Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Costco just matches the lowest within 3 miles by me. Not great prices, but good fresh gas.
Sponsored

GSTRIDR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trail
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As it happens, I have built a Costco fuel station and wanted to share some knowledge. I buy fuel from Costco as often as possible, not for the savings, but because I know it’s the highest quality fuel I can get. There are three things that set them apart:
1. They add detergent on site via an automated dosing system so they can guarantee it’s in there. The industry relys on the truck drivers to select the fuel additives at the time the truck is loaded at the terminal. This eliminates the possibility for human error.
2. They sell so much fuel that it never has the opportunity to go “stale”. Old fuel can be a problem, and low volume fuel facilities can have fuel sitting in tanks for long periods of time.
3. Their facility standards are very high. The design of their system is the absolute Cadillac of fuel filling. They use double-walled fiberglass tanks with died fluid in the interstitial space, as well as floats to ensure no leakage. The ethanol in fuel causes it to absorb water if there’s a leak, so they make sure their tanks are always leak-free.
4. (Bonus) Even when not required by state law, their nozzles capture the fumes. The air coming out of your tank, displaced by the fuel, is sent back to the in-ground tanks, making a 1:1 swap. This greatly reduces emissions at the station, and makes the experience a little nicer.

whew! Been keeping that one for a while, lol.

wayne2970

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback XT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say that unless you use Costco as a food place as well as for gas then you probably will save $$. You have to consider the Annual Fee you pay to warrant just using it for gas.

I have a Sam's Club membership and use it for both buying food/supplies and gas. Sam's Club membership is lower too than Costco by $15 last I checked.
Ive always heard that Sams/Walmart fuel is average at best. While Costco fuel is "TopTier"https://www.toptiergas.com/. From my reading the Top Tier Fuel is added value.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As it happens, I have built a Costco fuel station and wanted to share some knowledge. I buy fuel from Costco as often as possible, not for the savings, but because I know it’s the highest quality fuel I can get. There are three things that set them apart:
1. They add detergent on site via an automated dosing system so they can guarantee it’s in there. The industry relys on the truck drivers to select the fuel additives at the time the truck is loaded at the terminal. This eliminates the possibility for human error.
2. They sell so much fuel that it never has the opportunity to go “stale”. Old fuel can be a problem, and low volume fuel facilities can have fuel sitting in tanks for long periods of time.
3. Their facility standards are very high. The design of their system is the absolute Cadillac of fuel filling. They use double-walled fiberglass tanks with died fluid in the interstitial space, as well as floats to ensure no leakage. The ethanol in fuel causes it to absorb water if there’s a leak, so they make sure their tanks are always leak-free.
4. (Bonus) Even when not required by state law, their nozzles capture the fumes. The air coming out of your tank, displaced by the fuel, is sent back to the in-ground tanks, making a 1:1 swap. This greatly reduces emissions at the station, and makes the experience a little nicer.

Heard similar things from other sources. Combine that with generally decent savings and visiting when there's minimal wait, and it's a no-brainer for me.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive always heard that Sams/Walmart fuel is average at best. While Costco fuel is "TopTier"https://www.toptiergas.com/. From my reading the Top Tier Fuel is added value.

Yep Top Tier for less than non Top Tier stations. So why not get better quality.

I buy premium gas and Costco is way cheaper than other Top Tier stations. Usually 50 to 70 cents cheaper per gallon when I check gas buddy. It's also cheaper than the non top tier stations, although less so.

Plus with the Costco credit card you get an additional 4% back. 3 dollar gas gets 12 cents off per gallon.

My membership is paid for by my gas savings and then add the other shopping on top of it.

Sponsored

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I normally stop at Costco when I am near there to save about 15 cents per gallon. However I had a friend who filled up there a couple years ago. The tanker guy unfortunately filled up one of the station tanks with Leaded gas! It took my friend a long time to recoup $1,500 dollar repair from the insurance from Costco. This I am sure was an isolated incidence.
Kind of a moot issue it actually happened:
  1. It was a delivery driver issue. Not a Costco issue
  2. Leaded gasoline haven't been used in the US for years.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got lucky at my last Costco fill up at 2.44 with other stations at 2.89. It's usually been a .30 per gallon difference. It helps that my local store has been open for a year, never has waiting time and the employees are knowledgeable and friendly.

This Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Costco pump handle is not good for filling up gas cans.
First time it took me a minute to figure out that you have to pull up on the rubber shield thingy to get the gas going, and keep it pulled up, but it's not easy and very slow to fill.
I just fill up the gas cans at Sheets since then.

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah. I definitely wouldn't get the membership for the gas. I basically have a membership for the cheese (and Virginia peanuts 😍). Everything else is gravy.
Costco membership is worth joining, just for the rotisserie chickens!

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Costco pump handle is not good for filling up gas cans.
First time it took me a minute to figure out that you have to pull up on the rubber shield thingy to get the gas going, and keep it pulled up, but it's not easy and very slow to fill.
I just fill up the gas cans at Sheets since then.
That rubber shield thingy is a vapor recovery system. Been required in CA at least since probably 1980s. They are also made for auto shutoff to avoid spills, and to keep you from "topping off" your tank. Many other states have had them too for decades. Pulling it up with 2 fingers has never been a problem for me. You might investigate other types of gas cans that are more compatible with modern gas nozzles?

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For those who are Costco members & buy gas there, what are you finding as the average savings per gallon compared to your local stations? (interested in all grades of gas)

They just opened a new Costco close to me, and I'm considering a membership just to access their gas pumps, as I've heard they are consistently cheaper than regular gas stations. Just wondering if others have found this beneficial?
I filled up at the Costco yesterday in Plainfield Illinois for $2.69. The cheapo gas stations nearby were $3.10

This Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That rubber shield thingy is a vapor recovery system. Been required in CA at least since probably 1980s. They are also made for auto shutoff to avoid spills, and to keep you from "topping off" your tank. Many other states have had them too for decades. Pulling it up with 2 fingers has never been a problem for me. You might investigate other types of gas cans that are more compatible with modern gas nozzles?
Yes, I know what it is for, I used to pump gas as a teen.
The shield at Costco pumps is actually different from other gas station pumps, and even with the boot pulled up it constantly clicks off.
And new gas cans are worse since they have inserts that prevent the nozzle insertion.
Maybe they're different in California...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I know what it is for, I used to pump gas as a teen.
The shield at Costco pumps is actually different from other gas station pumps, and even with the boot pulled up it constantly clicks off.
And new gas cans are worse since they have inserts that prevent the nozzle insertion.
Maybe they're different in California...
when I lived in CA and regularly bought COSTCO gas for dirt biking, desert trips, etc. we used wide mouth "dump cans" and either pulled up the shield or pushed down firmly on 1 side of the mouth of the can to push up shield enough to flow. If it constantly clicks off the shield isn't pushed up enough and thinks it detects a full tank. You can still find old style non-emissions compliant cans on the internet.

Farmer1972

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Aspire
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For those who are Costco members & buy gas there, what are you finding as the average savings per gallon compared to your local stations? (interested in all grades of gas)

They just opened a new Costco close to me, and I'm considering a membership just to access their gas pumps, as I've heard they are consistently cheaper than regular gas stations. Just wondering if others have found this beneficial?
$ .5-.10 cheaper in Va I use it all the time. Also get good gas mileage with it and also the cash back will pay for your membership fee after the first year if you use enough gas. We do shop a little at Costco but mainly gas. Ave about $300+ back at end of year
Sponsored