bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat, 1961 VW bug
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Picked up my lariat lux today and I wanted to post that I can confirm that the wireless CarPlay adapter sold at https://cplay2air.com/ does indeed work with the Maverick. Now I can just put my phone on the charging mat and still get CarPlay. I just put some mounting tape on the dongle and tucked it up under the USB port.

Ford Maverick CPLAY2AIR Wireless CarPlay Adapter confirmed to work in Maverick 48F2FCD1-53D9-4BE0-BF71-EB3A6BB1702A
Sponsored

JibbersCrabst

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice. Just out of curiosity, if you just connect the phone with bluetooth without car play/android auto, can you just stream media audio via BT?

OP
OP

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice. Just out of curiosity, if you just connect the phone with bluetooth without car play/android auto, can you just stream media audio via BT?
That I am not sure of. I can test it out tomorrow and let you know.

OP
OP

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Follow up. Looks like it’s on sale since I purchased mine a couple months ago. Not many things are going down in price lately. Nice to see something is. 😀

Cubsfan24

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. I was looking into this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bschurman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is it responsive? Connect right away?
It can be a bit slow on startup but it’ll connect usually within 30sec. I don’t mind as I most of the time leave the phone in my pocket and I’m fumbling around with other stuff before I put it in drive and go.

Also the response for skip track, play, pause, once started is a little slower than cabled but not that bad. All the apps on the screen are just as responsive, though.

Overall the benefits outweigh the small price of the small delay. IMHO.

Last edited:

Cubsfan24

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It can be a bit slow on startup but it’ll connect usually within 30sec. I don’t mind as I most of the time leave the phone in my pocket and I’m fumbling around with other stuff before I put it in drive and go.

Also the response for like skip track, play, pause, once started is a little slower than cabled but not that bad. All the apps on the screen are just as responsive, though.

Overall the benefits outweigh the small price of the small delay. IMHO.
Great, think I’ll order it

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is good to know. I have wireless CarPlay now and was wondering about this device. Definitely ordering one.

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picked up my lariat lux today and I wanted to post that I can confirm that the wireless CarPlay adapter sold at https://cplay2air.com/ does indeed work with the Maverick. Now I can just put my phone on the charging mat and still get CarPlay. I just put some mounting tape on the dongle and tucked it up under the USB port.

48F2FCD1-53D9-4BE0-BF71-EB3A6BB1702A.jpeg
Nice clean simple installation. Looks great

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice clean simple installation. Looks great
I like that it gives you a really quick easy option too if you decide you want to plug a phone in instead. Nice.

Edit: So it seems this is one of their main competitors (that should link to the 2021+ model cars one). OP one appears to be $99 + shipping, the Amazon carlinkit one is $98 free shipping. Fakespot plugin flagged OPs as poor reputation and the Amazon one got an A-rating as a seller, for whatever that is worth.

The below review also reports bad customer support and no return process mirroring the bad Fakespot seller score for OPs:
http://appletechtalk.com/carplay2air-wireless-apple-carplay-adapter/
As you will see in the comments below, many of our readers have had problems when ordering this product or getting customer services and/or a refund when the unit does not work. It has been suggested by some, that we take down our review so that other people do not order this product.

While we did not experience any issues when we tested this product, it is clear from the comments below, that we cannot recommend this product to our readers.
And from Reddit:
I've purchased both. Here are some thoughts:
  • The CarLinKit adapter comes in multiple versions depending on which car you intend to use it in, whereas the CPlay2Air adapter claims to be universal.
  • The CPlay2Air has a built in 6" USB pigtail, the CarLinKit unit uses a detachable USB cable. It comes with a 6" USB-A to mini USB-B.
  • Upgrading the software on the CarLinKit adapter was completely painless after following the directions in the manual. I haven't tried to update the software in the CPlay2Air yet, but it's likely similar.
  • The "connection" screen that gets initially displayed on the radio using the CPlay2Air when connecting your phone seems needlessly complex. There was no connection screen on the CarLinKit that I can remember.
  • The CarLinKit adapter is available from Amazon. As far as I can tell the only place to purchase the CPlay2Air is through their website.
FWIW, neither of these worked correctly with my head unit (a Porsche Classic PCCM+ radio). They both connected perfectly but then exhibited the *exact* same problem (no touchscreen functionality). The CarLinkKit adapter was painless to return (for Amazon credit), I've been waiting 5 days to hear from CPlay2Air about how to return theirs.
Might be safer to go with the Amazon competitor considering the above, at least you know you have free shipping and free returns, its slightly cheaper, and seems it may be slightly better.

There's also a new mini-version which reviewer says is identical, just smaller, and it worked fine but did crash on him after a few hours, and its the same price. Thinking the bigger carlinkit 3.0 one has better cooling and is what I'd go with:

Also, because the amazon car2link USB cable is not permanently attached to the device, you can use your own USB cable, perhaps one with a 90o flush fit.

Last edited:

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

48F2FCD1-53D9-4BE0-BF71-EB3A6BB1702A.jpeg
This only works with Apple, not Android, right?

ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This only works with Apple, not Android, right?
Android has their own variations. I picked up a Indiegogo project last year called AAWireless. The chip shortage has really made their project hard and not sure if they're still selling them, but the developer is pretty well known on XDA forums. Overall, I've been pretty happy with mine.

Can someone test if Carplay or Android Auto work if you plug the phone into the rear USB ports? For something like a wireless dongle, that'd be pretty sweet to hide the puck back there rather than the center console.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Android has their own variations. I picked up a Indiegogo project last year called AAWireless. The chip shortage has really made their project hard and not sure if they're still selling them, but the developer is pretty well known on XDA forums. Overall, I've been pretty happy with mine.

Can someone test if Carplay or Android Auto work if you plug the phone into the rear USB ports? For something like a wireless dongle, that'd be pretty sweet to hide the puck back there rather than the center console.
Their Indiegogo site says next round of shipping is January 2022. :(

I did see someone selling a used unit for over $200. Eek.
Sponsored