Sponsored

2.0 EcoBoost? Change everything (oil / fluids)!

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Spark, Toyota Prius, 1973 F100
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m going to speak strongly about this. With myself and others finding their PTU’s under filled, lots of metal debris and the fluid of very bad condition (mine was more than 50% underfilled!). There being no real break-in procedure for the 2.0 EB engine (Ford doesn’t put in break-in oil at the factory). The color of the transmission fluid i just changed at 5800 miles. Everyone! Please listen to me. Change your engine, PTU, transmission & RDU at at east 5000 miles If not change the PTU oil as soon as you take delivery. Don’t rely on the warranty to make things right. The PTU underfiling and the transmission fluid issues are things that will surely prematurely fail after our warranty ends. I personally want my Maverick to last a long time. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Ford Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost? Change everything (oil / fluids)! IMG_0049
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not worried about the color difference there but the underfill would be an issue.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My concern would be the level of fluid in the unit which I will check soon. As far as wear is concerned the the PTU and rear drive unit has be active only for about 20 miles while I was on the beach. If it was to fail now it would be more likely be due to manufacturing defect or no fluid in the unit at all.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m going to speak strongly about this. With myself and others finding their PTU’s under filled, lots of metal debris and the fluid of very bad condition (mine was more than 50% underfilled!). There being no real break-in procedure for the 2.0 EB engine (Ford doesn’t put in break-in oil at the factory). The color of the transmission fluid i just changed at 5800 miles. Everyone! Please listen to me. Change your engine, PTU, transmission & RDU at at east 5000 miles If not change the PTU oil as soon as you take delivery. Don’t rely on the warranty to make things right. The PTU underfiling and the transmission fluid issues are things that will surely prematurely fail after our warranty ends. I personally want my Maverick to last a long time. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

IMG_0049.jpeg
Any thoughts on the ECVT oil? I changed my engine oil at 1500 miles and now I have 5000 miles on it. Thanks

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Emphasize the RDU as well. Changed the fluid at 10k miles and was really suprised about the build up on the magnet and fluid condition as well.

Also, I'm going to install an inline ATF filter for the transmission on the line that sends atf fluid to the transmission radiator since we have no filter to service on the 8F35 transmission.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Emphasize the RDU as well. Changed the fluid at 10k miles and was really suprised about the build up on the magnet and fluid condition as well.

Also, I'm going to install an inline ATF filter for the transmission on the line that sends atf fluid to the transmission radiator since we have no filter to service on the 8F35 transmission.
Interesting! i d
Not worried about the color difference there but the underfill would be an issue.
That much of a color diiference at 5600 miles doesnt seem logical. but thats just me. I should have taken a sample to get it tested, but i didnt.

OP
OP

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting! i d

That much of a color diiference at 5600 miles doesnt seem logical. but thats just me. I should have taken a sample to get it tested, but i didnt.
I read some posts that some are concerned about in inline filer slowing fluid flow. it makes sense to me, so get a big filter

OP
OP

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any thoughts on the ECVT oil? I changed my engine oil at 1500 miles and now I have 5000 miles on it. Thanks
[/QUOTE
Here's my opinion. the ECVT ol is just as critical. At this point i dont trust that all was done correctly at the factory. Check or change everything as soon as you take delivery. And get the fluids tested at Blackstone to start a basis for wear trends.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As far as wear is concerned the the PTU and rear drive unit has be active only for about 20 miles while I was on the beach.
They're always turning whether you think you're "using" AWD or not.

OP
OP

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The underfill is absolutely a concern. The break-in period is the most critical period for any new mechanism that is lubricated by a lubricant.

OP
OP

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The ECTV fluid is just as critical during break-in as any of the other oil/fluid lubricated components on the Mavericks. Everyone! I would change the ECVT oil as soon as you take delivery if not after the break-in period (5000 miles?).

2020 GT500

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2023 Miata RF Club
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do we even have a tranny dipstick to check fluid level?

OP
OP

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
JM5Z7A098A
it's an internal filter - you are correct about "no service" though, Ford engineers say what?
The Ford engineers are absolutely trippin! I'll bet you cash that a PTU that is less than 50% filled will fail before 100,000 miles if you have a 4K tow package and you tow most of the time to max capacity like I do. This is why I'm so upset about the PTU issue. And why I changed everything when I found that others were finding their PTU's underfilled and producing large amounts of ferrous debris. When I saw the transmission fluid I knew that I had to post something. I've asked Blackstone if they have any results of 2.0 EB trans fluids. I want to state this again. I haven't even driven 6000 miles! I'm so happy I caught the PTU oil earlyish!
Sponsored