First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK, I'll admit that at my age, I can't remember past this morning, but I thought I saw a comment posted yesterday that @fordvideoguy had shared some information regarding the difficulty in his shop getting/installing a hitch after the fact.

If someone knows where the comment/link is, please share. I can't find it. I'm trying to stay current on the topic.

HRG
Sponsored

barxlt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tim the FVG has talked about it a few times .He said its not the hitch thats a problem its the lights . They are not able to get lights to work for the trailer .

Christenhildebrandt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Christen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, I'll admit that at my age, I can't remember past this morning, but I thought I saw a comment posted yesterday that @fordvideoguy had shared some information regarding the difficulty in his shop getting/installing a hitch after the fact.

If someone knows where the comment/link is, please share. I can't find it. I'm trying to stay current on the topic.

HRG

Video stream 69 at about 25 mins. I have to figure out if I keep the hitch and stand pat or if I need to add a package. Really don’t want lux but if I give up Hybrid I guess 4k tow isn’t bad minus the price.

OP
OP

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Video stream 69 at about 25 mins. I have to figure out if I keep the hitch and stand pat or if I need to add a package. Really don’t want lux but if I give up Hybrid I guess 4k tow isn’t bad minus the price.
Thanks! HRG

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

HRG
I had to read your post three times to remember what I read the first time🤗. I would at very least add the hitch. But the LUX is nice and price is not that bad for what's there. I live in central Texas and feel like I can increase mpg by using heated seats and steering most of winter. I do have hybrid and intend to replace with plug in when available. I do have what appears to have 12v phantom draw which I expect to be fixed someday. I have not installed onboard genius 5 or 10 onboard maintainer yet but after coming off a Honda CR-V which has "Delayed bms recharging" which supposedly helps mpg it does accelerate battery death to 30-36 months. The mavs about 0.3-0.4 v draw down on 12v will probably be a $ wash at least for installing noco genius. I intend to discuss with Ford dealer at first oil change. I also am a low mileage user.

Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone have a source that this is an issue beyond one salesman's YouTube? I've seen discussions of people adding them, UHaul sells them, videos online for install. This is the only source that I recall that there is an issue adding a hitch and wiring, but it seems to have become gospel for some reason...

EDIT
Good data in this thread. Curt makes the 4 pin adapter that is plug and play. Can we please drop this myth you can't add a hitch after market?

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/diy-tow-hitch-installation.10748/

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The original problem with this was there were no plug and play wiring harnesses to purchase when adding hitch after the fact. Some were hacking BS harnesses. Things may have improved on that front over time.

I had an experience with U-Haul adding their aftermarket hitch on my Grand Cherokee. It worked OK, but the connections to my existing taillight wiring was a kind of a hack job that wasn't impressive. After a few years, I removed it and had Jeep dealer do the complete install of OEM hitch and harness that was much cleaner. FWIW: I Also found in my manual the advertised max towing rating was ONLY with factory installed hitch. Not sure that applies to Maverick or not?

OP
OP

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had to read your post three times to remember what I read the first time🤗. I would at very least add the hitch.
Sorry for the confusion, but my inquiry is NOT whether it's a good idea or not to order the factory hitch, it's whether people are still having problems getting an aftermarket (or Ford) receiver & wiring installed on a truck built without one. The wiring "appears" to be taken care of, with the plug & play Curt # C59DR kit, but both Curt & U-Haul show running the power lead to the vehicle battery, and not using the 20-amp 12V pigtail next to the tailights.

I'm curious to know if people using the Curt kit are having problems with codes being thrown, as was reported early on.

HRG

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Does anyone have a source that this is an issue beyond one salesman's YouTube? I've seen discussions of people adding them, UHaul sells them, videos online for install. This is the only source that I recall that there is an issue adding a hitch and wiring, but it seems to have become gospel for some reason...
In case it's relevant here the Ford accessories site seems to sell it only without wiring.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

HRG
I've put aftermarket hitches on a few cars and it wasn't that hard. Then there's the wiring for lights and stuff which is more tedious. The newer the vehicle the worse it is. The last one I used was Draw Tite and I would recommend them

Sponsored

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry for the confusion, but my inquiry is NOT whether it's a good idea or not to order the factory hitch, it's whether people are still having problems getting an aftermarket (or Ford) receiver & wiring installed on a truck built without one. The wiring "appears" to be taken care of, with the plug & play Curt # C59DR kit, but both Curt & U-Haul show running the power lead to the vehicle battery, and not using the 20-amp 12V pigtail next to the tailights.

I'm curious to know if people using the Curt kit are having problems with codes being thrown, as was reported early on.

HRG
I have been using the Curt harness for a Bronco Sport (using the wire flip) and have not had any issues. From what I understand there is now a specific harness for the Maverick available that does not require the modification.

Sarah Davis

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fusion, 2017 Cmax
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can add the hitch and wiring, but it will void your warranty with ford. That is why our aftermarket department is not offering the option. they know they cannot provide a warranty that covers it and it voids the original warranty so It will cause you problems getting repairs covered if something happens. So what Ford Video Guy is saying is, you can add it but its not recommended.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have been using the Curt harness for a Bronco Sport (using the wire flip) and have not had any issues. From what I understand there is now a specific harness for the Maverick available that does not require the modification.
There are aftermarket wiring solutions available. There is not wiring solution from Ford.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are aftermarket wiring solutions available. There is not wiring solution from Ford.
Correct. My dealer suggested ordering my XL EB with no options to expedite the build process. They assured me they would add any of the options after delivery for the same factory price. I found out pretty quick that they did not know what they were talking about. So I was on my own to add the hitch and wiring. I wanted the 400W inverter, they had no idea what was needed to add that which never got installed. I had to purchase Smartliner all weather floor mats myself. I was able to get the SIBL installed locally at the same cost. Lets just say, I learnt a lesson on that deal.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hitch is one thing i wouldn't not include in your build. I know many are buying already built mavericks with them but for $100 there's no reason a single non bulk order doesn't have the hitch.
Sponsored