First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Atlas Blue Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me, my old car did MUCH better on Premium/93 so Costco was great. Decent gas quality, but the same price as local regular.

I still use Costco for gas, but the extra mileage I'm getting now means it's easier to plan a gas run around a grocery run. And I can go in the middle of the day during the middle of the week and skip the line. But also, depending on the location, the lines can be less bad in general.

I have not experienced any bad gas in my area. I wonder what happened in the distribution in Atlanta that caused that spurt of bad gas.
Sponsored

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For years I've used nothing but Costco gas in my automobiles. The additives are excellent and it's usually 10 to 15 cents less per gallon than any other brand.

I'm 3 hours from Atlanta and there have been no problems reported here.

There's usually a line to buy gas at our Costco which is a good thing as with high turnover you are assured of fresh gas.

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe it is the same in context, but...

Gas is gas, it's the additives that differentiating factor between different gas stations....
Lol, gas is gas yes correct, you'll never get gas without the fillers & addictive....Most commonly used term "gas" is what goes in your car is what counts. If the car react bad to it like mine did, simply don't use it again. I help with a family owned gas station and wouldn't dare match the super low price of costco or sams, or else we'd sale at a lose, easily over 200k per year. Addictive & fillers is what makes money, just like those in the meats. Everything react different them.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ridiculous click bait. People need to stop believing and spreading stupid internet bullshit.
Possible one Costco gas station has a contaminated fuel tank, yes, Costco in general, no.

As everyone knows gas is gas until it's in the tanker truck then it becomes a brand.
Actually gas is a blend and different retailers formulate it differently prior to going into the tanker. The previous comment about "Top Tier" refiners is an industry trade group that requires certain formulations to certify the gas meets a certain formula requirement. You're correct in that it is probably a single outlet but there have been times that a distributer has had issues. I worked in the oil and gas industry that supplied equipment for up stream, mid stream and down stream production.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have a link for the local news?

Costco sells TOP TIER gas, purchases its supply in bulk. The company does not produce its own gas, nor does it develop its own additive package. As such, the bulk purchase could be from ARCO, Mobil, Shell, etc.

As a side note.... Cost is not a franchise, all of the warehouses are owned and operated by Costco HQ....
You're correct but you might be surprised at the number of refineries that are basically regional. I worked in oil and gas and always marvel at how much the public doesn't know: like a couple years ago when the government was saying the high price was due to greedy oil companies (funny because the government was making 8-12 times as much tax money on a gallon of gas as the gas companies made profit). No doubt there were record profits for the gas companies but look at the 4 preceding years where there were losses. It's always been a boom bust industry.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually gas is a blend and different retailers formulate it differently prior to going into the tanker. The previous comment about "Top Tier" refiners is an industry trade group that requires certain formulations to certify the gas meets a certain formula requirement. You're correct in that it is probably a single outlet but there have been times that a distributer has had issues. I worked in the oil and gas industry that supplied equipment for up stream, mid stream and down stream production.
all that is well known.
google costco bad gas and you'll see this recurring tale running back at least 20yrs.
Sponsored