Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Option:
Someone posted in another thread that he was going to attempt to cut a hole in the plate and install a hinge to give him a door to open to do future oil changes with out removing the entire plate.

Update: #10 posted while I was typing.
I would never change my oil without changing the filter and because my 2023 Maverick is on its way, I don't have it to suggest a proper size -- I'll leave that up to the guys that already have their truck. Search Amazon for "Marine or Boat hatch" and remember you would be installing it upside down.

Square or Rectangle:
1. if you select a square or rectangle hatch, make sure you install it with the hinge forward so if it unlatches, you will drag it. Ether, you'll hear it, or somebody will tell you they see something under your truck.
2. I would recommend selecting one with two(2) latches because again, it will be installed upside down.

Round:
This same subject came up months ago and I suggested this one or similar:

Ford Maverick Changing Oil Filter and Oil without Removing Skidplate 510Qqe2zXYL._AC_SX569_

Amazon.com : Marinebaby Boat Deck Hatch, with Detachable Hatch Cover,6 inch White Boat Access Hatch Cover : Sports & Outdoors

If you feel uncomfortable about it coming lose, they do make a caulking that is removable. You'll just have to redo the caulking every time you change the oil.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mavmav

mavmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Boat hatch
Ideal solution for me. i just need to figure out size. 5-6 inches should be ok for a hand with oil filter. thank you @Watchman ! do you have any pictures by any chance ?

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I changed my own oil in my driveway a couple months ago. Just drove it up on a couple 2x4s to give myself a bit more room. It was a little tight under there, but removing the shielding was not a big deal at all. Added like 5 minutes to the whole process.

I wouldn't go cutting holes in that cover to save 5 minutes on something that I'll do once a year. A) it could mess with aerodynamics and B) it'll definitely let more water, dirt, and debris spray up into the engine compartment.

This is like removing the fuel door because you don't want to take the time to press the open button every time you fill up

Watchman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ideal solution for me. i just need to figure out size. 5-6 inches should be ok for a hand with oil filter. thank you @Watchman ! do you have any pictures by any chance ?
You're welcome. I've had boats most of my life and those hatches have hundreds of uses. They are waterproof and couldn't possibly alter MPG. Would't be surprised if a MTC member posts a hatch used elsewhere on a Maverick. I have a few ideas of my own. like I said, I am waiting for my Maverick to arrive at my dealer, around January 3rd, so no pictures.

Last edited:

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Changing the oil yourself is to me not worth my time and effort. Then you have the problem of what to do with the old oil. Much easier to just have it done.
When I'm done changing my oil, I just drain the old oil from my catch pan into the recently emptied oil jug and take it to the auto parts store and they recycle it.

Sponsored

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I changed my own oil in my driveway a couple months ago. Just drove it up on a couple 2x4s to give myself a bit more room. It was a little tight under there, but removing the shielding was not a big deal at all. Added like 5 minutes to the whole process.

I wouldn't go cutting holes in that cover to save 5 minutes on something that I'll do once a year. A) it could mess with aerodynamics and B) it'll definitely let more water, dirt, and debris spray up into the engine compartment.

This is like removing the fuel door because you don't want to take the time to press the open button every time you fill up
You do realize fords fire prevention recall "fix" is to cut holes in that very shield?

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You do realize fords fire prevention recall "fix" is to cut holes in that very shield?
I know and it annoys the crap out of me (and I haven't taken it in for that recall yet). I don't want to go cutting any MORE holes

Last edited:

Maverick2112

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 xl hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My hybrid already has a sizeable hole, along with a bunch of other holes. I confirmed with other owners here that they had the same. It is not in the right position, however, to be useful for oil changes.
Ford Maverick Changing Oil Filter and Oil without Removing Skidplate IMG-5712

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This response is equal to take UBER - don't drive a car :) of course I can do this. the question is" does anyone have solution for changing an oil filter without removing skid plate ?
No its nothing like that lol take uber is the response to someone who asks: How can i get places without driving a car? Lol your question is: how can i change my oil without having to lay on my back and get dirty?… the answer?… pay someone to do it lol anyways. Hope you find the answer youre looking for

Taxman100

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How often does the oil need to be changed on the hybrid engine?

I have done my own oil changes for decades, but I'm not hassling with removing a "skid plate" (or whatever they are calling it) every time, or butchering it so it becomes what it was supposed to be in the first place. I guess I could just take it off and leave it off.

I'm at the age where I'm looking to simplify my life, not make it more complicated.

Sponsored

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know when I'll get my 23 EB FX4, but at this point my plan is to remove the skid plate(skid cardboard?) at the first oil change and then just leave it off.
I won't be doing any off-roading and I don't want anything inhibiting moisture evaporation on the underbody here in the snow and salt zone of North-East Wisconsin.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know when I'll get my 23 EB FX4, but at this point my plan is to remove the skid plate(skid cardboard?) at the first oil change and then just leave it off.
I won't be doing any off-roading and I don't want anything inhibiting moisture evaporation on the underbody here in the snow and salt zone of North-East Wisconsin.
Doesn't want to do any off-roading. Orders FX4. j/k :) You could likely sell the skid plates and recoup some of the cost of the package.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There is an aftermarket skid plate for the Bronco Sport that has access panels to do oil changes. I don't know if they make one for the Maverick but they may.

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think this what i will do most likely - cut hole about 5" so i can put my hand to screw it in oil filter. to unscrew it i can use a wrench with long extension. no physical disability - perhaps some mental :) I just dont want to get dirty. i change oil on annual basis in fall for all equipment, bobcat, excavator, lawn etc. it is easy access for big equipment. it is different for ford where i have to unscrew 15 screws to access oil filter. Just not well designed routine maintenance access port for oil filter. i do change oil every 4-5 k. it is dirty job.
No i don't want to give my car to random kid to change an oil - i had bad experience. I lost skidplate on highway from cayene by letting porsch dealer to change my oil because some "kid" overtighten skid plate. it cost me $400 for new skidplate plus $140 dealers oil change. I am type of person that will avoid doctors and dealers if possible DIY.
Considering I have missing parts on multiple cars where I had no choice but to use a dealer for service, I completely understand where you come from. It sucks when you have to go behind a mechanic to make sure they did the job right, and hold them accountable right away, otherwise they can easily deny fault. Anyway, I'd recommend a circular cut with a circle saw, and sand down the rough edges with sandpaper; otherwise, you might harm the whole gain from the plate or cause bigger things to possibly get caught inside (pieces of tire from the interstate, know from experience from that damn part missing on my CX-5).

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is an aftermarket skid plate for the Bronco Sport that has access panels to do oil changes. I don't know if they make one for the Maverick but they may.
I'm kind of patiently waiting for people in the forums to adopt parts bins from other similar vehicles before I start buying parts from newer models of cars. I wish I had friends that had a Bronco Sport or an Escape to test parts swapping.
Sponsored