Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
I bought my car out of state and in 24 years have never bought new in Texas so I have no clue if they give you plates at the dealership or what. I bought out of state to save $$.

For those who have gotten plates shipped to them from the Texas DPS, how long did it take? I am at about 7 weeks since picking up the car and the paper plate on the back is done in 10 days. I know from my kids that the police don't really care as they have dealt with this delay for 2.5 years now.

Any experiences? Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
your dealer should have collected and remitted Texas sales tax and registration fees in order for you to title and register the truck there. Did they?

The dealer had to collect sales tax, etc. for some state, what's on your paperwork? I recall Texas sales tax is 6.25%

If the dealer collected and remitted the tax and registration fees call the Texas MVA/DPS and ask where the permanent tags are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FriscoTXJoe

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
your dealer should have collected and remitted Texas sales tax and registration fees in order for you to title and register the truck there. Did they?

Yup! It was Chapman in Philly. They got the process down! But Texas has lagged in sending plates since the pandy and it seems like they haven't improved...like everything else I guess.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought my car out of state and in 24 years have never bought new in Texas so I have no clue if they give you plates at the dealership or what. I bought out of state to save $$.

For those who have gotten plates shipped to them from the Texas DPS, how long did it take? I am at about 7 weeks since picking up the car and the paper plate on the back is done in 10 days. I know from my kids that the police don't really care as they have dealt with this delay for 2.5 years now.

I bought my XL November 10, 2021 and two weeks later the dealer called and told me they had the plates in. I drove back to the dealer and he installed them complete with the special customer dealer branded license plate frame.

Actually the dealer can get the tags the day he goes to the DMV office with no delays. If he does it by mail then it's longer.

If the dealer took your fees, sales tax, etc., then it is up to him to get the tags for you. If he had them mailed and you don't get them by the time the temp. tag expires, then he should give you another temp tag.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems all the MVAs are running slower than normal, just give them a call to insure they received the paperwork from Chapman.. I purchased my new TRX from Chapman in December and they were tardy sending the paperwork to my state. Good luck....

Sponsored

OP
OP
FriscoTXJoe

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

• Banned
Seems all the MVAs are running slower than normal, just give them a call to insure they received the paperwork from Chapman.. I purchased my new TRX from Chapman in December and they were tardy sending the paperwork to my state. Good luck....
Ugh.......thank you!!

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I bought mine from a local Texas dealership on May 12. Last weekend, I got a call from the dealership that my plates were there. So about 5 weeks. I picked them up yesterday. Actually they installed them yesterday. They weren’t mailed to me they were sent to the dealership

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

About 5 weeks for my Maverick
8 weeks for my wife’s Kia that was purchased the same day

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I am not sure but I got mine within 2-3 days before or after the expiration date. No biggie but can stop by dealer and get new dealer plate with later expiration date if you want to

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not sure, but believe out of state dealer has to submit paper work to Texas. Call dealer you purchased from and see what status is. If dealer collected fees etc ask him who is getting title transferred etc. You should be able to verify by vin number if Texas has processed title yet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FriscoTXJoe

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Welp, Texas (do other states do this?) has a quirkie way of drawing county lines and my city, Frisco, is split between 2 counties. Seems they sent it to the wrong county. It got kicked back, they resubmitted to the proper county and just sent a follow up inquiry on the status of the plates to the county and copied me.

So, an simple mistake and diligent follow up from Chapman Ford. No complaints, lets just see when I get them cause Texas is archaic in that regard. Why send the plates to the dealer? I own the car but now they send them to the dealer who in turn sends them to me.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Welp, Texas (do other states do this?) has a quirkie way of drawing county lines and my city, Frisco, is split between 2 counties. Seems they sent it to the wrong county. It got kicked back, they resubmitted to the proper county and just sent a follow up inquiry on the status of the plates to the county and copied me.

So, an simple mistake and diligent follow up from Chapman Ford. No complaints, lets just see when I get them cause Texas is archaic in that regard. Why send the plates to the dealer? I own the car but now they send them to the dealer who in turn sends them to me.
Texas counties yep. Back in 1960's or so in Amarillo there was a court case where someone had a house and the county line divided his house. One of the counties was taxing the houses by the county the front door was in (because they ruled that was his county of residence. But the other county ruled that since his bedroom was in their county and so that was his county of residence since he slept in their county. I forget which county prevailed! But there was a real stink going on and some were debating things like "if the line went through my front door which county do I live in where the knob is or where the hinges are in?".

Leviheim

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Yup! It was Chapman in Philly. They got the process down! But Texas has lagged in sending plates since the pandy and it seems like they haven't improved...like everything else I guess.
I’m in the same boat as you … bought from Chapman . They recently contacted me and asked me to get a safety inspection so they could send info it to get registered
Sponsored