First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had no idea that the AWD Maverick has no way to be moved without the motor running. The dealer said in order to disengage the transmission the motor must be running. All four wheels must be off the ground. This blows my mind. Why in the world would Ford make a vehicle that can not be put in neutral without the motor running. Color me very unhappy. I can't even move it out of my garage.
Sponsored

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Uh.... yah.

That little ELECTRIC rotary shifter knob and all. The power needs to be on. Not sure why the engine would need to be run.

You MAY have a pull cable UNDER the center console. Hybrids do not.

MetalThunder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
MetalThunder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ecoboost AWD Oxford White
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP

BusaD

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Uh.... yah.

That little ELECTRIC rotary shifter knob and all. The power needs to be on. Not sure why the engine would need to be run.

You MAY have a pull cable UNDER the center console. Hybrids do not.
That is only available on FWD only. Believe me I have been in touch with Ford Motor Co. This is more of you might want to be aware of this if you are thinking of buying an AWD model.

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

wb5oxq

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat in Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had no idea that the AWD Maverick has no way to be moved without the motor running. The dealer said in order to disengage the transmission the motor must be running. All four wheels must be off the ground. This blows my mind. Why in the world would Ford make a vehicle that can not be put in neutral without the motor running. Color me very unhappy. I can't even move it out of my garage.
My boss has a Dodge ram that is the same way with the dial. Unless the engine is running you cannot shift out of park. It is a 4X4 and the transfer case is electrically shifted also.

wb5oxq

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat in Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Dodge Ram same way with the dial shifter. Probably all makes with the dial shifter cannot be shifted out of park without the motor running.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is pretty much all AWD vehicles. None are rated to be towed with 4 on the ground. Only driven.

Sponsored

swtiming8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is only available on FWD only. Believe me I have been in touch with Ford Motor Co. This is more of you might want to be aware of this if you are thinking of buying an AWD model.
Sorry for you but all the literature put out from Ford since day one has clearly stated hybrid is the only Maverick that can be all wheels on the ground flat towed. Even that requires a charger line to keep the battery at full charge and we are required to start the motor every 6 hours to lubricate certain parts in the drive train. Also, there is a speed limit of 70 mph while flat towing.

Xbbqpitmaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Seltos S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah that was a big selling point for me buying the hybrid is that they can be flat towed behind an RV.
same for me. Love my XLT hybrid.

TNFurb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco Sport OB ‘24 Mav Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I may be wrong, but I imagine this is less about a rotary shift knob than it is about electronic transmission shifters. Since there is no longer a mechanical connection between the shifter, (whether rotary or a traditional looking stick) I imagine the power must be on so the electronics can work and put the vehicle in whatever gear you're choosing. I imagine this is the case for any new vehicle from any company that has moved to this type of electronic shifter. Again, maybe I'm wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: