Sponsored

Video: 2022 Maverick 2.0L EcoBoost Oil Change Procedure (First Oil Change)

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater truck
Updated with tip by @slashy42 (posted below)

Check the other thread where someone else posted pictures. He did this entirely wrong in the video. That big skid plate should not have been removed. The glue on the bolts should have been a huge red flag. It isn't meant to be removed for normal maintenance.​
All that needs to be removed is the smaller front skid plate and the black plastic cover in the middle of the bigger skid plate.​

Doesn't sound like he'll be doing his own oil changes after this:

Glad I did it so I know now to just take it to the dealer next time. It’s about the same price to pay someone anyways. If I had an actual car lift this would be a total different story. But I’m here to show you an everyday person doing regular maintenance, and what you may encounter on your first oil change.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
A few comments. First i agree i would be pissed about the loctite on the pan that needs to come off to change oil. Second i hate how tight they put on oil filters from the factory but this is pretty universal. My new other manufacturer vehicle some got stabbed to get off.

Last and more importantly the condition of the oil. The color at 1k miles is bad and the real kicker is the thinness of it. This is fuel dilution from the direct injection engine. It is know to happen since the fuel is sprayed directly in the cylinder some doesnt get mixed with the air and gets in the oil. But with my experience with direct injection that looks like how it would look after 5k. So i wouldnt do more then 5k oil changes with the eco boost. You will risk bearing issues in the future.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I knew this was going to be a PITA from that other thread that first showed the underbody. Ford needs to learn from the Europeans and some Japanese brands that make sure the filter is accessible from under the hood and the dipstick tube is extractor friendly.

It would make oil changes very quick easy and safe affair. Changing oil on our Mercedes for example can be done in a white dress with high heels. Take out the dipstick, suck out the oil into your extractor, pop off the plastic cover, unscrew the reusable plastic oil filter holder (its plastic with a distinct stop block, so you know its not overtorqued), pop on a new filter and ring, top off the oil (I use one of those huge funnels that has a rectangle shape to hold a quart container so you can just set it in there and let it empty while opening the next one), and voila, done.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Check the other thread where someone else posted pictures. He did this entirely wrong in the video. That big skid plate should not have been removed. The glue on the bolts should have been a huge red flag. It isn't meant to be removed for normal maintenance.

All that needs to be removed is the smaller front skid plate and the black plastic cover in the middle of the bigger skid plate.

Pictures in the other thread: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...l-needed-for-oil-change-on-fx4-maverick.2704/

Last edited by a moderator:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still, oil changes usually take 10 mins to complete, yet here its 10 mins just to get that panel off?

I just watched this video, and the Maverick FX4 came to mind. Ford, take notes! She's absolutely right, some attention to detail was taken to make the vehicle easier to DIY maintenance (well aside from Subaru style oil change simplicity with a top mount oil filter, but still not bad and Subarus have their own maintenance nightmares due to the boxer engine shape which this doesn't):

Sponsored

VICKY

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK 2.L ECO-BOOST & Mazda Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Updated with tip by @slashy42 (posted below)

Check the other thread where someone else posted pictures. He did this entirely wrong in the video. That big skid plate should not have been removed. The glue on the bolts should have been a huge red flag. It isn't meant to be removed for normal maintenance.​
All that needs to be removed is the smaller front skid plate and the black plastic cover in the middle of the bigger skid plate.​

Doesn't sound like he'll be doing his own oil changes after this:

Glad I did it so I know now to just take it to the dealer next time. It’s about the same price to pay someone anyways. If I had an actual car lift this would be a total different story. But I’m here to show you an everyday person doing regular maintenance, and what you may encounter on your first oil change.

Ford WILL be doing my oil changes, wouldn't trust my local Valvoline to put that pan back on the right way! thanks!

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for posting....
After watching this again I am coming to the conclusion that a child designed all the serviceable parts in the mav. A small door in line to the filter and drain would have done the trick. This is so labor intensive to a tech at the dealer vs DYI. I would guess that the service for this truck will be at 99+ for sure vs the normal 39 bucks.
Also of note that OIL was dirtier than I expected at 1100 miles. But its a Turbo and due to emissions who knows the amount of exhaust is getting back into the intake.

Those bolts probably go loose and fall away under vibration hence the blue Loctite.

edit: Ok I guess there is a door for the drain plug but still to access the oil filter is a joke
Sponsored