Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yea, hybrids don't have any belts.
She's got the 2.0 turbo, it's AWD. But it's, supposedly, fixed and I had added the Ford extended warranty to 100k. New models, 1st generation, I thought it was a worthwhile investment. I think it will be, before long.
Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Take it from me, I retired a few years ago after 25 years as a Ford Dealer Service Advisor, that's not the way it will happen. I have an Early build 2022 Maverick Hybrid (built in Feb 22). Unless it is found to be a major SAFETY concern FoMoCo will most likely have a "program" (not a recall) extending warranty like I said, this has been common practice by FoMoCo for issues such as this. And as a side note, if Ford was to replace the engine, most likely it would be only the "short block" rather than a complete engine assembly requiring switching the cylinder head and all componants from old engine to new short block, something none of us wants done. Better if FoMoCo gives a long warranty and hope the engine doesn't destroy itself.
It's already a recall (22S47 & 23S27), so I'm not sure how it will suddenly become a program. As noted earlier in this thread, from NHTSA documents of what Ford is doing, they have developed software to put the engine in limp mode if the system detects signs of rod bearing failure.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RMISC-23V380-5342.pdf

Last edited:

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's already a recall (22S47 & 23S27), so I'm not sure how it will suddenly become a program. As noted earlier in this thread, from NHTSA documents of what Ford is doing, they have developed software to put the engine in limp mode if the system detects signs of rod bearing failure.

The recall is not for replacing the engine assembly as many are thinking/saying FoMoCo should do. I'm saying to those that think/feel FoMoCo should replace the engine before anything happens don't count on it. Best we can hope for is a "program" that will extend the warranty on the engine for catastrophic engine damage.

Last edited:

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The recall is not for replacing the engine assembly as many are thinking/saying FoMoCo should do. I'm saying to those that think/feel FoMoCo should replace the engine before anything happens don't count on it. Best they can hope for is a "program" that will extend the warranty on the engine for catastrophic engine damage.
Yup, I think that's the conclusion most of us came to when the second recall for the issue came out last summer. One things for sure, say goodbye to long term resale value on any vehicle with this recall, because in the mind of any informed buyer these are ticking time bombs, regardless of whether they are or not.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As usual, Corporate America cares not. Just go away and leave them alone with their quarterly reports.
If my Maverick has one failure that I consider unnecessary, Corporate Japan gets another customer back.

Sponsored

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IDK if corporate Japan is much better, just the way corporations as a whole do things.

Just sold a 2012 Prius that had an outstanding notice of an upcoming recall, sent out years ago, regarding potential inverter failure and the associated safety issue. Actual recall repair never materialized. Just a guess, but perhaps the number of failures dropped significantly enough (or perhaps completely) that the NHSTA got off their backs about it.

Hopefully Ford does the software update to comply, engine failures don't happen to any further degree, and it all fizzles away.

Cheers.

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, I think that's the conclusion most of us came to when the second recall for the issue came out last summer. One things for sure, say goodbye to long term resale value on any vehicle with this recall, because in the mind of any informed buyer these are ticking time bombs, regardless of whether they are or not.
The idea of long term resale value hasn't happened on vehicles in the past where FoMoCo has given extended warranties for an issue. If you have something that is warranted say for 10yr/150,000 miles what would you rather have, that or the standard 5yr/60,000 mile? Sell a vehicle at 5yrs and 100,00 miles and be able to say the engine has another 5yrs/50,000 miles warranty is a plus. Now in the case of the Focus Transmission issue that would have driving issues that's a different discussion. Lost interest in the Maverick will be more of an issue as other manufacturers come up with something comparable at the same price level. As far as a "ticking time bomb", aren't all vehicles that in one way or another. You know the saying, "if it has tires or tits, it's going to give you trouble", just a matter of time!

