Sponsored

Maintenance Schedule for 2021 Maverick [Oil Change, Spark Plugs, Transmission Fluid]

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the Owner's Manual:

Oil Changes -- every 10k miles
Spark Plugs -- at 100k miles
Transmission Fluid -- at 150k miles

The maintenance schedule... It's awesome.

Coming from a 2012 Ford Focus manual where I change the oil every 3-5k and had to convince the dealer that, "no, this is a manual, I don't have to change my transmission fluid at 60k." To this... It's just awesome.

I know, there'll be things that come up, but this seems like a much more affordable vehicle to maintain. 1/3 better gas mileage and half as many oil changes, not to mention the transmission fluids... Count me in!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

asel3121

First Name
Asel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Engine
Undecided
Never owned a hybrid before so excuse my ignorance, but are you referring to the hybrid or regular version?

What's maintenance like on a hybrid, anyway?

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never owned a hybrid before so excuse my ignorance, but are you referring to the hybrid or regular version?

What's maintenance like on a hybrid, anyway?
Pretty sweet IMO! If you consciously depend on regen braking to do most of your stopping the pads can last you upwards of 100k+. I'd feel confident going 10k miles (or 1 year, whichever comes first) between oil changes knowing that the Hybrid system is accounting for some of the mileage. In the past on conventional Ford engines I usually did ~7500 miles, which still showed a clean bill of health from a Blackstone analysis.

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
Never thought I'd say this but it's on par with my 6 speed accord. Maybe even better.

Sponsored

Lappo424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord - Looking to switch to Maverick XL
Pretty sweet IMO! If you consciously depend on regen braking to do most of your stopping the pads can last you upwards of 100k+. I'd feel confident going 10k miles (or 1 year, whichever comes first) between oil changes knowing that the Hybrid system is accounting for some of the mileage. In the past on conventional Ford engines I usually did ~7500 miles, which still showed a clean bill of health from a Blackstone analysis.
Explain to me how I can use this braking technique.

I have a manual and down shift to stop the car. I don't use the brakes much at all

ARoughLanding

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2016 Ford Escape
2022* Ford Maverick ;)

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I have a manual and down shift to stop the car. I don't use the brakes much at all
You just have to do a lot of coasting to a stop and use very light braking so that you do not engage the conventional brakes. It will feel similar to engine braking with a manual transmission car, but it will be the hybrid motor turning the motion back into electricity in the battery. There will be a tell tale in the cluster giving you feedback on how efficient you are in using regen vs conventional braking. It becomes kind of a fun game for nerds like me.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From the Owner's Manual:

Oil Changes -- every 10k miles
Spark Plugs -- at 100k miles
Transmission Fluid -- at 150k miles

The maintenance schedule... It's awesome.

Coming from a 2012 Ford Focus manual where I change the oil every 3-5k and had to convince the dealer that, "no, this is a manual, I don't have to change my transmission fluid at 60k." To this... It's just awesome.

I know, there'll be things that come up, but this seems like a much more affordable vehicle to maintain. 1/3 better gas mileage and half as many oil changes, not to mention the transmission fluids... Count me in!
I change the oil when I change the tires every six months and I drive about 10K miles a year.

My shop is cheap and it's peace of mind.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I change the oil when I change the tires every six months and I drive about 10K miles a year.

It actually makes a whole lotta sense to me when I think about it; gas engine has running much less, brushless electric motors have little maintenance (if any?), Transmission doesn't actually have rubbing parts, etc. I've just never gotten to own or maintain a hybrid before, so it's something I never even thought about.

Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I had a 2005 BMW X3 new car and drove it over 100K miles with down shifting... and NEVER replaced those "soft brakes"... the BMX dealer was astounded by that information... and a brake job for that car was really expensive! Since then, I have loved using any type of "Tiptronic" shift in my cars (Mazda CX5 (72k miles when sold and Audi Q5 57K miles when sold)... and never replaced brakes in either car!

With this rotary dial shifter - I do not see the "Triptronic" capability... If I drop it into "low" gently as I approach manageable stops (stop signs, traffic lights)... am wondering if that is hard on the trans, the shift mechanism or other wise? Looking for feedback here please?

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
If I drop it into "low" gently as I approach manageable stops (stop signs, traffic lights)... am wondering if that is hard on the trans, the shift mechanism or other wise? Looking for feedback here please?
Assuming you're asking about the hybrid, yes, dropping into L will feel like it downshifted except it will only happen once since there are no additional gears like a multi-speed automatic trans. Some EV's have paddle shifters that vary the amount of regeneration braking applied.

In fact, I and many, many others find that driving in L gear is preferred over D. It gives a more "one pedal" type drive where the driver rarely has to touch/use the brake pedal till the very end (under 10 mph or less) of coming to a complete stop. Some BEV's can come to a full stop from regen only using zero brake pedal (true one pedal driving and yes the brake lights activate).

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Assuming you're asking about the hybrid, yes, dropping into L will feel like it downshifted except it will only happen once since there are no additional gears like a multi-speed automatic trans. Some EV's have paddle shifters that vary the amount of regeneration braking applied.

In fact, I and many, many others find that driving in L gear is preferred over D. It gives a more "one pedal" type drive where the driver rarely has to touch/use the brake pedal till the very end (under 10 mph or less) of coming to a complete stop. Some BEV's can come to a full stop from regen only using zero brake pedal (true one pedal driving and yes the brake lights activate).
Sorry, should have been more specific... I am referring to the 2.0 L EB engine... waiting for your response thank you kindly.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

You replace your tires every oil change?

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You replace your tires every oil change?
I wondered that too then decided they meant they ROTATE their tires every 6mos/5000mi.
Sponsored