Sponsored

Does the Maverick have mount points to install a roof rack?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did the Nissan Frontier stop offering a roof rack? I had one on my '04 thought it was great.
They probably went away due to when fuel economy standards started really tightening up especially on the compact to mid-size trucks. Roof racks cut into aero for efficiency so easy enough to axe offering them.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
I'm looking for a good way to carry my 17 foot wood kayak I just finished putting together as well. I don't want to get it all scratched / dinged up while putting it on my Elevate rack.

I'm looking at the Thule Hullavator ( https://www.thule.com/en-us/winter-...yak-roof-racks/thule-hullavator-pro-_-1685448 ) which is going for $720 now. This would make it easier for me to lift my 40 lbs(ish) kayak which is kind of awkward to pickup by myself.

Also, I don't want to get roof rack. I may get a hitch that will act as elevated rack to give me more support for the kayak. Looking for thoughts & ideas.

kayak.jpg
Only 40lbs? My 12' fishing kayak weighs about 100 lbs.

Bear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus & Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only 40lbs? My 12' fishing kayak weighs about 100 lbs.
Ok, may be around 45lbs(ish) but not more than 50 for sure and I know for sure it doesn't weigh 100lbs. Right now my kayak is hanging in my garage and I will weigh it next spring.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you want to avoid scratches, look at Hully rollers. Mount them on a rail at the back of the bed, then you can lift the bow of the boat onto the rollers, then go around to the stern and push the boat onto the rack. The roof on the Maverick is low enough that a person can actually reach up to the rack. Try that with an f150 and you will need step stools. I did not use the rollers this season and both my boat and rack are scratched up. Use saddles on the front. The spread between the cross bars was 30" on my Subaru and I carried a boat all over the eastern seaboard.

The elevate system is an expensive solution and hard to get off your roof during the off season. One of the kayakers in out group has an elevate and she smiles every time she pushes the button and brings that boat down.

Fishing kayaks are way heavier than canoes or sit inside kayaks. I'd like to try loading one on top of my Maverick but have not had the chance.

Car manufacturers and even rack manufacturers have gotten wary of recommending all but the safest configurations. Often they ask for bow and stern lines. I only use them for my canoe.

OP
OP

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
If you want to avoid scratches, look at Hully rollers. Mount them on a rail at the back of the bed, then you can lift the bow of the boat onto the rollers, then go around to the stern and push the boat onto the rack. The roof on the Maverick is low enough that a person can actually reach up to the rack. Try that with an f150 and you will need step stools. I did not use the rollers this season and both my boat and rack are scratched up. Use saddles on the front. The spread between the cross bars was 30" on my Subaru and I carried a boat all over the eastern seaboard.

The elevate system is an expensive solution and hard to get off your roof during the off season. One of the kayakers in out group has an elevate and she smiles every time she pushes the button and brings that boat down.

Fishing kayaks are way heavier than canoes or sit inside kayaks. I'd like to try loading one on top of my Maverick but have not had the chance.

Car manufacturers and even rack manufacturers have gotten wary of recommending all but the safest configurations. Often they ask for bow and stern lines. I only use them for my canoe.
I really love the way my 12' vibe rides in the water but dang man that thing is such a pain to move around. I find myself using my sun dolphin knockoff 10' more just because I could easily pick it up on my shoulder and off I went.

I've always had a full sized truck until it recently got killed by another driver. Loading on top will be a first for me.

Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick carries boats better than any vehicle I know.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid