Anyone installing a catch can?

Barefootdan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
I had a brz I occasionally tracked and the catch can definitely helped. I could fill a can after a weekend event depending on the track. Daily driving definitely brought less blow by, but I would check on it a every now and then. I’ll get one for the Maverick if someone comes out with a nice kit. But I won’t go through the trouble of fabricating my own.
Sponsored

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m planning on it as soon as there’s a good aftermarket option.
What about a turbo timer? I was planning on that too. Is that still a thing? Used to be back in my fast and furious days 🤣🤣
Turbo timers are a thing of the past IMO when turbos were only oil cooled and lubricated. Almost everything out there is oil and coolant fed.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just curious, what convinced you to put them on your Mustangs?
I have used a recirculated catch can when I was NA and caught a lot of oil, not all but a lot. my intake manifolds would have oil all through them.
I now have twin turbos and vented catch cans from each bank. Zero oil in the intake manifold.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have used a recirculated catch can when I was NA and caught a lot of oil, not all but a lot. my intake manifolds would have oil all through them.
I now have twin turbos and vented catch cans from each bank. Zero oil in the intake manifold.
Is you mustang twin turbo?

Sponsored

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know if the PCV fitting in the valve cover of the 2.0EB is the same as what’s on the 5.0L Coyote? There’s a company that makes a AN fitting that replaces the factory part so you can use AN fittings and braided hose for a clean install.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone know if the PCV fitting in the valve cover of the 2.0EB is the same as what’s on the 5.0L Coyote? There’s a company that makes a AN fitting that replaces the factory part so you can use AN fittings and braided hose for a clean install.
🤔

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
Can someone explain the difference between a vented and non-vented system? My assumption is that a vented system, in essence, negates the PCV valve and allows vapors to escape the system, thereby allowing those vapors to permeate your engine bay - and your lungs - not to mention the atmosphere. I am considering a CC for my MAV, but breathing crankcase fumes is definitely not an experience I want to have.

Lunysgwen

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus 2013 ST
Long time lurker here feeling the need to speak up about something I have experience with. You'll hear a lot of blistering from people about how a catch can is required for Ecoboost engines, and they're not completely wrong, they're just missing the point.

I'm a first gen Focus ST adopter, 2013. I've had my ST for nearly ten years now. Bought it in 2012, and was the first on Oahu to own one, but I digress.

Carbon buildup is real. It's a problem. It's going to make your cold starts feel awful and it's going to tank your mpg. Ford doesn't give a shit. I've had my head rebuilt twice under a now expired warranty. I've got pictures and work orders for proof. If you want more? watch a ford tech speak on it.

Long term: bad mpg, bad drivability, it's never made it not work. It sucks.

Short term: I need to get valve work done every 25k miles to prevent the above.

Catch cans just delays all of this. It doesn't prevent it. DI engines need fuel over the valves to keep them clean. No idea if this is the case with the Maverick, but don't let people gaslight you into thinking it's not an issue.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Soon to be me chilling with my naturally aspirated port AND direct injected 2.5L running consistently at the most stable, efficient RPM and, aided by a cool, quiet, and powerful electric motor, only coming on when absolutely necessary.

Wish I could have some drama in my life.

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Soon to be me chilling with my naturally aspirated port AND direct injected 2.5L running consistently at the most stable, efficient RPM and, aided by a cool, quiet, and powerful electric motor, only coming on when absolutely necessary.

Wish I could have some drama in my life.
"Soon"? 🤣

(I'm waiting, too)

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Absolutely adding one, one of the first things we will fab for my new truck. There is zero down sides to a well designed catch can and not venting one, unless you live where they emission Nazi's is also silly.

Over my 30+ years now in the turbocharged import world the crazy crap we've seen and tested is out of this world.

Oil film, which you are going to get, in an intercooler will absolutely DESTROY the intercoolers efficiency. You can Duck-duck-go search (I hate google) and find some old testing we did. The basics of the story is we had a car on the dyno (DSM, 2.0 turbo) with one of our large front mount intercoolers on it. The intake temps were going through the roof. Couldn't figure it out. We decided to pull the intercooler off and found it had quite a bit of oil in it. We cleaned it out, re-installed it and the intake temps, if I remember correctly, dropped 50+ degrees. From then on we've been developing and improving catch cans.

When we started with the Nissan GTR's everyone had non-vented, junk catch cans out there. After our dyno testing and proof of how well our cans worked, everyone has ditched those non-vented designs and switched. There is back to back dyno tests out there were my car gained close to 30 whp just from a vented catch can, that was on a car making about 900 whp. DSport Magazine, Mike Ferrara, a good friend of mine was amazed. They ordered one of our cans and did a big test/write up in the magazine finding the same results. A "300" hp engine isn't going to gain 30 whp but the gains will be there and it will keep the intercooler from becoming contaminated with oil.

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Before it's asked, the power gains are because the crank case gets pressurized, by venting the can properly you lose that pressure in the crank case, that pressure is below the piston and the piston has to fight to come back down. Relieving that pressure, which can be measured with a pressure sensor on the oil cap, lets the engine spin easier, increasing the power you see. There's info out there from all that testing we did.

VRausch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT EB 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Jumping in to say that I'm planning to reuse the Radium can from my Focus RS, since it's basically the same set up as the 2.0l Ecoboost. Mounting bracket and hose length likely should be the only differences. It's certainly helped on the RS, but because it's DI only there is still a fair bit of buildup on the valve stems and guides. So it isn't a fix for carbon build up, but I believe it does help a bit.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there an catch can kit for the Maverick yet?

Here's a interesting video on catch cans on a Focus -

Sponsored