Driving your Maverick Fast

Mr Mayor

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
I test drove a Lariat on city streets. At those speeds it was obvious that the truck needed a bigger rear sway bar. Quick jerks of the steering wheel left/right made the "tail wag the dog". At higher speeds you would definitely want more bar.
Sponsored

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would get it looked at could have something loose on the suspension. I've done highway speeds that are 120 kph 80mph is 128kph so rolling down a hill picked up some more speed no issue. Even accelerating since a semi wanted to move over so I booted it to get out of the way it has plenty of power and pep to get going. Had no problem at what ever speed.

Now fwd accelerating quickly will lift the front end and make it feel a little floaty that's normal.

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel fine at 80, wouldn't know I"m there if I weren't putting the cruise on that number specifically... Actually a few times, I've thought I was going quite a bit slower...

FordHater

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Trailblazer I6 (Golden Deuce), Missing Grey Mav
I happen to know a person who did 85 to work everyday to check gas mileage. For science. I heard it drives very nice and cruise control works very well around that speed on the hills. However your mpg at approx 85mph is about 26mpg. In an xlt hybrid. Slow it down to 75 and mpg is about 37. 65-70mph gets about 40mpg.... for science.

OP
OP

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do love how the maverick accelerates on the ramp and the 50 to 80 passing acceleration. The drive train has truly been optimized for those two real world situations where acceleration is needed.

Sponsored

Oggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I happen to know a person who did 85 to work everyday to check gas mileage. For science. I heard it drives very nice and cruise control works very well around that speed on the hills. However your mpg at approx 85mph is about 26mpg. In an xlt hybrid. Slow it down to 75 and mpg is about 37. 65-70mph gets about 40mpg.... for science.
I know a person who drives 80, like the one you know, for science, and they are showing around 36-38 mpg on the computer, and calculated is 36mpg. They tried going 75, but it just felt too slow...

OP
OP

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am averaging 36.5. What does that mean?

Las Cruces FX4

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Um the 2.o FX4 MIGHT do over a 100 without issues, or so I've been told.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Exactly. That is why I have to scratch my noggin everytime I hear folks wanting the ST Package. This is an entry level truck. It may not look it necessarily thanx to the Ford designers but she ain't no sports car or sports sedan.
That's why you have the toys on standby in the garage. Sometimes you just gotta let loose.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Um the 2.o FX4 MIGHT do over a 100 without issues, or so I've been told.
Why would it have issues doing over 100? It's basically an Escape with a stretched chassis. The Escape 2.0L is limited to 126 mph. Guessing they put a lower limiter on the Maverick because of the lower gearing.

Sponsored

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Woooheee! We got us some real hairy chested he-man daredevils here.

Look at me ma! I'm going a hunerd miles a hour.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Personally I don't plan on going that fast. I was stationed in Germany when I was in the Army and drove on the autobahn. Have no fear of going fast, just don't see the need of doing 100+ down the interstate. Even 80+ mph is excesseive when the speed limit is 65 mph in my area. Wastes gas and you really don't save that much time. Also any flying rock ,debris, etc from in front of you from another car or high wind is going to impact your car that much harder. That stone that hits your windshield at 100 mph may crack it whereas at 70 mph, it may have glanced off leaving minimal damage.

Last edited:

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I...just don't see the need of doing 100+ down the interstate.
...Even 80+ mph is excesseive
...Also any flying rock ,debris, etc from in front of you from another car or high wind is going to impact your car that much harder.
I agree with your comments and, believe me, the high speed was not sustained. It was probably 5-10 seconds. I'm not setting the cruise for a road trip that high. Also, like a said in my post above, it was open highway. No traffic. It was the middle of the day so I had great visibility. It was a one-time thing just to 'see' if it could be done comfortably. I haven't done it since and may never do it again.

I bought the hybrid because I spend 95% of my time in soul-crushing stop-n-go traffic, under 55 mph. I still like to feel some adrenaline now and then though.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First time hybrid owner here, approaching 10,000 miles on the odometer.
I tried the 80+ MPH thing a time or two myself, but the mileage goes to crap and I keep hearing Scotty bitch about what I'm doing to the dilithium crystals.
At 80 the ice is running the show. And very little power is being cycled into or out of battery subject of course to internal battery temps.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Woooheee! We got us some real hairy chested he-man daredevils here.

Look at me ma! I'm going a hunerd miles a hour.
At age 22 I got my bike (heavily modified Honda CBR1000rr) impounded and lost my license for 18 months for being clocked at 184mph on the freeway at ~3am. Not sure how they clocked me (my digital speedo said at least 186), but there were two highway patrolmen waiting for me on the off-ramp. Fun times, I took my ego to the track after that.

In 3k miles, I'm pretty certain I haven't exceeded 75mph in our hybrid Maverick. Maybe my wife has, but not by much.
Sponsored