First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone else besides me going to install a catch can on their Maverick?

I had one on my 2015 Mustang Ecoboost and I have one on my 2018 Mustang GT.

Is their one available for the 2.0 Focus or Focus ST?
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I though modifying the emissions systems was illegal in most states. I have used them on track trucks but never on a production vehicle.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury

Can I put this on my Hybrid?

Hahaha, just kidding. Had to have some fun today as it's another rainy day here.

OP
OP
06Warrior

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can I put this on my Hybrid?

Hahaha, just kidding. Had to have some fun today as it's another rainy day here.
Yea we just got a brief shower that came out of nowhere. Now the sun is shining and the humidity level is sky high 🙄

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey

I definitely plan on getting one and installing it day of delivery. If there is no vehicle specific option available, I have friends in manufacturing that could easily whip up a sexy mount and I can source the rest of the needed materials from products already on the market.

For me the combo of turbo + direct injection means a catch can is a must.

Sponsored

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I though modifying the emissions systems was illegal in most states. I have used them on track trucks but never on a production vehicle.
At least in CA, it's definitely illegal but it's not like the real world repercussions are too severe; just means you wouldn't pass smog without some creativity.
I mean, it's also illegal to run without catalytic converters but I can name a TON of licensed, smog passing cars I know of that either literally, or effectively, had none. They were crafty folks that knew a good tuner. :cool:

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At least in CA, it's definitely illegal but it's not like the real world repercussions are too severe; just means you wouldn't pass smog without some creativity.
I mean, it's also illegal to run without catalytic converters but I can name a TON of licensed, smog passing cars I know of that either literally, or effectively, had none. They were crafty folks that knew a good tuner. :cool:
Everything is illegal in Commifornia. Been there when I was in the Navy, nice place to visit. Would never live there do to cost and rules and restrictions on everythin.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmmm… this will help w the carbon buildup on the intake valves right? Might need to look into this…

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m planning on it as soon as there’s a good aftermarket option.
What about a turbo timer? I was planning on that too. Is that still a thing? Used to be back in my fast and furious days 🤣🤣

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I’m planning on it as soon as there’s a good aftermarket option.
What about a turbo timer? I was planning on that too. Is that still a thing? Used to be back in my fast and furious days 🤣🤣
Just get some nitro (not nitrous I mean actual nitroglycerin) it will definitely improve engine output (for a very short but noticeable period)

Sponsored

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
I’m really surprised it took this long for the infamous catch can question to come up. As time goes on, if you’re looking for emotional fireworks in print this thread will likely be a great place to visit for entertainment value, emotions run high, make sure you’ve plenty of popcorn.

Over 500k results if you google “catch can ecoboost”, that tells you something. The 2 extreme sides of this topic have an almost religious zealotry aspect to them (kind of like some Tesla zealots that believe anything other than pure EV is complete heresy with zero tolerance for anything with an ICE component) and yet people continue to think that through measured and reasoned arguments pro or con they can convince their opposite to “see the light”.

One side: If you have a DI EB you’ll destroy your engine without a catch can, don’t leave home without it!
Other side: Catch cans are total hype and BS, fake news, don’t waste your money!

Once you go down the direct inject engine/carbon build-up rabbit hole, it will take you in many many different directions and you can easily spend weeks researching it and still leave you with questions as to “should I install a catch can?”. You’ll even question “should I buy a DI engine vehicle?”. It’s your call, do what you want.

I did go down that black hole a couple years ago before I purchased my first EB (2016 F150 with 3.5EB). I’m retired, had the time, did spend weeks. Some places it took me: catch cans (obviously) and/or air/oil separators and how do they work, DI engine vs. PFI principles of operation, why/how carbon is formed, engine oil dilution from gasoline (and “best” kinds of oil to try and mitigate this effect), modern positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) systems and operation and what’s “wrong” with it, diesel engines (the original DI’s), if catch cans are so great/needed then why doesn’t Ford (or GM or ?) have them as standard equipment, how dependent are driving habits on the effectiveness (or not) of catch cans, did Ford come up with their combo PFI/DI Ecoboost engines solely to combat carbon build-up, gasoline particulate filters (GPF’s), regulatory requirements (Euro6, China6, US Tier 3 LEV III, CAFÉ, etc).