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As far as a "ticking time bomb", aren't all vehicles that in one way or another. You know the saying, "if it has tires or tits, it's going to give you trouble", just a matter of time!
Must be a saying among American vehicle brand owners, never heard it before, I'm new to it. :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't buy any vehicle second hand that was listed in it's history has having an engine fire recall, unless the engine was replaced. Maybe it's just me.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These days we don’t get much Snow In PA. PLus they throw out 2 inches of salt to one inch of snow. I need 4WD for hunting and fishing. To go off-road.
just jabbing 😉
Can't forget about that calcium chloride either. Gotta love that shit. Destroys ice but does cause your vehicle to rot out.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The recall is not for replacing the engine assembly as many are thinking/saying FoMoCo should do. I'm saying to those that think/feel FoMoCo should replace the engine before anything happens don't count on it. Best they can hope for is a "program" that will extend the warranty on the engine for catastrophic engine damage.
What about us Maverick owners who paid for their extended warranty? Hopefully a refund if mine is affected and Ford decides to offer extended warranty as a solution.

Sponsored

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What about us Maverick owners who paid for their extended warranty? Hopefully a refund if mine is affected and Ford decides to offer extended warranty as a solution.
I too have an extended warranty; a FoMoCo. ESP Premiumcare Warranty. IF FoMoCo. does do a "program" for the engine it is only for the ENGINE and only for an issue related as stated in any such "program". Your extended warranty will cover much more than just the engine. So no, don't expect any refund if FoMoCo does a "program" in the future. I hope they will because my ESP expires in 8 years or 60,000 miles from the "in service date" (original purchase date). Many "programs" in the past have been for 10yrs/150,000 miles. (whichever occur first)

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's exactly what they have tested. From the sounds of the report it's passed lab testing, now it needs field testing.

"May – November 2023: Ford’s Internal Combustion Powertrain and Powertrain Controls Engineering

teams tested several engines and analyzed historical calibration data to characterize connecting rod

bearing failures for all cylinders. The team used these findings to develop a connecting rod bearing

failure detection algorithm which will limit engine speed/load after detecting a bearing that is in the

process of failing, and provide notification to the driver. Once the software was developed, the

engineering teams tested its effectiveness through dynamometer and vehicle testing. The results of the

testing indicate that this algorithm will detect a connecting rod bearing failure and protect the engine

from a block breach.

On December 15, 2023, Ford’s Field Review Committee approved the remedy for the 23S27 field action."

Until reading this was not going to do a thing with the recall. Now will wait till I need to go to Ford for service. Use a local guy that is honest and way cheaper. The odds are in my favor that it's a good engine with about 1/3 of a percent could be bad.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too have an extended warranty; a FoMoCo. ESP Premiumcare Warranty. IF FoMoCo. does do a "program" for the engine it is only for the ENGINE and only for an issue related as stated in any such "program". Your extended warranty will cover much more than just the engine. So no, don't expect any refund if FoMoCo does a "program" in the future. I hope they will because my ESP expires in 8 years or 60,000 miles from the "in service date" (original purchase date). Many "programs" in the past have been for 10yrs/150,000 miles. (whichever occur first)
I went with 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. I would hope they would give at least a partial credit . I paid for the extra 40,000 miles and 4 years coverage. It includes engine as well as other components.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Until reading this was not going to do a thing with the recall. Now will wait till I need to go to Ford for service. Use a local guy that is honest and way cheaper. The odds are in my favor that it's a good engine with about 1/3 of a percent could be bad.
Should not cost anything since it is a safety recall.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If there are crankshaft or bearing problems, how will Ford determine if your engine has these problems without taking the engine completely apart. Easier for them to just put a new engine in.
Already answered in this thread:

May – November 2023: Ford’s Internal Combustion Powertrain and Powertrain Controls Engineering teams tested several engines and analyzed historical calibration data to characterize connecting rod bearing failures for all cylinders. The team used these findings to develop a connecting rod bearing failure detection algorithm which will limit engine speed/load after detecting a bearing that is in the process of failing, and provide notification to the driver. Once the software was developed, the engineering teams tested its effectiveness through dynamometer and vehicle testing. The results of the testing indicate that this algorithm will detect a connecting rod bearing failure and protect the engine from a block breach.

On December 15, 2023, Ford’s Field Review Committee approved the remedy for the 23S27 field action.
Sponsored