Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
The high voltage battery

Heat in the hybrid is 100% from the ICE, there is no electric heating element for the cabin. In the winter, remote start will turn on the ICE. But probably shut it off an on as needed while you’re parked, after you’ve reached your automatic temperature setting.
The owners manual shows a 40a circuit for resistance heating in the hybrid only.
Ford Maverick Drive belt on the 2.5L engine 1D8E6D9D-4F0C-49CC-A8A4-4AC97EC709FD
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Heat in the hybrid is 100% from the ICE, there is no electric heating element for the cabin. In the winter, remote start will turn on the ICE. But probably shut it off an on as needed while you’re parked, after you’ve reached your automatic temperature setting.
I hope so, as electric heaters are super inefficient.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is no drive belt just a harmonic balancer, all of the systems are electric, there is no starter as the ECvt takes care of that and all the charging needs. Don’t have all the details basically the 2.5 motor doesn’t have anything attached to it but the ECvt.
I have read the Atkinson version has a higher compression ratio. But a different camshaft profile as well. A late intake opening results in a smaller charge of air.Low torque engine without the help of the electric motor.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a 60A and additional 40A for the resistance heater below that one as well.
Could one of those be for optional block heater?

Sponsored

RocketJockey83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Prius c
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's nothing for a drive belt to do.

Everything runs off of the high voltage battery, nothing but the computers run off of the 12v battery.
Hybrids don't have belts.

OP
OP
jeffdeq

jeffdeq

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Platinum Energi, 2020 F150 King Ranch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Block heaters are usually straight from the plug to the heating element. No fuse at all.
Thermal management is one of their biggest obstacles. The high voltage battery will most certainly have a heater for the battery "coolant/heating" fluid to ensure that the internal temp of the battery cells are at a certain temperature so that regenerative braking can be implemented or increased proportionally dependent on internal battery temp. I believe that there is a heat recovery unit on the ice exhaust to help circulate heat to where it's needed. The battery appears to have the bottom (15-20%?) dedicated to it with temp controlled dampers and an electric circulating pump along with a separate burp tank. I read that if the tank got low to ensure that any entrapped the tech would have to use software to open valve and run pump until air is removed from battery, etc. So check tanks. With all the auxillary heat fuses they are heating everything and I am betting battery gets the 60amp circuit = get battery to 70 degrees or so ASAP before heavy braking occurs. I also expect that if battery temp gets over some temp then ac condenser can be called on to help as 170+ deg = death for lithium ion.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have read the Atkinson version has a higher compression ratio. But a different camshaft profile as well. A late intake opening results in a smaller charge of air.Low torque engine without the help of the electric motor.
I think it also has a longer stroke and since the aluminium head has a faster rate of heat transfer the compression can be increased with the piston strength being more of the limiting factor. Don't know just read what someone thought he knows!

Sponsored

RocketJockey83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Prius c
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the water pump on the ICE internal or external 12 volt driven?
That I don't know. Just know that pretty much everything that is belt driven on a regular ice is electric motor powered on a hybrid, engine fan, water pump etc.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it also has a longer stroke and since the aluminium head has a faster rate of heat transfer the compression can be increased with the piston strength being more of the limiting factor. Don't know just read what someone thought he knows!
In general a later intake valve opening bleeds some compression off. I struggle to understand why adding compression only to bleed it off works but it does. Valve overlap works the same.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In general a later intake valve opening bleeds some compression off. I struggle to understand why adding compression only to bleed it off works but it does. Valve overlap works the same.
It means that there's a longer power stroke; it's a simple way to make effectively a variable displacement engine. This allows maximum extraction of power from the combusting gasses as they require more volume than the unburnt volume of the intake stroke.

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
I hope so, as electric heaters are super inefficient.
Super inefficient, but really nice to have if you live in a colder climate! I had a diesel VW awhile back that had it. Pretty sure it was there just to augment the heater core until it was up to temp as diesels don’t warm up as fast. Whatever the case, it was sure nice getting some heat literally within seconds of a cold start until the engine was warm enough to start blowing the real heat. I kinda wish EVERY car was like that haha.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Super inefficient, but really nice to have if you live in a colder climate! I had a diesel VW awhile back that had it. Pretty sure it was there just to augment the heater core until it was up to temp as diesels don’t warm up as fast. Whatever the case, it was sure nice getting some heat literally within seconds of a cold start until the engine was warm enough to start blowing the real heat. I kinda wish EVERY car was like that haha.
I don't know how you guys think electric is "super inefficient." It's physics; the heater element is a resistor. ALL the power dissipated becomes heat. Now the only question is how efficiently you get that heat to the desired location.

It's the ICE that's inefficient. It produces heat as a waste product (where the desired product is motive power). We direct that heat to the cabin...when we want it... and dissipate it with a radiator when we don't.
Sponsored