First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If we are periodically going to let our hybrid mav sit over two weeks or longer could we not hook our maintainer either full time or on a timer to a jump start on supply mode or other battery to extend the time the 12v in mav would stay over 12.? Volts?
I've seen a number of threads where people are concerned that the 12v battery will die. I don't have my Maverick yet so just wondering if this is a real concern or just being exceptionally proactive?

I live in a reasonably cold climate and have always left my 'summer car' outside all winter. In 20 years of doing that I think I had to jump a car once in the spring. All other times it sat out in the cold for at least 3 months with no issues. What makes the Maverick different from all the other vehicles I have had? Just starting to get concerned this is going to be a problem.
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ya, I saw that slash through the clamp mark. And you are correct about clamping the negative to a ground anywhere other than the battery terminal. Odd, though, that they labeled a + mark on each cover. Thanks for the response.
Both are POSITIVE that's why they are marked + ONLY HOOK POSITIVE CLAMP TO THE RED ONE. The negative connects to a bare body pin nearby about a foot to the right and closer to the windshield. Do NOT anything to the NEGATIVE 12V BATTERY POST! EVER ON ANY VEHICLE!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen a number of threads where people are concerned that the 12v battery will die. I don't have my Maverick yet so just wondering if this is a real concern or just being exceptionally proactive?

I live in a reasonably cold climate and have always left my 'summer car' outside all winter. In 20 years of doing that I think I had to jump a car once in the spring. All other times it sat out in the cold for at least 3 months with no issues. What makes the Maverick different from all the other vehicles I have had? Just starting to get concerned this is going to be a problem.
It is different! The manual recommends that the hybrid is turned on in the ready state and the drive selector be place in different drive modes for 15 or 30 minutes (I don't remember which) to recharge battery every 3 weeks at a minimum the 12v battery is used to power sensors and computer while it's sitting around. There is a procedure to place your maverick into storage if your are not going to start it for 30 days. One of the items is to disconnect the negative 12v cable. That is why we are considering placing a maintenance charger on 12volt. For all winter parking I recommend removing battery to non freezing environment and place on maintenance charger just like mowers and 4wheelers motorcycles, etc. Ford probably needs to update software or something. I live in central Texas an don't winterize anything but do start everything at least monthly, two mowers, Polaris ranger, tractor. I also have a noco genius charger that I weekly move from one to the next in line. Ranger has an AGM battery so it cannot sit and loose charge. Others are regular flooded battery so can sit all winter but I have 9 years on one and have no problem with it.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The manual recommends that the hybrid is turned on in the ready state and the drive selector be place in different drive modes for 15 or 30 minutes (I don't remember which) to recharge battery every 3 weeks at a minimum the 12v battery is used to power sensors and computer while it's sitting around.
Wow, I didn't know that. Guess I will have to look into that. The Maverick will be my daily driver so I doubt it will ever sit long but still, that's crazy different. What were they thinking?????????

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, I didn't know that. Guess I will have to look into that. The Maverick will be my daily driver so I doubt it will ever sit long but still, that's crazy different. What were they thinking?????????
The wife's lariat almost totally loaded if someone touches or jacks it up the sensors will notify Ford pass app to let you know. I saw today that cars have 1k to 3k chips in them!!!! The computer knows when your trailer is plugged in and tests the circuits to adjust current to running and brake lights and change God knows what. The computer knows how much power it takes to move truck with and without your trailer so it can calculate the weight of the trailer and since it's connected to Ford it could (but does it?) Send "vin# is pulling 6,222 lbs" to warranty department!🚫💩

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The computer knows how much power it takes to move truck with and without your trailer so it can calculate the weight of the trailer and since it's connected to Ford it could (but does it?) Send "vin# is pulling 6,222 lbs" to warranty department!🚫💩
You mean like this? Hahahaha!

HRG

Ford Maverick Confusion: 12v Battery Connections Under the Hybrid Hood 545B0738-5797-454E-8DE6-8E64D4B1D825-3

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You mean like this? Hahahaha!

HRG

545B0738-5797-454E-8DE6-8E64D4B1D825-3.jpeg
👌=How many seconds more does it take at what % power to get to say 40mph than your truck by itself. I am not saying it won't do it in spades but good possibility they know it was done. Also tilt sensors can be used to calc approximate load including tongue weight at average for that vin # configuration.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
👌=How many seconds more does it take at what % power to get to say 40mph than your truck by itself. I am not saying it won't do it in spades but good possibility they know it was done. Also tilt sensors can be used to calc approximate load including tongue weight at average for that vin # configuration.
That's not my truck & trailer, it was from the weight distributing hitch thread a few days ago. My Alto Blue 4K Mav has not been built yet.

HRG

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I doubt this a Ford or Maverick specific thing. All modern cars are so packed with tech, sensors and connectivity hardware (generally a good thing in my opinion), that they'll apparently use a decent amount of battery power even just sitting there. Eventually, the battery will run down and you have to recharge it if you're not driving regularly.

