Not open for further replies.

rustru

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470
I have noticed this thin paint since the beginning with my Cactus Grey Mav. Super thin and I am concerned for future. I also just noticed a bare area by the rear window/bed connection. Both sides filled with some sort of glue. I know we all love the economy of the Mav butI believe this is an issue they will need to address in the future.
Couldn't agree with you more and truthfully, as excited as I have been to get my Mav, it has me 2nd guessing my decision.
Sponsored

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ceramic isnt going to help with chips - if someone claims that they are selling snake oil. The only real protection against chips is Paint Protective Coating. With the move to environmentally friendly paint manufacturing this is the result. I also think the automatic car washes are contributing to chips and scratches.
I figured it would at least make the clear coat thick enough to have more protection than standard paint?

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I figured it would at least make the clear coat thick enough to have more protection than standard paint?
That magic ceramic stuff everyone loves only applies a film thickness measured in microns. Something causing a chip tears the paint away down to the metal. Ceramic won't do squat to prevent that.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ceramic coating is 1 to 2 microns thick. A human hair is 70 microns thick. No - while ceramic can protect from UV and is more durable than wax that is really all it does. Nice shine but no impact protection.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All new cars have terrible paint. My 2009 Scion xD was terrible. I actually had the whole front end reshot and it looked better than factory. My 2016 Renegade was horrendous. It got wrapped.

Sponsored

rustru

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470
Ceramic coating is 1 to 2 microns thick. A human hair is 70 microns thick. No - while ceramic can protect from UV and is more durable than wax that is really all it does. Nice shine but no impact protection.
Thanks for the info everyone. Guess I will be doing the film.

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree partially, but respectfully disagree to "it is what it is". There is clearly an issue with the paint on the Mavs and it is especially aggravating when you are paying for a paint upcharge. I don't think most buying a Mav expects perfection but multiple people have documented significant chips, with just a few hundred miles on the odometer. I have a few chips that substantial on my hood......but my GX is 18-years old! I would hate to see what these will look like in two decades of wear. I totally understand the cost saving measures and I totally understand the tough guy reply of, "this is a truck"...but personally I think this is unacceptable.
You're paint "upcharge" is for the color. Fancier colors require different ingredients to create that vivid metallic look, the flip flop in the sun, etc etc, and you are paying for those ingredients. The actual painting process is no different, primer-base color-clears.

The occurrence of a chip in any given mileage is incidental. You may never get a chip. You may get one pulling off the dealer lot.

"This car gets chips/never got a chip" relies on so many factors that you cannot use in comparison. The location on the body the object hits. The angle of that panel in relation to the striking object. The striking object itself. Speed of the strike. Temperature at the time of strike. Etc ad infinitum.

As I said, it is what it is. No defects, no conspiracies.

rustru

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470
Thanks for the info. I am aware the upcharge is for the color, just makes it a little more aggravating. I have certainly never eluded to any conspiracies, only the fact that there is an issue with soft/thin paint. Suppose time will tell.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I washed my Mav last week and getting the sap and pollen off it was unreasonably difficult. Ceramic coating for me.

My wife's Honda with a factory finish sat right beside it and all it took was a rinse.

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the info. I am aware the upcharge is for the color, just makes it a little more aggravating. I have certainly never eluded to any conspiracies, only the fact that there is an issue with soft/thin paint. Suppose time will tell.
I have painted my own cars for 30 years, two are in the showcase. I have sprayed lacquer, epoxy, enamel, and the new water based paint. While there are some durability differences, in the grand scheme, if the factors that can happen come up snake eyes then you're gonna get a chip.
The "softness" of a paint would have to be measured with special tools. They can not be detected by a human picking at the paint with a fingernail or visually. Some, like epoxy, are very hard. Enamels are a little softer. But BOTH will chip. They way they chip my differ but they WILL chip.
Thickness/thinness is not the answer. Manufacturers have figured out how to apply a better paint job using the least amount of material. Applying more will not make it better and will only raise the cost. But be it a thin modern paintjob on the cheapest car or a very expensive multiple layered paint job on the most expensive car if the dice land the right way it WILL chip.

I know it's aggravating for a new car to get a paint chip but again, it is what it is.

Sponsored

rustru

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470
I washed my Mav last week and getting the sap and pollen off it was unreasonably difficult. Ceramic coating for me.

My wife's Honda with a factory finish sat right beside it and all it took was a rinse.
What would you attribute this to? Minimal clear coat?

MightyMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is why I avoid driving on the highway at all costs. I realize this could've happened anywhere but most paint chips are contributed to driving on the highway. All of that vehicle and road debris hitting the front of the car at 70 mph+. Not only that, since I live in Florida, we are the love bug capital and as I write this, we are in peak love bug season. So I can kiss driving on the highway goodbye even more because I don't feel like scraping off bug guts all over the front fascia. And considering the paint is so thin, I never take my Maverick to automated car washes or "auto spas". I don't want those nasty brissel brushes touching and smacking the paint. I always hand-wash mine at home with the two-bucket method to avoid swirl marks and chips.

RBElectrical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
I got a quote for full front (bumpers/hood/fenders/mirrors) @ $1200 for the Maverick. First vehicle I put it on was my Wifes 2018 Durango when it was new. It has 80K miles now and looks great still. The film is self healing so you never get scratches either. A couple tiny nicks in the film, but doesn't look like any went through to the paint. I would skip the Ceramic coating. Find a good installer in your area and you won't even see the film. Even with the aggressive bumpers of the Durango and my Trackhawk they only made 2 little slits and you can't see them unless you are looking for them. I've done full front on 6 of my vehicles now and just consider it part of the vehicle cost at this point.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.