2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Plenty of info out there about how to do oil changes, this is some different info. Passing along a couple of my oil change tips - some just for the Maverick and some I've developed over the years.

First, specific to the Maverick EcoBoost - I have a 24 Lariat w/ 4k tow, but believe all will be the same. You can run the traditional FL1A size filter on the Maverick. No clearance issues with engine or under shield or anything other than a cooling hose, which is taken care of with the slight bend. The cooling hose is near the oil filter and is held in place to the engine with a stamped steel bracket. If you bend part of the bracket slightly toward the front of the truck with a pliers wrench or similar, it doesn't cause any clearance issues with the hose, but it does create more space for the bigger oil filter. It's easy to bend and doesn't take much movement, but gets you the extra clearance. I put arrows in my pictures where to bend. Essentially you want to make it about straight up and down vs. bent back toward the engine like it comes. If running a bigger filter for essentially the same cost isn't enough, the extra oil capacity is a nice bonus. Not only for extra oil itself, but with the FL1A sized filter, the oil capacity goes to exactly 6 quarts and reads right at the full mark on the dipstick. No more measuring and storing half quarts because 5.5 quarts is just plain annoying. I am running a Fram Synthetic Endurance filter in the pics, I happen to think it's the best filter on the market (basically a different color Royal Purple filter), but you can run a FL1A or any filter of that size, like a Wix 51515 or similar.

Ford Maverick EcoBoost Oil Change Maintenance Tips PXL_20240523_035010095.MPb

Ford Maverick EcoBoost Oil Change Maintenance Tips PXL_20240523_035121959b

Now for generic tips I have picked up over the years and believe help with ease of oil changes and longevity. First, there are companies that make funnels that screw in place of oil fil caps vs. traditional funnels that just sit in the hold or maybe lean against things and stay in place if you are lucky. They are more expensive than traditional funnels, but to me - the ease of knowing I always have the exact funnel, it won't spill or slip or leak or anything that can happen with other funnels is worth it. They are sturdy enough you can even leave the oil container in the funnel if you like to get the last drop out of them. I've been using them for years on different vehicles. You can buy them in sets or individually, and I believe they are basically all the same. The one I got for my Maverick is made by MichaelPro and came from Amazon. It's a nice snug fit, and if you give it a chance, I think you'll like them for all of your vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/MichaelPro-M...fix=michaelpro+mp009076,industrial,154&sr=1-1

Ford Maverick EcoBoost Oil Change Maintenance Tips PXL_20240518_232952059

My last tip, is for longevity. Also for years now, I have been running GoldPlug magnetic drain plugs in my vehicles, as well as FilterMags oil filter magnets on everything with canister style oil filters (including my Zero Turn mower). The GoldPlugs are surely enough by themselves. I like them because they are high quality, very strong magnets, made in USA (Montana), and the selection is good enough that you can get one that is the exact specs as the factory plug - so it uses the same wrench, etc. I find it pretty typical to get a gray film on the end of the magnet at each oil change - and that is stuff that would be floating around otherwise. The correct one for the Maverick is AP-04, and spare crush washers are SW-01. You can buy them from several places, but here is the official link:

https://goldplug.com/shop/ap04/

The FilterMags I have started using are OVERKILL for sure. But if you like overkill, these are the ticket. These are very powerful, large magnets, that are shaped to fit your oil filter. You can run a single or two of them if you have space (you do on the Maverick) and are willing to spend the extra money. Have seen filters cut open with these magnets and they clearly work. The nice thing about these vs. the drain plug, is you see a lot more of the oil crossing over the magnets vs. only what might be in range of the drain plug. They are pricey, but they can go with you when you change vehicles or be resold even -- more of an investment. For the Maverick stock sized filter, you would want the SS300 or SS300 pair. If you use the FL1A sized filter, you would want the SS365 or SS365 pair. They can be found elsewhere (cheaper), but linking to the official site for info:

https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss-300/
https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss-300-pair/

https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss-365/
https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss365-pair/

Ford Maverick EcoBoost Oil Change Maintenance Tips PXL_20240523_035321295

That's it for now. Feel free to share thoughts or anything that you might want to add. I realize these aren't for everyone, but some will appreciate it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd be willing to try some filter mags, but not for that price. Holy crap. It's just a magnet, right? I think the same thing can be achieved with smaller cheaper magnets placed around the bottom of the filter or along the sides? Smaller ones would allow for just as much coverage without the need for a specific curvature.

