First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In 1980's I purchased a Ford x fleet car that had 86k miles on it that had been run on natural gas. Changed oil at 5k miles intervals and it was after the 3rd/4th oil change before the oil I took out had any significant darkening.
Sponsored

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just changed mine for the first time at 10,500 miles. Vehicle stated 25% oil life remaining, but I didn’t like the idea of letting it go past 10k since that’s what Ford recommends in the manual.
I had an 87 Ranger XLT with the 2.8L German Capri engine and did oil changes every 2500kms religiously. I sold that truck at 774K kms and it still passed the pollution check. Changing oil is one of the best things that you can you for your engine, and never mind if it costs more per year to do it. The payback is a vehicle that goes through 20 years of hard use. Look after your truck and it will reliably look after you.

irasAutoTake

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Hybrid Lariat in Iconic Order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are there any Hybrid owners here who have sent out used oil for analysis, i.e., Blackstone or another recognized laboratory?

Superdog3657

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 ford Ranger Xlt waiting for xlt maverick hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Put right over 3k on my Maverick since picking her up in mid January, and, with the smaller factory filter thought I'd go ahead and change it a little early. Procedure is straight forward, even with the bajillion T27 fasteners you need to remove to take the splash shield down. Threw on a Motorcraft FL910S and filled her up with 5.5 qts of Valvoline 0W-20. All in all pretty productive morning and even got to put my new DeWalt 3/8 socket set from Costco to work. Definitely didn't need it, but a great buy at $20 and takes up less space then my Husky that I kept behind the backseat.

IMG_4044.JPG
IMG_4046.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG
I have 1500 miles on mine and plan on changing my oil before winter , just to drain and replace the breakin oil and filter. In the future I plan on changing my oil once a year or when the Ford Pass app tells me to , Which ever comes first.

SLingbarT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Hybrid Lariat Cactus Gray Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Put right over 3k on my Maverick since picking her up in mid January, and, with the smaller factory filter thought I'd go ahead and change it a little early. Procedure is straight forward, even with the bajillion T27 fasteners you need to remove to take the splash shield down. Threw on a Motorcraft FL910S and filled her up with 5.5 qts of Valvoline 0W-20. All in all pretty productive morning and even got to put my new DeWalt 3/8 socket set from Costco to work. Definitely didn't need it, but a great buy at $20 and takes up less space then my Husky that I kept behind the backseat.

IMG_4044.JPG
IMG_4046.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG
The small factory filter on the Hybrid seems more robust than the Motorcraft FL-910S, hell a Mobile 1 extended filter looks and feels better made, but oh gotta do what Ford says or they'll void your warranty. I'm doing my first oil change today at 5800 miles and the oil was dark coming out. I do mostly rural /suburb driving, but did go on 2 long trips in the past 2 months, Chicago to Nashville and Chicago to Virginia so I'm not waiting on the app. every 5000 is my goal.

Sponsored

SLingbarT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just changed mine for the first time at 10,500 miles. Vehicle stated 25% oil life remaining, but I didn’t like the idea of letting it go past 10k since that’s what Ford recommends in the manual.

I do mostly highway /city driving. Hot Florida summer, but keeping it usually no higher than 70mph on the highway, and 45-50 around town.

it was quite easy to change the oil on ramps, far more accessible than most other vehicles I’ve changed oil on.

One thing of note: I will be changing my oil much earlier than 10k miles since the oil came out with a very dirty consistency.

0C946B17-909D-43DD-A051-3DC43F72B2F3.jpeg

41655083-525E-408F-BBC0-7ED04927FD23.jpeg
Chocolate milk anyone? Mine was dark at 6000 miles. I don't care what the computer says, 6 Months or 5000 miles for me. $30 at home full synth oil changes are too easy.

SLingbarT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In 1980's I purchased a Ford x fleet car that had 86k miles on it that had been run on natural gas. Changed oil at 5k miles intervals and it was after the 3rd/4th oil change before the oil I took out had any significant darkening.
Gasoline makes oil dark (blow by the rings). I've heard that Natural Gas keeps oil super clean looking.

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Chocolate milk anyone? Mine was dark at 6000 miles. I don't care what the computer says, 6 Months or 5000 miles for me. $30 at home full synth oil changes are too easy.
Where are you buying five and a half quatrs of oil, full synthetic and filter and disposal and time for thirty bucks?

Sponsored

SLingbarT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Walmart, oil is 19, 10,000 mile filter is 4, ah I had leftover oil for the .7qt. Filter is same as Wix, oil as good as anyone else's. My time and give old oil to AutoZone for free.

Hkak45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright hybrid owners, any tricks to getting off the oil filter? I've used pure muscle with rubber gloves and my oil filter wrench and can't seem to get it to budge even an inch. Appears to be wayyyy over torqued from factory. Any helpful tips I can try? My other cars were hard from factory but not this hard.

EDIT: finally got it off by hammering a screwdriver through it to get leverage to turn it. It was a royal PITA to get off from factory. Luckily next time the oil change will be easy since I properly tightened the filter

Last edited:

BlueSpec1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT 2.5L, 22 Escape Plug In, 23 Bolt EUV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alright hybrid owners, any tricks to getting off the oil filter? I've used pure muscle with rubber gloves and my oil filter wrench and can't seem to get it to budge even an inch. Appears to be wayyyy over torqued from factory. Any helpful tips I can try? My other cars were hard from factory but not this hard.
I used an old KD2380 Square Drive Oil Filter Wrench 2-13/16 TO 3-1/16 (71mm to 79mm) on the small OEM filter.
Napa Auto SER 772380 or CTA2520 look the same size.

ndmiller

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Azure Blue Metallic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The small factory filter on the Hybrid seems more robust than the Motorcraft FL-910S, hell a Mobile 1 extended filter looks and feels better made, but oh gotta do what Ford says or they'll void your warranty.
As long as the oil and filter are to the right spec, no-one is voiding your warranty. Use whatever filter and oil you want but ensure they are the specification required by Ford.
Sponsored