First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone else had the engine running on their Maverick Hybrid AFTER turning the ignition off and removing the key? My truck is a 2022 XL Hybrid with 38,398 miles on it. It started happening about 2 weeks ago and was sporadic when it would happen. I made an appointment with the dealer to get it checked out and sure enough, the Friday before bringing it in it happened 5x in the afternoon and when I arrived at the dealer Monday morning.

The way I would shut off the engine is by locking the doors 2x with the fob. I asked the service guy if there was a service bulletin for this issue, prior reports, etc and he said there is nothing reported about the issue. I checked the forum and nobody else has reported a similar issue that I have seen.

Anyone else with a similar issue?

Most of my videos I tried to upload were too large. The video shows the engine running and the key in my hand. Ignition is off, key is out, display is lit up.

Sponsored

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check the ignition.. Maybe the second key is in there 😝

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The horror stories just keep rolling on these cars. Holy shit.
Yup, wait for the "its a new gen / first model year" issues to be expected type of responses.

Some issues sure, issues such as this ? Nope.

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone else had the engine running on their Maverick Hybrid AFTER turning the ignition off and removing the key? My truck is a 2022 XL Hybrid with 38,398 miles on it. It started happening about 2 weeks ago and was sporadic when it would happen. I made an appointment with the dealer to get it checked out and sure enough, the Friday before bringing it in it happened 5x in the afternoon and when I arrived at the dealer Monday morning.

The way I would shut off the engine is by locking the doors 2x with the fob. I asked the service guy if there was a service bulletin for this issue, prior reports, etc and he said there is nothing reported about the issue. I checked the forum and nobody else has reported a similar issue that I have seen.

Most of my videos I tried to upload were too large. The video shows the engine running and the key in my hand. Ignition is off, key is out, display is lit up.

have you had the battery cable overlay done ? long shot, but assuming your vin falls within that issue it could potentially cause some electrical issues.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Are you locking door by pushing the lock button twice OR the 2X button once or twice? There is a difference. I didn't think the XL had remote start. When you take key out the truck should shut off immediately. In any case the fob remote start, if equiped, is lock, unlock, lock. It's possible an update may have activated remote start. Have you added anything and/or possibly forscanned your truck.
ALSO if truck is running and you want to override (is most likely trying to charge the HVB to it's 40% SOC.) and force it to turn off the Lock, Unlock, Lock should turn ice off!

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided

Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Two questions: Is your hybrid ever going into full electric mode, and how long have you waited to see if the engine would shut off on its own? It could the high voltage battery not charged above the minimum charge when shut off.

Sponsored

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two questions: Is your hybrid ever going into full electric mode, and how long have you waited to see if the engine would shut off on its own? It could the high voltage battery not charged above the minimum charge when shut off.
You mean that Ford would design such a vehicle where an internal combustion engine could run after removing the key just so it could charge the battery - while parked inside a garage ?

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You mean that Ford would design such a vehicle where an internal combustion engine could run after removing the key just so it could charge the battery - while parked inside a garage ?
I don't know.
I don't remember ever turning off my hybrid when the engine was running. The prime directive for hybrids is protect the HVB. Don't over charge it, don't let the charge get to low.

p.s. You can use the Ford Pass App to start a Ford with it parked in a closed garage.

Last edited:

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IF your maverick is equipped with remote start, LOCK->Unlock-> LOCK will remote start your vehicle and if done again will turn off the engine ..

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is the problem with the electrical system controlling everything.
I hate that new cars are 'computers on wheels' rather than machines aided by computer components.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Egggggggxactly. It is an asinine proposition that this would be an intentional design feature. Key off means engine off - period, end of story. If that doesn't happen, then you have a serious perhaps lethal problem on your hands.

I don't know.
The first rule of hybrid is protect the HVB. Don't over charge it, don't let the charge get to low.
No, the first rule of Hybrid is don't kill people. It is the same rule #1 for every vehicle on the road.
Sponsored