their Santa Cruz into production on the last generation Tucson platform was that they tested it and it wasn't strong enough, so they intentionally designed the next gen from the ground up to be able to serve double-duty.

While I like Toyota quality, I've never been very impressed with their designs. I have a feeling Ram will beat them to market and has a reputation as a truck brand, so supposedly will bring a Dakota which will basically just be a on-road focused version of the existing Jeep Gladiator for the midsize category that would compete with the new Ranger, and recently refreshed Fiat Toro that's already for sale in Brazil might be made in Mexico or the US marked as a Ram 1000. I'm already familiar with their new 1.3T engine and would be happy with that since its peppy enough for such a small/light vehicle and so much better than the crappy 2.0 Tigershark they put in the Compass, and I like the interior layout already since I've long been an advocate of portrait style infotainment and digital clusters:
Same here on the BMW. Test drove one and semi seriously considered it. BMW at the time was offering special financing and other perks I can’t remember. The range was perfect as a commuter for me. Plug it in at work drive home and repeat.

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Huge Toyota fan boy and their hybrid system is the best. We had a Prius and put over 100K on it with zero issues. Was also on the original brakes with plenty of life left when we sold it.

All along that is what I have been calling the Maverick hybrid. A Prius with a bedđź‘Ť

As previously stated the only concern is it will be boring. Currently there isn’t one new Toyota product I would consider buying.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
We bought a BMW Certified i3 Rex about 4 years ago for 20k (with .9% financing) with 13k miles. All in all a smart buy as a company car.

Pros: cheap to plug in and run. Was kind of fun to drive.

Negatives: Wears tires like crazy and nobody makes those tires other than the OEM and they are expensive AF. Range was marginal, even with the generator, about 90-100 miles typically. Local BMW dealer service was a nightmare.

Same here on the BMW. Test drove one and semi seriously considered it. BMW at the time was offering special financing and other perks I can’t remember. The range was perfect as a commuter for me. Plug it in at work drive home and repeat.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
As far as the Toyota pickup speculation goes. I'm weird, but if they did a small, very simple retro-ish truck I would have to get one. Old Toyota pickups are pretty much the only Toyotas I have ever liked.

Sponsored

ldanielsjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer XLT / 2018 Ford Expedition Ltd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for sharing the link. I’m sure many auto manufacturers are studying this segment.
It was basically what I have been looking for for a while, and I don't think I'm alone.
Trucks morphed from practical choices when I was young to status symbols of late. Great to see this option.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Toyota has all the building blocks with TGNA platform. I drove my Maverick hybrid on Friday and pick it up next week. I have driven Rav 4 hybrids.

Ford nailed the Maverick hybrid. When I sat in it and drove first thought was wow toyota has been left in the dust. For nailed price point and styling.

For the reviews that go on about the Maverick being cheap inside its actually really nice. The Maverick is the bench mark toyota will have to compete with.

Also professional car reviews usually get it wrong. They drive a 70,000 dollar mercadies then compare these vehicles to lower priced vehicles. They are vastly disconnected from the consumer.

1 more note: fit and finish was much better on my Maverick then the one I sat in October. You can tell that ford has done some tuning and assembly associations have gotten into the groove of building. I was impressed and I see cars built every day.

ldanielsjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer XLT / 2018 Ford Expedition Ltd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It was basically what I have been looking for for a while, and I don't think I'm alone.
Trucks morphed from practical choices when I was young to status symbols of late. Great to see this option.
It truly is ... I have owned five of the original Ford Rangers from the early to mid-nineties. They were great trucks, affordable, versatile and worked well for me. The only drawback was the awkward side facing jump seats in the rear of the king cab model. I owned two of those and found the rear cab space to be almost irrelevant. The Maverick is intriguing to me because of its size, price and four-door configuration. I have two grandkids now and it will be a great option. I do not use a "truck" as "truck" that often, but the limited need I have for a truck will certainly be met by the Maverick.

Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's the small truck I was looking for. But had to settle for a Ford. Hopefully it gets more than 17MPG this time.

And I hope they don't make it ONLY a double cab like the Maverick. I would rather have a single cab and extra bed space.

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RAV4 LE hybrid is $29,575 + $1,215 delivery.

t1.jpg
yup. And good luck finding one even close to MSRP. Or even finding any on lots.
Sponsored