Sponsored

Dial shifter POLL

Do you prefer the Maverick dial shifter, or a standard/traditional automatic shifter?

• Total voters

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love the dial shifter, it’s easy to use to me, saves space and doesn’t feel clunky like the traditional shifter my 4Runner has. Makes it a bit fun I would say too.

For automatic transmissions, I don’t see the point of the large shifters for me because I got accustom to not resting my hand on the shifter since I’ve had always one manual transmission vehicle in my ownership for years.

On top of that, “manual shifting” a traditional automatic in manual or sport mode....was typically met with varying levels of disappointment from vehicles I owned including my current 4Runner that literally has no difference at all in performance in “S” mode...on top of the crappy shifting feel too lol.

My only gripes with the dial shifter are concern on dirt/grime getting into the wheel and the fact that in direct sun, I can’t see what gear I’m in on the dial sometimes. Aware that it displays the gear on the dash but it’s habit to look down for me so it’s a slight annoyance.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Yoliber

First Name
Yoliber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y
Don't have a maverick but I prefer any shifter that allows you to open up the center console. My old seqouia had a steering column shifter, that would be a good compromise. I really like the Mercedes/Tesla column shifters though.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Soooo...this is the new 300 post thread about the dial shifter then?

Also, I love driving a stick and would've liked paddle shifters. That aside, I love the dial. So easy to flick into drive, I find it very intuitive at 10K miles.

Clifdawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought I’d hate it, but 4,000 miles in, I’ve grown to like it. Smaller footprint, fewer places for dirt and crumbs and such to fall, and more room for cubbies and such.

Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm used to driving one handed with a manual transmission. So I guess I've gotten used to resting my hand on the shifter. Even in my wife's automatic transmission Taurus. I find myself resting my hand on the shifter as if I'm going to shift at some point.

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a much much harder time going from a manual transmission on the floor to an automatic on the floor 🤣 I kept wanting to shift that stick that didn't want to shift! And my left foot no longer had a thing to do;)
Love the dial shifter

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t have a mav yet, but my girl has the new exploder with it. Works great.

Tomstruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecosort,1932 Ford Coupe, 1929 Model A
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the dial shifter but it takes time to get used to it. We rented a car that had a dial shifter a few years back and if I wasn't paying attention I found myself increasing the fan speed instead of shifting. I did that for 3 days and I have done it on my Maverick but only a couple of times so far. I just laugh and turn the fan back down.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
wish it had a stop at drive & park and a detent at reverse. I find it hard to do by feel unless I could clicks. I'd like to turn it all the way to a stop for drive park, when it goes into reverse I'd like some sort of tactile feedback. If we had that I would have no problem at all since it's nice that it takes up so little space.

Sponsored

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
15000km in I don't mind the dial shifter. Saves room. Alot of room! Gunk won't get into it like a physical shifter.

The Flush

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Hybrid Lariat Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I want three on the tree like my 1970 Maverick had.

Renho17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You rarely use it in the grand scheme of things, so not sure why it’s such a big deal. I use my window switches more, and thank god those changed from manual to automatic.

Lindsey

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lindsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It takes so little effort to shift, I had a power cord shift it into neutral the other day. Also, don't like how it shifts it into park when you open the door, which I know is a safety feature, but I like to open the door when I'm trying to back into or shimmy into a parking spot.

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't "mind" the dial but I prefer the traditional stick shifter. Paddle shifters would be nice, but on a vehicle with 250hp, not needed. The only gripe I have about the dial is that it will spin past P and D. There is no stop gate. I would prefer it to stop. Just my .02.
Sponsored