2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Their Indiegogo site says next round of shipping is January 2022. :(

I did see someone selling a used unit for over $200. Eek.
Definitely not worth $200. I struggle to say it's worth the $80. It's convenient, but worth $80 of convenience? Tough to say. It pairs nicely though with a wireless charger in a car, though.

January isn't too bad...if they can stay on schedule. I waited 6 months or more when I ordered it. I still get the emails for the project. Every couple weeks, the dev is talking about the delays is various chips or what they're having to do to make the software work with a different chip they can actually get.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Android has their own variations. I picked up a Indiegogo project last year called AAWireless. The chip shortage has really made their project hard and not sure if they're still selling them, but the developer is pretty well known on XDA forums. Overall, I've been pretty happy with mine.

Can someone test if Carplay or Android Auto work if you plug the phone into the rear USB ports? For something like a wireless dongle, that'd be pretty sweet to hide the puck back there rather than the center console.
I tested the iphone on the back USB and it does not work for CarPlay just charges. I suspect that it will be the same for Android Auto too.

OP
OP

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't comment on the other manufactures, but I can confirm that the CPlay2Air is working fine with my Lariat Lux Sync3. It was also working fine in my 2016 VW GTI where I ran it for 2 months before getting my Maverick.

I'll see if I can get time today to get a video of it starting up from cold and how long it takes to connect and the relative amount of delay that I see.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Their Indiegogo site says next round of shipping is January 2022. :(
And even January might be a bit optimistic. I ordered in the last batch that was ostensibly October delivery, but their recent update came out that they're yet finishing filling the preceding July batch. However they've been working on validating other models of wireless chip (the main limiting component it seems) for the factory to produce more.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I ordered that Carlinkit one from Amazon, arrived the next day which is nice. Too early to say how reliable it is, but at least on a Mercedes it works as follows:
  • Plug it into the USB port that does Apple Carplay.
  • It says Carplay device detected, connect?
  • You agree and then are prompted to connect to Merc-LFGK or something like that on your phone, but instead it showed up as Volks-LFGK or something which I was expecting from another reviewer.
  • It was that easy and every subsequent time you get in your car it just works automatically.
Now I did want to make sure it had all updates, so again like the reviewer said you point your camera at the barcode and it brings you to the address for the device, and it shows you the version and says you're up to date. LIES! You click check updates and then it gives you an update option.

When done you check updates again, and sure enough more updates. Did it one last time and finally after that it really is up to date with latest no matter how many times you click check updates.

I noticed no difference in audio quality or audio delay and all functionality I tested with siri and everything was as expected. It does take about 30 seconds after the vehicle turns on before Carplay launches though, but other than that no problem.

Return period is amazing from Amazon, free return until January 31st, probably because of the holidays, so its basically zero risk as I'll know in three months whether or not I have any issues with it.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BTW, here's Ford Sync 3 with all the major wireless adapters compared:

Connection time on bootup:
Wired = 4 seconds
cplay2air = 52 seconds
carlinkit = 29 seconds

Their verdict? Don't get the cplay2air, get the carlinkit.

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Android has their own variations. I picked up a Indiegogo project last year called AAWireless. The chip shortage has really made their project hard and not sure if they're still selling them, but the developer is pretty well known on XDA forums. Overall, I've been pretty happy with mine.

Can someone test if Carplay or Android Auto work if you plug the phone into the rear USB ports? For something like a wireless dongle, that'd be pretty sweet to hide the puck back there rather than the center console.
I've got one of the AAWireless devices. Works great in my Jeep Gladiator. I'll test it out when I get my Maverick.

MaverickMando

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can anyone confirm you have to have Siri turned on to get Apple carplay to work? That was my experience but I wanted to make sure. I prefer to have Siri turned off.

Sponsored

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can anyone confirm you have to have Siri turned on to get Apple carplay to work? That was my experience but I wanted to make sure. I prefer to have Siri turned off.
I don't know about the Maverick, but I know in my Chevy I keep it on, but just turn off all the ways you can access it and that does the trick. I've never turned it totally off though. I will try it in my car on my way home today, but I do know I've got to have wifi on, but that just maybe this particular car.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a Android person so I will be using Android auto, which I've never had a car capable of Android auto. Is this adapter universal or only for apples carplay.

ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm a Android person so I will be using Android auto, which I've never had a car capable of Android auto. Is this adapter universal or only for apples carplay.
You have to get one that's specific to Android. AAWireless is what a few of us in this thread are using.

Can't say how it works in the Maverick, but it should work just fine.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picked up my lariat lux today and I wanted to post that I can confirm that the wireless CarPlay adapter sold at https://cplay2air.com/ does indeed work with the Maverick. Now I can just put my phone on the charging mat and still get CarPlay. I just put some mounting tape on the dongle and tucked it up under the USB port.

48F2FCD1-53D9-4BE0-BF71-EB3A6BB1702A.jpeg
Fantastic information... thanks!!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is an interesting device that has a pretty powerful android device to run natively without any phone pairing, but also allows wireless android auto and apple carplay phone pairing for it.

Can't see any downsides to it other than that its expensive as heck and pretty huge since it does more than just wireless passthrough (could hide it out of sight though).

Could be an option for those that don't want to change the factory head unit and want to have a full android experience with agnostic phone OS wireless capability that uses the factory wifi hotspot on the Maverick for internet and with all safety nannies disabled.

If I already had a Maverick, I'd be tempted to buy this just to try it out and use the free return if its junk. If someone does, let us know.
Sponsored