Dead Maverick - Chapman Phila refusing to do the warranty work

Dimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
Since service is one of the only legitimate justifications for dealers even existing in the new world of direct sales, this is nuts. I wonder how Ford feels about dealers refusing to service their vehicles?
Correction you misspelled warranty service. There is no reason to take a vehicle to a dealer as opposed to any other competent mechanic.
Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
This seems crazy that the dealer you bought it from refuses to even look at it.

My brother had this happen to him when he bought a Nissan Frontier out of state then tried to have it serviced under warranty at the local dealer but I've never heard of this happening to someone who bought the vehicle from the dealer.......

Just nuts IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Chasmccall

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check the service history on the truck in the Ford app. Mine shows dealer service before I picked it up. If it shows dealer prep as service then you have proof they had done something before.
That's genius but unfortunately the app shows no service history

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What if the dealerā€™s service dept. felt like they could not take on any new customers due to a labor shortage, parts shortage, something temporary. I could see some sort of temporary thing but the right answer is the dealer should service your vehicle.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Came out Monday morning to a dead truck, a hybrid XLT. I called Chapman Phila (where I bought it) to get the warranty work done. Chapman refused to even look at the truck. Said they would not do the work because I haven't had any service on the truck done there. The truck was delivered end of May so I've had it approx 4 months, it has 2k miles, it hasn't needed any service yet. I explained this to them, they said they understood, this was their new policy, they were not going to accept the truck for warranty repairs. A call to the Service Manager went to voicemail & was never returned.

So, there you have it. If anyone has a direct # to Ford to discuss this I would appreciate it. I'm in the process of calling other dealerships to find someone who will do the warranty work w/o me buying it from them. This was my first new Ford so there's no history with me & Chapman, no bad blood. They just refuse to do the warranty work because of "policy".

Any advice on how to handle this, what the dealerships obligations are, etc. is much appreciated.
Someone needs to get burned. Not backing the product is stupid, deadly and wrong.
Walk into the dealership, preferably with accompaniment (a quiet friend?) and speak to management. Get them to pick up the ball.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Warranty work is free money for the service department, they are crazy not to want it in this market. NOW if they know parts aren't available for this repair and they have no more loaner cars available then MAYBE I could see them justifying not wanting to do the work but still, it's not a good luck when the internet exists and this story is going to spread quickly.
I listened to a lawyer talk about this, his take was basically, dealer could care less if warranty work gets repairedā€¦. Because they are not on the hook, FORD motor company is.

UrbanDweller

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick, '05 Lexus ES330
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably going to see a lot more of this. The dealerships are overwhelmed with all the business they can handle. (I went in on Saturday to get an oil change. First available appointment was 10 days later) I expect a lot of dealers will start to prioritize their workload.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Always felt there was something shady about their model. Guess I wasn't wrong...

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
Check to see if your state has a consumer ombudsman or a consumer advocate at the state attorney general has a consumer protection office.

Refusing warranty service for a car they sold is way out of line.

Years ago I had ongoing warranty problems with a Nissan and in the warranty paperwork there was a way to escalate any warranty disputes to the manufacture. You might look for something similar with Ford.

It would also be good to see if you could get an email from them explaining their policy so so that they can not just say that they were just saying that they could not give you an appointment today.

Part of what they may be trying to do is to avoid getting into a situation where you could return the car under your states lemon law. They may know that if they take it into the shop they cannot get the parts for several months which might long enough to qualify for a lemon law return.

Sponsored

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let's give Chapman a chance to respond here as they are forum participants. I had a very good purchase experience with them as did many others here.

Warranty service is typically a revenue generator for dealerships (depending on hours allocated) and we know that Chapman didn't make much profit on these and now aren't even getting many allocations out of their efforts.

Let's give them a chance to explain more here.

Thanks,
Robert
Is Chapman Philly also on here?
I know Horsham was/is, but I donā€™t believe Ed ever advertised here.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is Chapman Philly also on here?
I know Horsham was/is, but I donā€™t believe Ed ever advertised here.
I donā€™t believe Ed was ever here and Horsham really isnā€™t either, anymore. Anyway, Ed would not have anything to do with service.

Clock Doc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 ecoboost, Ford Crown Victoria
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had similar issues with two different Subaru dealers. The first one the salesman actually said to me "don't even think about coming here for service if you buy it somewhere else" This was his sales pitch. I stepped up to him laughing at him and said no problem there pal and walked out the door. I bought the car at another dealer who gave me a hard time about warranty work on the short block. Because of those two dealers I will never buy another Subaru.

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I listened to a lawyer talk about this, his take was basically, dealer could care less if warranty work gets repairedā€¦. Because they are not on the hook, FORD motor company is.
If a dealership does a warranty repair and messes it up, the dealer is on the hook 100% of the time. If the recall or warranty repair was not correctly and didn't fix the issue then that is on Ford. I think that lawyer should stick to law and leave service departments alone lol.
Sponsored