I see you mentioned FilterMag being in Montana but their mailing address is in AZ? They are just getting the magnets from someone in MT? Any idea what the name of the shop they are buying from is?

I ended up going with a Stahlbus over the magnetic drain plug you linked. But I have it saved in my bookmarks for future reference. The link is correct for the EB's regardless of what Amazon says - same as OP's drain plug it's M12x1.75.

First time I've seen that FRAM filter and I just went down the rabbit hole of info on BITOG. What specific Royal Purple one are they referencing that it replicates? And is the one you are using the size of the FL1A that brings everything to 6 quarts? Maybe I missed it, but do you have a link to the exact filter you used? I'd like to do some research on all that. Liking what I read so far.

OP
OP

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'd be willing to try some filter mags, but not for that price. Holy crap. It's just a magnet, right? I think the same thing can be achieved with smaller cheaper magnets placed around the bottom of the filter or along the sides? Smaller ones would allow for just as much coverage without the need for a specific curvature.

I see you mentioned FilterMag being in Montana but their mailing address is in AZ? They are just getting the magnets from someone in MT? Any idea what the name of the shop they are buying from is?

I ended up going with a Stahlbus over the magnetic drain plug you linked. But I have it saved in my bookmarks for future reference. The link is correct for the EB's regardless of what Amazon says - same as OP's drain plug it's M12x1.75.

First time I've seen that FRAM filter and I just went down the rabbit hole of info on BITOG. What specific Royal Purple one are they referencing that it replicates? And is the one you are using the size of the FL1A that brings everything to 6 quarts? Maybe I missed it, but do you have a link to the exact filter you used? I'd like to do some research on all that. Liking what I read so far.
Yes- FilterMags are expensive for sure. I've had these on a Dodge truck and an old Chevy truck, so they have been around. They are really nice quality. No doubt you could get more smaller magnets and do the same thing though.

GoldPlug is in Montana, not FilterMag. I believe they are out of Belgrade off the top of my head, but their site probably shows somewhere. Nice people.

As for the filter, all of the Frams follow the same number convention, similar to other manufacturers. This one is an FE8A, it's the same size as the FL1A. These are only sold at Walmart. You can also look into the Titanium or Ultra which are also top quality filters, they are FS8A and XG8A and available other places as well.

Direct link:
https://www.fram.com/engine-oil-filter-fe8a

If you spend some time on Wix site it's really good for gathering info and crossing too. I like Wix and the Wix XP as well

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes- FilterMags are expensive for sure. I've had these on a Dodge truck and an old Chevy truck, so they have been around. They are really nice quality. No doubt you could get more smaller magnets and do the same thing though.

GoldPlug is in Montana, not FilterMag. I believe they are out of Belgrade off the top of my head, but their site probably shows somewhere. Nice people.

As for the filter, all of the Frams follow the same number convention, similar to other manufacturers. This one is an FE8A, it's the same size as the FL1A. These are only sold at Walmart. You can also look into the Titanium or Ultra which are also top quality filters, they are FS8A and XG8A and available other places as well.

Direct link:
https://www.fram.com/engine-oil-filter-fe8a

If you spend some time on Wix site it's really good for gathering info and crossing too. I like Wix and the Wix XP as well
Oh ok I misread then about the Montana situation ;)
Thanks for clarifying.

