Hitch ball installed

Mctwzzle

First Name
Mctwzzle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat AWD FX4
Just over 1k miles and finally slapped a ball into the hitch then promptly frightened myself dropping the gate down.

Worry not, though it looks scary, I couldn't get the tailgate to actually touch it.
Ford Maverick Hitch ball installed Screenshot_20211129-165729_Gallery
Ford Maverick Hitch ball installed Screenshot_20211129-165739_Gallery
Ford Maverick Hitch ball installed Screenshot_20211129-165749_Gallery
Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Does your trailer need the rise? I’d flip it.

ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does your trailer need the rise? I’d flip it.
Soon I will be picking up a small teardrop trailer. Manufacturer told me the top of the ball should be at 22" - or 23" if the tow vehicle has low towing capacity.

I bought a ball mount with .75" rise and gets the top of the ball to 23.25".

Is that too high and could have an impact on towing and safety? Or should I be good once it squats down a bit from the weight?

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Soon I will be picking up a small teardrop trailer. Manufacturer told me the top of the ball should be at 22" - or 23" if the tow vehicle has low towing capacity.

Is that too high and could have an impact on towing and safety? Or should I be good once it squats down a bit from the weight?
You're probably alright, especially if you'll be adding stuff to the bed of the truck (bicycles, coolers, camp chairs, etc.). But it looks like if you used a straight ball mount that you would be right in the middle of the manufacturer's recommendation at 22 1/2 inches.

YazYaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're probably alright, especially if you'll be adding stuff to the bed of the truck (bicycles, coolers, camp chairs, etc.). But it looks like if you used a straight ball mount that you would be right in the middle of the manufacturer's recommendation at 22 1/2 inches.
Good advice Big T.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Just in case they are going to be that super picky put tool box or something in back of bed that lowers top of ball 1/2" or so.💡🤔💡

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am betting he is cya over people picking up trailers with vehicles with 150-200 tongue weight limits and his trailer has 300lbs or more. Who knows.???

ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm told to expect 225-250lbs of tongue weight. Total trailer weight should be a little over 2,000lbs.

I do expect some weight in the bed when towing as well.

I found selection of hitch mounts with no rise or drop to be limited, unless it was one with three separate sized balls and a hook for the fourth corner.

For whatever reason, I just wasn't into that.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Need to account for what goes on top of that ball also.
I have 3 different trailers (landscaping & motorcycle) Some trailers need a riser, some need a straight, some need lowering. Trailers need to be either level or downward so at lease 10-20% of weight is on the hitch. Most of my trailers have to have risers to be level. Also depends on where your trailer axel is located. This is trailer safety 101.

And NEVER load weight on the trailer without the trailer PIN in place or your probably have a trailer hitch pointing towards the sky.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
Curious..hybrid or ec? What brand teardrop? I think your set up looks fine. You definitely don't want the ball height too low. Too low meaning u drag your safety chains. Also too high and not enough tongue weight and the trailer will start swaying.

Last edited:

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
If it's a single axle, you'll be alright. Even if it's a tandem axle, I prefer towing with a slight nose-high.

I found selection of hitch mounts with no rise or drop to be limited, unless it was one with three separate sized balls and a hook for the fourth corner.
I usually go for the 3/4" rise (which is the lowest one offered) if I need no rise/drop. The 3/4" rise is barely noticeable when the trailer is empty and lets you front load the trailer and have it be level.

Trailers need to be either level or downward
I prefer a slight nose-high attitude. Downward is asking for the coupler, jack, or safety chains to drag on driveways. The axles of a trailer are usually 60% the distance rearward, meaning the angle of departure is greater than the angle of approach.

so at lease 10-20% of weight is on the hitch
I'd narrow that to 10-12%. 20% tongue weight is entering into 5th wheel/gooseneck territory. Granted this only really matters if what you're towing is of any substantial weight to the point that you're cutting it close on the maximum tow capacity of the vehicle.

For example, if I was only carrying a fridge or a sectional on a 5x8 trailer, I'd slam that thing against the front of the trailer, effectively giving it 30% or more tongue weight. But 30% of maybe a 700lb combined load (trailer + cargo) is 210lbs. The standard tongue weight limit of the Maverick is 200lbs. I'd be okay towing that load across the country. Yes I'm over the tongue weight by 10lbs, but the total weight of the trailer is well under the 2,000lb limit.

Now if I was towing 1800lbs, I'd do my best to balance the load to keep the tongue weight around 200lbs.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it's a single axle, you'll be alright. Even if it's a tandem axle, I prefer towing with a slight nose-high.

I usually go for the 3/4" rise (which is the lowest one offered) if I need no rise/drop. The 3/4" rise is barely noticeable when the trailer is empty and lets you front load the trailer and have it be level.

I prefer a slight nose-high attitude. Downward is asking for the coupler, jack, or safety chains to drag on driveways. The axles of a trailer are usually 60% the distance rearward, meaning the angle of departure is greater than the angle of approach.

I'd narrow that to 10-12%. 20% tongue weight is entering into 5th wheel/gooseneck territory. Granted this only really matters if what you're towing is of any substantial weight to the point that you're cutting it close on the maximum tow capacity of the vehicle.

For example, if I was only carrying a fridge or a sectional on a 5x8 trailer, I'd slam that thing against the front of the trailer, effectively giving it 30% or more tongue weight. But 30% of maybe a 700lb combined load (trailer + cargo) is 210lbs. The standard tongue weight limit of the Maverick is 200lbs. I'd be okay towing that load across the country. Yes I'm over the tongue weight by 10lbs, but the total weight of the trailer is well under the 2,000lb limit.

Now if I was towing 1800lbs, I'd do my best to balance the load to keep the tongue weight around 200lbs.
Would disagree putting the refrig slammed in the front of the trailer. Previously owning a trucking company we were trained by trailer manufacturers to put heavy loads above the axel but 10-12% weighted toward the tongue. Overloading the tongue will raise the front of the pull vehicle making a pull vehicle steer squirrelly and front braking even worse the the front wheels will have reduced weight. Again, it's significant where the axel is located. I have 2 farm and 1 landscaping trailers and their axels all in the middle.

If you want to hear about loading trailers start the discussion with a motorcycle rider.

Last edited:

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm told to expect 225-250lbs of tongue weight. Total trailer weight should be a little over 2,000lbs.

I do expect some weight in the bed when towing as well.

For whatever reason, I just wasn't into that.
I'm eyeballing this $17 Reese Class II receiver on Amazon - Reese Towpower 21901 Class II Interlock Ball Mount - Black

Rated for 3,500 pounds which is plenty for the non-tow package Mav.
Sponsored