I drew some general conclusions (mine only, YMMV):
  • Is carbon build-up a problem? Maybe (earlier VW’s, Audi’s, BMW’s, etc – or – your drive regimen is 95% stop & go city with mainly 5-10 minute trips and you want to keep your car for 150,000+ miles), but if you have a modern (~last 5 yrs) DI-only Ecoboost, probably not with regard to you having a problem requiring engine work within the period of time you keep the vehicle.
  • All those videos/pictures of carbon-fouled intake valves, is my engine a ticking time-bomb? I tend to call BS on a majority of these examples. Rarely do you get useful information like “hey my 20xx Ecoboost has xx miles on it, my driving habits are (fill in blank), I do mainly (city or highway) miles, I use xx brand/spec oil and regularly change it at ~xx intervals, here are borescope (or actual) pictures of my intakes”. I found a lot of visual evidence presented is recycled from pre-2012 and not always Ford models.
  • Do catch cans work? Yes they do. The science/principle behind their operation makes sense to me.
  • Do catch cans hurt an engine? Not that I could find. Now if you don’t install or drain them properly then a different story…
  • Instead of having to periodically drain a catch can, what about a system that re-introduces that “gunk” the catch can captures back into the crankcase? There are such systems on some vehicles (some Corvettes, BMW, etc).
  • So if sucking oil through an intake system is a problem, why doesn’t Ford make catch cans standard equipment? Try and think a little like FoMoCo would; most people can hardly be bothered to even read their owner’s manual, rarely if ever pull the dipstick, and need a dash indicator (IOLM) to tell them to change their oil. So now you (Ford) are thinking of putting a device (catch can) on the engine that requires a person actually periodically check it and drain the fluid off once it’s full? Pretty sure Ford thought, thanks but no thanks, we already meet EPA requirements and the owner doesn’t need to service it, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
  • So when Ford came out with their dual PFI/DI Ecoboost’s in 2018, aren’t they admitting carbon build-up is a problem and did this (PFI/DI) strictly to prevent carbon build-up problems? At first I thought this was true, but the more I looked into it, it appeared to be threefold – (1) higher boost pressure/improved efficiency/higher torque, (2) less chance of carbon build-up on intake valves, (3) reducing carbon particle soot. Soot is currently a bigger deal in Europe and China (by regulation newer DI engine vehicles that must have GPF’s), not yet a USA issue but I do believe that’s coming (if ICE engines survive until then).
Explained: Why Some Engines Have Both Port and Direct Injection (caranddriver.com)
PowerPoint Presentation (healtheffects.org)

My personal philosophy on catch cans is (borrowed from a poster on an F150 form):

"The amount of oil consumed by the engine via the PCV system is minuscule compared to what would be consumed if there were no PCV system, especially on an engine with forced induction. That is why Ford (and other manufacturers) install PCV systems - to help with cylinder sealing, emissions, etc. This is especially important if you increase the boost of the engine - the higher the boost the more combustion blow-by occurs and that results in crankcase pressurization. The amount of oil lost should be small enough that the regular oil change intervals will replace the burnt oil and the engine does not suffer from low oil issues. That said, sucking oil through the intake system is not a good idea - period. If it can be avoided via a catch can AND you are disciplined enough to empty it then it WILL help keep your intake system clean. There is no refuting that. Why does Ford not install it on the F150? Because the truck meets EPA guidelines and there is no requirement for the owner to service it. The BMW example is good - it is there and it drains back into the engine automatically so no user interface is required. So, are catch cans necessary? No. Millions of Ecoboost engines out there show the factory PCV system works for the life of the engine. Disassemble their intake systems and they will be filthy inside. That is a fact. So, are catch cans a gimmick? No. It is proven they prevent oil ingestion and help keep the intake system clean. It is not up for debate - catch cans do work to stop oil ingestion. If you don't care about oil ingestion, don't worry about it. Your truck will be fine. If you do care about oil coating the inside of the intake system of your truck, install a catch can and empty it every time you change your oil.

So if you want, put that catch can on, it’s your dime.

OP
OP
06Warrior

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmmm… this will help w the carbon buildup on the intake valves right? Might need to look into this…
I’m really surprised it took this long for the infamous catch can question to come up. As time goes on, if you’re looking for emotional fireworks in print this thread will likely be a great place to visit for entertainment value, emotions run high, make sure you’ve plenty of popcorn.

Over 500k results if you google “catch can ecoboost”, that tells you something. The 2 extreme sides of this topic have an almost religious zealotry aspect to them (kind of like some Tesla zealots that believe anything other than pure EV is complete heresy with zero tolerance for anything with an ICE component) and yet people continue to think that through measured and reasoned arguments pro or con they can convince their opposite to “see the light”.

