Sponsored

Timing belt or chain in Maverick hybrid engine?

mavhopefull

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone know if the hybrid engine has a timing belt or timing chain?
It looks like both Hybrid and 2.0 are chains. I would have stayed away if it was in any way the same as the 1.0 EcoBoost. I'm working on a 2018 Ford Focus with a 1.0 3-cyl Turbo engine, and I have to say, if I had known how crappy those engines are, I would have never gotten it. It runs a Wet Timing Belt. Basically, the belt runs bathed in oil from the engine. It also has a wet belt running the oil pump. These belts degrade over time, mainly during the 80K miles time frame, and the debris clogs the oil pump pickup screen, causing oil starvation. Very poorly designed engine. I would stay away from these like the plague. They also suffer from internal coolant leaks that eventually cause the engine to overheat and, again, catastrophic failure.
Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

BMW had a major problem with timing chain guides on a discontinued N20 engine. A plastic chain guide fit around the chain I guess to keep it from hitting anything once it stretched. Problem was the guide would fall apart (plastic) in some engines and if you caught it in time $1400+ to fix, if you didn’t catch it in time $15,000+ for a new engine. Many manufacturers use a plastic chain guide so its not isolated. BMW settled a class action lawsuit and I know some other mfgs had some issues. Best way to prevent it supposedly was changing the oil. Of course making one that didn’t fall apart would have helped.
BMW = Bring Money Willis