First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang 5.0 6 spd.,mx-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's probable true but people always prefer the look and feel of familiar technologies. That same survey in 20 years probably wont even include stick or column shifters. I'm waiting for the day gear shifters will be on the touch screen.

I much prefer the look and feel of a traditional 6 speed manual with a clutch. Its more fun and I feel more in control of the engine. But that's old tech. Its not as efficient or reliable (or cheap) as modern transmissions so they are probable gone for good.
Feel the same way about 6 speed manual. I feel I always need to have car with manual trans., for the fun & control of driving. Have mustang gt.(seasonal though). Had fun driving the 3 kia,s with manual transmission and fwd , and have great control with the manual & fwd, kind wish the maverick had a manual trans...still waiting on the orange eco boost fwd. Hopefully hear something soon
Sponsored

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You could replace it with a touch screen because it is probably a electric switch. I think it is a electric switch with no manual linkage.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Shift by wire, no mechanical linkages or cables.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ya know how with our shift by wire rotary dial shifters, if you have it in Neutral and open the driver's door it automatically goes to Park?

Well check THIS shit out.
New F-150

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been driving since I was 16, and am now 63. I've had manual shifters on the floor and on the column. I've had automatic shifters on the floor, column, and dashboard. I find it very amusing how people nit pic simple little things on these chat boards. People need to appreciate the things that are presented to them, instead of beotch about them. The only Army saying, "Adapt and overcome". get used to it. Things aren't as bad as they seem. I've been driving with the rotary shifter since 27 January, and have become used to it.

Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I prefer a shift lever. Learned on a manual, I find I drive hand on wheel, hand on shift lever. When I'm in a vehicle without it I get used to it. But that's my default.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've been driving since I was 16, and am now 63. I've had manual shifters on the floor and on the column. I've had automatic shifters on the floor, column, and dashboard. I find it very amusing how people nit pic simple little things on these chat boards. People need to appreciate the things that are presented to them, instead of beotch about them. The only Army saying, "Adapt and overcome". get used to it. Things aren't as bad as they seem. I've been driving with the rotary shifter since 27 January, and have become used to it.
I'm right there with you! (Of course, I was an Army pilot, so maybe that's the common thread...)

It's the same way in the aviation community. For the first 50 years or so, ALL airplanes had brakes that were operated with your heels (your toes are resting on the rudder pedals). Then someone invented toe-operated brakes, where the brake pedals are integrated with the rudder pedals. OMG, if you read the early reviews, those newfangled contraptions were going to kill everyone who flew with them...

Twenty years later (with zero uptick in accidents caused by the toe brakes), the "common wisdom" is spouting the opposite: "Those heel brakes are dangerous and should be outlawed! You have to take your foot off the rudder to use them! That's just stupid." (Spoiler alert - no, you don't, and they still work just as well as they did 50 years ago.)

I flew a tailwheel plane with heel brakes, and before the first flight, I was quite nervous about those brakes. After taxiing up and down the taxiway for 10 minutes, I realized they were fine, and that I had already adapted to using them without even noticing.

Adapt and overcome!

PS - all those folks with Mavericks gritching about the rotary shifter dial really tick off those of us who are still waiting for ours... :cautious:

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It took a while to get used to it. Now I don't even have to look down to change the gears. I love it.
Agree. To be fair, I can adapt to anything pretty easily and there is a little bit of muscle memory issue when I hop in one of the other vehicles we have which are both traditional lower-console shift handles.

But in my Maverick, I just spin left to park, right to drive. I only think about the clicks when I need to select reverse. It works pretty well and I'm glad to not have a tall shifter blocking access to the wireless charging pad and cubby area under the hvac controls.

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Now your dog will step on the mode, traction control, auto start/stop and brake hold buttons every time they cross the console... LOL!
Not my dogs, as they are imprisoned in the back seat via a $40 "net/screen barrier". I don't care so long as the dial works all the time. But since my Mav is just a wet dream ; maybe I should keep my counsel. As they say "there is nothing more worthless as advise given when none is sought".

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing like making your newish Bronco Sport look like something out of Sanford n Son's yard. Highly doubt this will look anything close to decent when this person is finished unfortunately.
Sometimes you focus all of your attention on whether you can do something, and not nearly enough on whether you should. This is an example of that.

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3 on the tree is best.
Sponsored