Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There's a pretty smart guy around here, that explains how to prime your filter *After* you install it on the vehicle.

Kudos to you @FORD BOSS ME ! I learned something today..

Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I have a vertically installed filter, I may just continue what I have in the past, fill before installation. Not every vehicle (older ones) has the 'clear flood mode', so cannot be filled thataway.
tom

OP
OP
EMD_Driver

EMD_Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 / 2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If I have a vertically installed filter, I may just continue what I have in the past, fill before installation. Not every vehicle (older ones) has the 'clear flood mode', so cannot be filled thataway.
tom
This guy also does repair videos and explains things in plain english. This is a 6.7 diesel, but he very clearly explains why it's a bad idea to pre-fill the oil filter. Skip to 11:49 for his explanation..

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have never pre-filled a filter in my life. Impossible to do on the subaru as it is vertical with the threaded and hole sides down.

That being said - I've changed oil on dozens if not hundreds of models and I have never once prefilled a filter.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never pre-filled a filter in my life. Impossible to do on the subaru as it is vertical with the threaded and hole sides down.

That being said - I've changed oil on dozens if not hundreds of models and I have never once prefilled a filter.
I've owned two Subaru's and still own one. I always add a few ounces of oil to the filter, just enough to saturate the filter media. Never lost a drop installing it onto the engine.

Is it required? Absolutely not. Does it help on the first start after the oil change? Possibly. Does it hurt anything? Absolutely not.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've owned two Subaru's and still own one. I always add a few ounces of oil to the filter, just enough to saturate the filter media. Never lost a drop installing it onto the engine.

Is it required? Absolutely not. Does it help on the first start after the oil change? Possibly. Does it hurt anything? Absolutely not.
First - what parts of NC? I have property in Boone.

Definitely put some oil around the rubber gasket to absorb so it seats properly, but never in the filter. My Outback had 186k when I traded it in and my Forester has 95k and although it eats oil like a fat kid loves cake (has since day 1 - known issue with piston rings) she's purring along still.

Even more so in a boxer engine without a dry sump oil system - once the engine is off gravity does its thing and the oil falls back into the pan. When you start a I4 or V6 engine the sump will splash oil on the cylinder bores coating them - so not filling my oil filter isn't a major deal.

My1stFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Always prefilled my oil filter (Purolator Pure One) on the inline 6 of my old YJ. I've never changed my own oil since then. Never had an engine issue with that vehicle. Tranny is another story.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Definitely put some oil around the rubber gasket to absorb so it seats properly, but never in the filter. My Outback had 186k when I traded it in and my Forester has 95k and although it eats oil like a fat kid loves cake (has since day 1 - known issue with piston rings) she's purring along still.

Even more so in a boxer engine without a dry sump oil system - once the engine is off gravity does its thing and the oil falls back into the pan. When you start a I4 or V6 engine the sump will splash oil on the cylinder bores coating them - so not filling my oil filter isn't a major deal.
About 90 miles southeast.

I've done hundreds of oil changes on horizontally opposed aircraft piston engines and have never pre-filled an oil filter on any of them, so there is no argument from me, I only stated how I do it on my personal automobiles. I've never paid to have an oil change done for over 50 years and pre-filling is something I do to my own oil filters. As I said above, it doesn't hurt a thing.

FORD BOSS ME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided
tom
Most actually do have clear flood mode even older ones, it's been a staple with MANY manufacturers especially Ford

Diesels don't
Hybrids I will work on

Push button start does
Manual vehicles do
Standard key vehicles do

Even big companies like caterpillar have recommended the ceasing of prefilling due to contamination

Now if it's out of a bottle sure I get it do your thing

There is more than one way to get the job done

I'm holding nobody hostage forcing them to change just offering a different option

FORD BOSS ME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
Undecided

Some oil may be beneficial on some where others isn't

Ford has noticed on the higher reving 5.2L and the 5.0 v8s they want them installed dry no oil on oring - vibration helps walk the filters off and thus creates oil leaks

Some do require it and some don't

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Ford has noticed on the higher reving 5.2L and the 5.0 v8s they want them installed dry no oil on oring - vibration helps walk the filters off and thus creates oil leaks

Similar to Continental aircraft engines some years ago, they specified a silicone grease on the oil filter gasket and found they were loosening up, so changed back to clean oil on the gasket.

Comet71

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Comet 71
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Ford Mercury Comet
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

same!

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4

hmm never heard of that with the filter on the 5.0 and I’ve been on tons of pages and forums. Never an issue with the 5 5.0s I’ve had .

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze

Same, I've never heard of this particular old wives tale before but it sounds like just that.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Same, I've never heard of this particular old wives tale before but it sounds like just that.
I've prefilled on horizontal filters but there is enough residual oil left in the motor before it starts circulating not to cause an issue.
Sponsored