Reaction score
Website
www.mobileguitars.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FX4 Luxury
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I got rear ended 2 weeks back, and thankfully the angle in which I was hit left only my bumper cover damaged with my hitch receiver taking the impact and saving my frame. If that angle were a little more level, I might have been screwed, so I added this Carr 5 inch folding hitch step for an extra cushion and functionality should it happen again. Not just a piece of mind purchase, this thing is the perfect size so I’m not blocking my plate, and it’s heavy duty for sure. Folds up safely and sturdy. I got mine from Real Truck for like $75 bucks or so, totally worth it. Makes walking up into the bed super easy and gives me that buffer should someone hit me again. Highly recommend for those of you who like me aren’t towing anything often. Cheers! - oliva

Ford Maverick Installed Carr 5 inch folding step hitch IMG_9617

Ford Maverick Installed Carr 5 inch folding step hitch IMG_9618
Sponsored

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got rear ended 2 weeks back, and thankfully the angle in which I was hit left only my bumper cover damaged with my hitch receiver taking the impact and saving my frame. If that angle were a little more level, I might have been screwed, so I added this Carr 5 inch folding hitch step for an extra cushion and functionality should it happen again. Not just a piece of mind purchase, this thing is the perfect size so I’m not blocking my plate, and it’s heavy duty for sure. Folds up safely and sturdy. I got mine from Real Truck for like $75 bucks or so, totally worth it. Makes walking up into the bed super easy and gives me that buffer should someone hit me again. Highly recommend for those of you who like me aren’t towing anything often. Cheers! - oliva

IMG_9617.jpeg

IMG_9618.jpeg
FYI I won't ever leave anything in the hitch, unless it's something that won't rust or help corrosion. I left my receiver in to long one time, never again. You also have to be careful with different metals, just don't want to go through that ordeal again. I have different trailer heights which I need different drop in receivers to keep them level. Not sure on the Maverick yet but the same could or would happen if I went to remove step and it was corroded into the hitch.

Another issue I don't need the step, when the bumper will work fine. Seeing that was the reason going to a unitized body from a body on frame 4x4.

Best of luck though with your setup. Hope you don't have a similar situation I experienced.

OP
OP
LittleNeckLightning

LittleNeckLightning

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mobileguitars.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

FYI I won't ever leave anything in the hitch, unless it's something that won't rust or help corrosion. I left my receiver in to long one time, never again. You also have to be careful with different metals, just don't want to go through that ordeal again. I have different trailer heights which I need different drop in receivers to keep them level. Not sure on the Maverick yet but the same could or would happen if I went to remove step and it was corroded into the hitch.

Another issue I don't need the step, when the bumper will work fine. Seeing that was the reason going to a unitized body from a body on frame 4x4.

Best of luck though with your setup. Hope you don't have a similar situation I experienced.
I’ll make sure to keep it clean and rust free, thx, didn’t think of that.

TxIsHome

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 stick shift Ranger, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_9617.jpeg

IMG_9618.jpeg
Thanks for the pictures! I’ve been looking at hitch steps and haven’t found one that I liked. I do like the fold up aspect as l would have bruised shins with the ones that are permanently down.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure if this information will help you, but possibly others who would like to make it easier to access the bed. A small step ladder can be a huge advantage of size or health issues comprise access to the bed. The best thing is it's useful even when the tailgate is down. A friend came over the other day with a 3/4 ton Ram and kept a small 18-20" height aluminum step ladder that was narrow. I'm guessing on the height.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleNeckLightning

LittleNeckLightning

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mobileguitars.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not sure if this information will help you, but possibly others who would like to make it easier to access the bed. A small step ladder can be a huge advantage of size or health issues comprise access to the bed. The best thing is it's useful even when the tailgate is down. A friend came over the other day with a 3/4 ton Ram and kept a small 18-20" height aluminum step ladder that was narrow. I'm guessing on the height.

OP
OP
LittleNeckLightning

LittleNeckLightning

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mobileguitars.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks, yeah that would be helpful, but for me it’s more about having an additional buffer before someone can get to my bumper. This method so far has been great for me, a quick step up to the bumper and I’m stepping over, not bad. Cheers

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just use the tire as a step and go over the side. Seems to be about the same height as the bumper but a little higher than the hitch.

My method doesn't protect from a rear end collision very well though.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Try using silicone spray. Once dry it's not like oil and grease especially when switching receivers, it also displaces moisture.

Ken L

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When we had the motor home, the tow bar was in the receiver 12 months a year. I coated the draw bar with a silver anti seize paste (I forget the proper name at the moment). I would take it out once a year and clean it). Never had a problem in 15 years.

Ken
edit add Anti seize

Sponsored

Mervin the Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2019 Hyunda1 Kona, 2002 Chevy S10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does this extend out beyond the tailgate when it is down, and where did you find/buy this?

OP
OP
LittleNeckLightning

LittleNeckLightning

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mobileguitars.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Does this extend out beyond the tailgate when it is down, and where did you find/buy this?
I got it from realtruck for like $80. It does not extend past the tail gate when it is down. This is a step up and over situation. Sounds annoying, but it’s great. It folds up nice and easy too. I can imagine if you need the tailgate down a lot for long cargo, that won’t work. But it’s an option, and a good deterrent to rear end damage. Cheers!
Sponsored