First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Toyota's been struggling having a number of plant closings for supply chain issues, a number of engine certifications and recalls. If they use a new engine/drive combination for the Stout it's a toss up.
Yeah if you had asked this question 10 years ago it's toyota all the way; these days it remains to be seen. Kaizen ain't what it use to be.
Sponsored

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the idea other auto makers are contemplating offering an alternative to the Maverick as this will keep Ford from resting on their laurels. If it looks like the Santa Cruz, I don't think it'll sway alot of Maverick owners. It wouldn't me, at least.

But if it is designed more similair to the Ford in it's appereance, and offers options the Ford doesn't, I would be curious enough to look.

It really would come down to how well they execute the design. As other have said, all makers have an example of a poorly executed design. With the Maverick, Ford has the head start on working out those kinks.

MavTime

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Toyota had decades to rule with a small hybrid truck, but they chose to follow the too-big-truck craze. The only reason I bought a Ford is because they did it first and made it look a like Truck and not an SUV. Also it seems Toyota interiors have gotten worse looking while Ford's have gotten better over the years. So I am not sure I'd be swayed by any other offering unless they really improve what Ford has done.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Toyota pretty much confirmed last fall that they do not have any plans for a smaller pickup.

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/to...averick?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"We don't have anything planned," Toyota brand head Dave Christ Christ said. "We're not announcing anything to the dealers. I won't even say 'yet' because that would suggest it's coming. But certainly, it's something we've looked at."

Sponsored

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Í will believe it, when I see it. Lot of talk the last few years, but that's all it been. I would like to see more manufacturers try to compete with Ford's Maverick. Would I buy it? Probably not, for one I have two Ford Dealerships near me and I don't see 100 mile trip to a dealership for service anything I would entertain. That being said competition is good for the consumer. It usually keeps the price down and the product improvements coming. Right now Ford has a winner with the Maverick. Could it use some improvements? Yes, a few little tweeks. Ultimately it wasn't enough to persuade me and others not purchase it. A bird in hand is better than two in a bush.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it looks like the Santa Cruz, I don't think it'll sway alot of Maverick owners.
I'm not into the "ute" look at all. I think if anyone could pull it off it would be Subaru, but really none of their vehicles are very attractive and haven't been for some time. The Outback is a functional vehicle and people love their wagons overseas, but here we love our truck designs.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was looking online the other day and saw that Toyota is coming out with a small form Pickup called the Stout.
I seen that it will be a Hybrid and also have the capability to drive the first 27 miles or so on full electric.
What are your thoughts on this?
Toyota themselves pretty much confirmed last fall that they do not have any plans for a Stout or other smaller pickup.

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/to...averick?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"We don't have anything planned," Toyota brand head Dave Christ said. "We're not announcing anything to the dealers. I won't even say 'yet' because that would suggest it's coming. But certainly, it's something we've looked at."

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah if you had asked this question 10 years ago it's toyota all the way; these days it remains to be seen. Kaizen ain't what it use to be.
Ya, probably profit motive is more important than Kaizen.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

In my experience with Toyotas. People will talk it up like its gold. Pay gold prices for it. One day I will be asked to look at something wrong with one or have to tow it, not neccesarily of its own fault but because they abused it thinking they could. Some time later I will have to drive someones and I will be unable to find a comfortable position and as I drive it the controls will seem out of place. Then I will spend the rest of my life wondering what is it that makes people buy into them.

But thats just me.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looked at the videos out on the EPU Truck by Toyota. It is going to CRUSH the Maverick.

MLC2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Stout is pet or a cartoon character. Maverick wins in the name cat.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ya, probably profit motive is more important than Kaizen.
Without a doubt and I have no problem with a company making a profit - it's either profit or bankruptcy.

The stupid part is that reliability is what fueled Toyota's brand. They even made more money on replacement parts because they were desirable used cars that people would pay to fix.

Once the bean counters take over, companies inevitably become shells of themselves. Just look at Boeing.
Sponsored