I'll check out the filters. Old habits die hard and I still have 3 spare WIX ones but I'd like to make that conversion into 6 full quarts. I'm assuming the extra half quart is fine on cold starts being that it's in the filter already? Either way, I buy 5 quart jugs so I'm still screwed lol. At least it would be right on the line then.

todd92

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 (2), Edge ST, Edge Titanium
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
None of this is needed. Have you cut open an oil filter in the last 20 years, even after a 10,000 mile OCI? There's nothing in there. There's no need for more oil filter capacity. Drain plug magnet is very helpful on a small engine like a portable generator with a tiny oil capacity and no filter, or on a motorcycle with a wet clutch. Modern cars, not so much. As for the filter magnet :rolleyes:.

Sponsored

Oscarcat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Lariat, Lexus NX 300, PT Cruiser 5 spd. C172P
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plenty of info out there about how to do oil changes, this is some different info. Passing along a couple of my oil change tips - some just for the Maverick and some I've developed over the years.

First, specific to the Maverick EcoBoost - I have a 24 Lariat w/ 4k tow, but believe all will be the same. You can run the traditional FL1A size filter on the Maverick. No clearance issues with engine or under shield or anything other than a cooling hose, which is taken care of with the slight bend. The cooling hose is near the oil filter and is held in place to the engine with a stamped steel bracket. If you bend part of the bracket slightly toward the front of the truck with a pliers wrench or similar, it doesn't cause any clearance issues with the hose, but it does create more space for the bigger oil filter. It's easy to bend and doesn't take much movement, but gets you the extra clearance. I put arrows in my pictures where to bend. Essentially you want to make it about straight up and down vs. bent back toward the engine like it comes. If running a bigger filter for essentially the same cost isn't enough, the extra oil capacity is a nice bonus. Not only for extra oil itself, but with the FL1A sized filter, the oil capacity goes to exactly 6 quarts and reads right at the full mark on the dipstick. No more measuring and storing half quarts because 5.5 quarts is just plain annoying. I am running a Fram Synthetic Endurance filter in the pics, I happen to think it's the best filter on the market (basically a different color Royal Purple filter), but you can run a FL1A or any filter of that size, like a Wix 51515 or similar.

PXL_20240523_035010095.MPb.jpg

PXL_20240523_035121959b.jpg

Now for generic tips I have picked up over the years and believe help with ease of oil changes and longevity. First, there are companies that make funnels that screw in place of oil fil caps vs. traditional funnels that just sit in the hold or maybe lean against things and stay in place if you are lucky. They are more expensive than traditional funnels, but to me - the ease of knowing I always have the exact funnel, it won't spill or slip or leak or anything that can happen with other funnels is worth it. They are sturdy enough you can even leave the oil container in the funnel if you like to get the last drop out of them. I've been using them for years on different vehicles. You can buy them in sets or individually, and I believe they are basically all the same. The one I got for my Maverick is made by MichaelPro and came from Amazon. It's a nice snug fit, and if you give it a chance, I think you'll like them for all of your vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/MichaelPro-MP009076-Spill-Free-Vehicles-Hands-Free/dp/B0BBTTJNKX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1R9RV8NTEAAP5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.3h4SmaZCzlZTxNrioTfRbA.5l-CgqDYQIeZs2Z7Yqg79JNbdVR9oCi_nLSJRk5EcyM&dib_tag=se&keywords=MichaelPro+MP009076&qid=1716447198&s=industrial&sprefix=michaelpro+mp009076,industrial,154&sr=1-1

PXL_20240518_232952059.jpg

My last tip, is for longevity. Also for years now, I have been running GoldPlug magnetic drain plugs in my vehicles, as well as FilterMags oil filter magnets on everything with canister style oil filters (including my Zero Turn mower). The GoldPlugs are surely enough by themselves. I like them because they are high quality, very strong magnets, made in USA (Montana), and the selection is good enough that you can get one that is the exact specs as the factory plug - so it uses the same wrench, etc. I find it pretty typical to get a gray film on the end of the magnet at each oil change - and that is stuff that would be floating around otherwise. The correct one for the Maverick is AP-04, and spare crush washers are SW-01. You can buy them from several places, but here is the official link:

https://goldplug.com/shop/ap04/

The FilterMags I have started using are OVERKILL for sure. But if you like overkill, these are the ticket. These are very powerful, large magnets, that are shaped to fit your oil filter. You can run a single or two of them if you have space (you do on the Maverick) and are willing to spend the extra money. Have seen filters cut open with these magnets and they clearly work. The nice thing about these vs. the drain plug, is you see a lot more of the oil crossing over the magnets vs. only what might be in range of the drain plug. They are pricey, but they can go with you when you change vehicles or be resold even -- more of an investment. For the Maverick stock sized filter, you would want the SS300 or SS300 pair. If you use the FL1A sized filter, you would want the SS365 or SS365 pair. They can be found elsewhere (cheaper), but linking to the official site for info:

https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss-300/
https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss-300-pair/

https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss-365/
https://www.shopfiltermag.com/product/ss365-pair/

PXL_20240523_035321295.jpg

That's it for now. Feel free to share thoughts or anything that you might want to add. I realize these aren't for everyone, but some will appreciate it.
Nice writeup. I do my own oil/filter changes. I find the Motorcraft 910S allows me to fill with 6 qts [5 qt jug + 1 qt bottle]. You didn't mention this, but I'm sure you put oil in the new filter before attaching it :) . Nice engine cushion cover.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@A.Bursell Nice write up.
I'm a Royal Purple, 5+1 guy. I've used WIX for years and currently strictly the XP version even for my 24hp Cub Cadet and that specifically for the vibration resistant HD filter material and base plate.
Comparing the specs to your fave Fram filter, media, base, flow, upgraded gasket material, price, very similar.

WIX XP
Ford Maverick EcoBoost Oil Change Maintenance Tips wix x

OP
OP

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

None of this is needed. Have you cut open an oil filter in the last 20 years, even after a 10,000 mile OCI? There's nothing in there. There's no need for more oil filter capacity. Drain plug magnet is very helpful on a small engine like a portable generator with a tiny oil capacity and no filter, or on a motorcycle with a wet clutch. Modern cars, not so much. As for the filter magnet :rolleyes:.
Of course none of this is "needed," and I don't think anyone said it was. Just information sharing. Some people will like it and want to do the same or add their own opinions, and others won't. No big deal

OP
OP

A.Bursell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

@A.Bursell Nice write up.
I'm a Royal Purple, 5+1 guy. I've used WIX for years and currently strictly the XP version even for my 24hp Cub Cadet and that specifically for the vibration resistant HD filter material and base plate.
Comparing the specs to your fave Fram filter, media, base, flow, upgraded gasket material, price, very similar.

WIX XP
wix xp.jpg
I've used many Wix / Napa Gold filters, and some Wix XP as well. I like them. Seems like Mann Hummel is making some changes since purchasing Wix, hopefully they keep them top tier.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've used many Wix / Napa Gold filters, and some Wix XP as well. I like them. Seems like Mann Hummel is making some changes since purchasing Wix, hopefully they keep them top tier.
And given the info on what I am seeing with the filter you are using, which is essentially the same as the Nappa, it seems like FRAM is trying to make a come back ;) I think the biggest misconception was people will fall too easy for marketing and some of their cheaper production stuff was exposed to be, well, cheap... At least now we have folks that will hold a fire to companies feets via recorded video evidence. Overall, I'm impressed. This forum has done two things for me so far... shed my "extended warranty bad" skin and now I'm looking into using a FRAM filter :ROFLMAO:

Slowly becoming the man I've always inspired to be:

Ford Maverick EcoBoost Oil Change Maintenance Tips Ron-Swanson

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

ChemicalSweet13

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome information! I'm eating this stuff up! I'm going to order the stuff you recommended and have a professional install it for me on my next oil change. I think I'll do the same for my daughter's 2007 Toyota Highlander hybrid. Seems like a good idea. Thank you for posting, I'm I'm grateful.
Sponsored