Front license plate mounting

The Hater

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Yukon
So I have been looking for an option and was going to buy the Platypus grille mount from Craven speed, but they are sold out on all models across the site and my paper plates expired yesterday on the 10th.

I was looking for other options and was surprised to not be able to really find anything. After looking at several options I found this
No Drill Front Grille Mesh Mount License Plate Relocator For BMW M2 M3 M4 M5 M6

It looked like it would work, and was half the price of the Platypus as well so it seemed like a win. After getting it in the mail I was not able to get the silver threaded bolts that act as spacers to work with the grille. They were just not setup right. After a quick trip to Lowes I found a set of Philips head bolts that were 8mm and threaded the same as the 90* L shaped mount/bracket I needed to add them to. All in it was $45 with shipping, and about another 30 minutes of trying to get it on there right.
Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting Bolts

Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting Side Angle
Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting Before flippin
Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting InkedInstalled plate_LI

If you noticed in the second and third picture the license plate holder is too close to the plastic bumper to put the bolts on the back of it to secure the license plate. I had to take it off and flip the L shaped brackets upside down to lower the backplate for the license plate. It was still pretty tight but after a few attempts I was able to get it on securely and it fits and feels good. No added wind noise. I would like to find a way to mount this over the tow hook instead so that it doesn't block the radiator at all. I doubt that it will cause trouble for it in the short term. I will be looking to find a way to mount this over the tow hook, but I haven't seen any posts describing how to do it on here yet.

For the Truck itself it is an XLT EB 2.0 with the FX4 package and the 4k tow package. I did add the sunroof and the full size spare. I got it from Eric Perez at Sam Pack's 5star Ford. Ordered November 10th and Picked up March 11th no hassles and no mark ups, they were absolutely amazing and this was a smooth transaction for a first time new car buyer. I would recommend them with out hesitation. They offered to put the plates on and install it at the dealer but it was only after the plates came in. They had the front plate holder in the truck ready if I wanted to install it.
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would rather block the intercooler than use the factory mount on the bumper?

OP
OP
The Hater

The Hater

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Yukon
I didn't want to drill in to the bumper. So I'm totally fine with blocking a small section of the intercooler for the time being.

DrDan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have to be careful not to block the sensors used for the collision alert system, adaptive cruise control, etc. There are two of these sensors on the front of the truck. So between the radiator, intercooler, radar/sensors....there's not many places left to mount a front license plate!
Still looking for a suitable mount and not having much luck.

Dan

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did not want to cover up any portion of the cooling grills so I installed the front license bracket supplied from Ford myself by drilling only the two bottom holes in the black top portion on the lower grill area and am using small velcro squares to hold the top portion of the bracket.

So if Texas ever stops requiring a front license plate I can easily remove it and just plug the two holes in the black top portion lower grill area with black rubber stoppers which will not really even be noticed.

I have attached a copy of the installation instructions.

In the procedure I did step #1 then put the small velcro squares on the back of the bracket over the top two mounting holes then did step #2. I did not do step #3 and in step #4 only did two screws on the lower two mounting holes.

Ford Part Number is listed in instructions:

Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting 2022 Maverick - Front License Plate Installation Instructions

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have used a tow hook mount for my vanity plate.

Here’s a pic and some info in the one I bought.
Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting 1FADDD0F-532B-4275-A7CF-4521CFCE5BCF

Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting 2CDDDC9E-6711-4EE0-BB94-69BCE7BEB7D6

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Be mindful of blocking the ambient air temp sensor. The wires run across the bumper too, so don’t drill into them. This sensor affects you Auto setting with AC and heat, not just the temp readout.

it’s below in red:

Ford Maverick Front license plate mounting 9B18807A-E1D9-45F4-A4E8-4278A91F05C6

OP
OP
The Hater

The Hater

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Yukon
Be mindful of blocking the ambient air temp sensor. The wires run across the bumper too, so don’t drill into them. This sensor affects you Auto setting with AC and heat, not just the temp readout.

it’s below in red:

9B18807A-E1D9-45F4-A4E8-4278A91F05C6.jpeg
Thank you for pointing that out. I've been driving from Fort Worth to Austin the past few weekends and thought that my blower motor resistor was going out. The Air would suddenly go full blast and then seemingly get stuck there for a good 10-15 minutes. It only spike like this 3 times on the 3ish hour drive so it was by no means unbeareable, and it doesn't happen at all on my daily 30 minute commute. I put in for my Veteran plates with the DMV and I'm currently in the waiting game for those so this is going to come off for the time being. Others had mentioned the 360 auto pilot and cruise control but I don't have any of those and I'm pretty sure those sensors are in the center of the grill by the logo. The collision detection still works just fine with this, but I'm glad to know that was the reason for my A/C spikes before taking it to the dealer.

Not too sure if it will still cause the same effect if I move it over slightly or if it will block something else. Can you think of any other sensors on the passenger lower grille side?

Sponsored

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for pointing that out. I've been driving from Fort Worth to Austin the past few weekends and thought that my blower motor resistor was going out. The Air would suddenly go full blast and then seemingly get stuck there for a good 10-15 minutes. It only spike like this 3 times on the 3ish hour drive so it was by no means unbeareable, and it doesn't happen at all on my daily 30 minute commute. I put in for my Veteran plates with the DMV and I'm currently in the waiting game for those so this is going to come off for the time being. Others had mentioned the 360 auto pilot and cruise control but I don't have any of those and I'm pretty sure those sensors are in the center of the grill by the logo. The collision detection still works just fine with this, but I'm glad to know that was the reason for my A/C spikes before taking it to the dealer.

Not too sure if it will still cause the same effect if I move it over slightly or if it will block something else. Can you think of any other sensors on the passenger lower grille side?
No other sensor wires are run in the XL bumper, besides that one. I’m sure other models with parking sensors may be different though.

Unforgiven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto blue hybrid lariat maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got the platypus mount today as a birthday present. Installed super easily and I couldn’t be happier. So glad I drove around illegally for 4 months without a front plate and didn’t drill holes in my bumper. Highly recommend.

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The Hater, I too would like to know about the sudden increase of air from the AC blower. This recently happened on a 3 hour road trip. I don't have anything blocking my sensors or covering any part of my grill. Not a big deal but unusual to any vehicle I have ever owned.

JB330ci

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid, BMW M2, Lexus RX450h
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always install my front license plate on a shelf in my garage
LOL...I have NOT had front license plate mounted on any car I bought since 1994 and only got pulled over once for no front plate displayed by a young trainee cop. Fine was $10 and I had to submit a picture with the plate mounted. So I took a picture using double sided tape and submitted it to the court. Case dismissed and $10 fine waived. :alien:

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I always install my front license plate on a shelf in my garage
Mine is under the passenger seat. Kid has had his car for 5 years without a front license plate and never had an issue. I'm not putting it on.
Sponsored