Not a big deal, as I suspect the vast majority of owners aren't letting their cars sit unused for weeks at a time. Those that do can just buy a cheap battery maintainer.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All modern cars are so packed with tech, sensors and connectivity hardware (generally a good thing in my opinion), that they'll apparently use a decent amount of battery power even just sitting there. Eventually, the battery will run down and you have to recharge it if you're not driving regularly.
Yeah you are likely correct. Just this is my first new vehicle in a good while so have not run into that before. Seems to me though that if they have all these electronic gizmos using power they would at least use a full size battery instead of the little one in the Maverick.

I thought it was neat that Teslas were always monitoring and would video anyone messing with them, but I didn't think it through that that means the car is 'live' and using power all the time. Same with the Maverick I guess if it has anti-tamper sensors.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both are POSITIVE that's why they are marked + ONLY HOOK POSITIVE CLAMP TO THE RED ONE. The negative connects to a bare body pin nearby about a foot to the right and closer to the windshield. Do NOT anything to the NEGATIVE 12V BATTERY POST! EVER ON ANY VEHICLE!
Great advice here! You are absolutely correct. Thank you for clarifying the unique labeling on the Maverick's 12v access points in the engine bay and reminding some and educating others about using the chassis for ground rather than the neg post on a terminal. This how MTC rolls.

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

One of the concerns with the hybrid Maverick's 12v battery is that it quickly drops to a low voltage that signals the battery management system to shut down (deep sleep mode) all but what is needed to start the vehicle and if perhaps left too long, as with any vehicle, even that would fail. For instance, it's dark, I unlock and open my door and the courtesy lights do not come on because the Maverick is in deep sleep. I have elderly relatives who have some difficulty navigating the unfamiliar and it would be nice if they could see inside the vehicle.
So, I want to hook up a battery maintainer to avoid deep sleep and I wanted to attach it to the terminals under the hood rather than lifting the rear seat to get to the actual battery.
Kind of long-winded. Apologies, but I hope this helps.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the concerns with the hybrid Maverick's 12v battery is that it quickly drops to a low voltage that signals the battery management system to shut down (deep sleep mode) all but what is needed to start the vehicle and if perhaps left too long, as with any vehicle, even that would fail.
Yes, I've seen that and understand the concern. It is becoming a concern for me as well, just something I never thought would be a problem.

I am wondering if this is a real world issue or just something that happens when something else is wrong. For example many (most?) of the complaints I have seen about the deep sleep issue seem to eventually lead to being caused by a failure of the HV battery harness and thus the 12v battery not getting charged.

So my question is: if there is no problem with the HV battery harness is there then no problem with the 12v battery system going into deep sleep in a reasonable time? For me 'reasonable' would be letting the truck sit untouched a minimum of 4 weeks. I think a vehicle that goes dead after sitting only a month is a complete travesty.

Yes we can add battery maintainers, but why should we have to?

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think you'll have much of a problem starting up your hybrid. You can also reset the battery management system by turning on accessory mode (if you have push button start, push it with your foot OFF the brake), then flash your brights 5 times, then apply the brake pedal 3 times.
Many good battery maintainers out there. Most experts advise AGAINST the trickle chargers and instead recommend the smaller and more intelligent maintainers. I liked the Black & Decker and the NOCOs. Here's a link to a YouTube comparison.

OP
OP
Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, I've seen that and understand the concern. It is becoming a concern for me as well, just something I never thought would be a problem.

I am wondering if this is a real world issue or just something that happens when something else is wrong. For example many (most?) of the complaints I have seen about the deep sleep issue seem to eventually lead to being caused by a failure of the HV battery harness and thus the 12v battery not getting charged.

So my question is: if there is no problem with the HV battery harness is there then no problem with the 12v battery system going into deep sleep in a reasonable time? For me 'reasonable' would be letting the truck sit untouched a minimum of 4 weeks. I think a vehicle that goes dead after sitting only a month is a complete travesty.

Yes we can add battery maintainers, but why should we have to?
You're right. The harness is a big problem, but that is most likely corrected in the newer builds. Not so much as a battery drainer as just not having a good enough connection to power up the HV battery to start the engine or even unlock your doors. But, like I said, Ford corrected this in later builds and if you happen to get one with a defective harness, the dealer will fix.
I believe the deep sleep issue (as long as the harness is good) can be fixed with a software update and I understand Ford is supposed to be addressing that. Perhaps someone can either correct me or verify for me on that point.
I've added several possible battery draining mods to my truck; auto dimming rear view mirror and a dash cam, but I think the real problem is the BMS needs to updated to solve this problem. In the meantime, I think a battery tender is a good idea for any vehicle that might sit for longer than a couple weeks.
Sponsored