First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been wondering for awhile what folks experience is with the Maverick over 80 mph. I'm a little ashamed to admit it but I occasionally drive at high speeds. It seems to me, that my Maverick hybrid is not really stable at those speeds. Is it my truck? Am I asking for too much or should I just slow down? Inquiring minds want to know.
Sponsored

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been wondering for awhile what folks experience is with the Maverick over 80 mph. I'm a little ashamed to admit it but I occasionally drive at high speeds. It seems to me, that my Maverick hybrid is not really stable at those speeds. Is it my truck? Am I asking for too much or should I just slow down? Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't live out west or anything so no extended driving at 80+. But when passing on the highway and such I've gotten there. It def isn't particularly confidence inspiring at 85 but it's way better than my old honda fit. The power was fine for what it needed to do but you could def feel it struggling aerodynamically. It was pretty loud too but again totally expected. I'm sure it's perfectly safe but generally it's best to keep it under 80 tbh. There is always a suprising gap between safety and comfort limits. Until there isnt at least lol

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lariat Hybrid, all 5 seats full, hit 101 on an open highway.

It was incredibly smooth. had no issues whatsoever.

Sponsored

nathan.wright

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mazda B2200
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't be ashamed, we have speed limits that high here in Texas. Mine seems totally stable even at higher speeds.

ehauser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just the other day I hit 80 getting onto the interstate. I didn't even know I was going that fast til I looked down. Wasn't at that speed for long as our speed limit is 70 and I think it was lower than that in this particular stretch. All that to say I didn't feel scared until I realized how fast I was going :)

Sponsored

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've hit low 90's in my hybrid a number of times. Aside from the soft tonneau sounding like it was ready to tear away, nothing at all felt bad about the vehicle.

OP
OP

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have found that I have slowed down driving the Maverick. I came from a Subaru Forester with the boxer engine that just begged to be revved and an all wheel drive tuned to get you through the curves quick and securely

The Maverick is a little different. It is ultra elegant slipping through the neighborhood on electric only. Stately going around curve with it's higher center of gravity. Effortlessly, accelerating to pass other cars or accelerating on the ramp to the highway. Getting progressively louder as your speed climbs, but always with lots of peddle left if you need to go faster. The copilot 360 helping with the steering. I just relax and take more time.

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The first time you punch the hybrid to pass, it will physically snap your head back and jump from 50 to 80+ in a few seconds. The first time this was totally unexpected. Now I know it's coming :) I haven't noticed any instability over 80, I now have 6K on her.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a truck, not a sports car.

Having said that, I've been at that speed and occasionally higher because I am used to the road noise of a convertible sports car with stiff performance tires. It's stable and smooth. I wouldn't try to run through a slalom at that speed in the Maverick, but for freeway driving it should be just fine.

Seriously, the Maverick is quieter at 80 mph than my Mustang convertible is at 50.