One side: If you have a DI EB you’ll destroy your engine without a catch can, don’t leave home without it!
Other side: Catch cans are total hype and BS, fake news, don’t waste your money!

Once you go down the direct inject engine/carbon build-up rabbit hole, it will take you in many many different directions and you can easily spend weeks researching it and still leave you with questions as to “should I install a catch can?”. You’ll even question “should I buy a DI engine vehicle?”. It’s your call, do what you want.

I did go down that black hole a couple years ago before I purchased my first EB (2016 F150 with 3.5EB). I’m retired, had the time, did spend weeks. Some places it took me: catch cans (obviously) and/or air/oil separators and how do they work, DI engine vs. PFI principles of operation, why/how carbon is formed, engine oil dilution from gasoline (and “best” kinds of oil to try and mitigate this effect), modern positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) systems and operation and what’s “wrong” with it, diesel engines (the original DI’s), if catch cans are so great/needed then why doesn’t Ford (or GM or ?) have them as standard equipment, how dependent are driving habits on the effectiveness (or not) of catch cans, did Ford come up with their combo PFI/DI Ecoboost engines solely to combat carbon build-up, gasoline particulate filters (GPF’s), regulatory requirements (Euro6, China6, US Tier 3 LEV III, CAFÉ, etc).

I drew some general conclusions (mine only, YMMV):
  • Is carbon build-up a problem? Maybe (earlier VW’s, Audi’s, BMW’s, etc – or – your drive regimen is 95% stop & go city with mainly 5-10 minute trips and you want to keep your car for 150,000+ miles), but if you have a modern (~last 5 yrs) DI-only Ecoboost, probably not with regard to you having a problem requiring engine work within the period of time you keep the vehicle.
  • All those videos/pictures of carbon-fouled intake valves, is my engine a ticking time-bomb? I tend to call BS on a majority of these examples. Rarely do you get useful information like “hey my 20xx Ecoboost has xx miles on it, my driving habits are (fill in blank), I do mainly (city or highway) miles, I use xx brand/spec oil and regularly change it at ~xx intervals, here are borescope (or actual) pictures of my intakes”. I found a lot of visual evidence presented is recycled from pre-2012 and not always Ford models.
  • Do catch cans work? Yes they do. The science/principle behind their operation makes sense to me.
  • Do catch cans hurt an engine? Not that I could find. Now if you don’t install or drain them properly then a different story…
  • Instead of having to periodically drain a catch can, what about a system that re-introduces that “gunk” the catch can captures back into the crankcase? There are such systems on some vehicles (some Corvettes, BMW, etc).
  • So if sucking oil through an intake system is a problem, why doesn’t Ford make catch cans standard equipment? Try and think a little like FoMoCo would; most people can hardly be bothered to even read their owner’s manual, rarely if ever pull the dipstick, and need a dash indicator (IOLM) to tell them to change their oil. So now you (Ford) are thinking of putting a device (catch can) on the engine that requires a person actually periodically check it and drain the fluid off once it’s full? Pretty sure Ford thought, thanks but no thanks, we already meet EPA requirements and the owner doesn’t need to service it, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
  • So when Ford came out with their dual PFI/DI Ecoboost’s in 2018, aren’t they admitting carbon build-up is a problem and did this (PFI/DI) strictly to prevent carbon build-up problems? At first I thought this was true, but the more I looked into it, it appeared to be threefold – (1) higher boost pressure/improved efficiency/higher torque, (2) less chance of carbon build-up on intake valves, (3) reducing carbon particle soot. Soot is currently a bigger deal in Europe and China (by regulation newer DI engine vehicles that must have GPF’s), not yet a USA issue but I do believe that’s coming (if ICE engines survive until then).
Explained: Why Some Engines Have Both Port and Direct Injection (caranddriver.com)
PowerPoint Presentation (healtheffects.org)

My personal philosophy on catch cans is (borrowed from a poster on an F150 form):

"The amount of oil consumed by the engine via the PCV system is minuscule compared to what would be consumed if there were no PCV system, especially on an engine with forced induction. That is why Ford (and other manufacturers) install PCV systems - to help with cylinder sealing, emissions, etc. This is especially important if you increase the boost of the engine - the higher the boost the more combustion blow-by occurs and that results in crankcase pressurization. The amount of oil lost should be small enough that the regular oil change intervals will replace the burnt oil and the engine does not suffer from low oil issues. That said, sucking oil through the intake system is not a good idea - period. If it can be avoided via a catch can AND you are disciplined enough to empty it then it WILL help keep your intake system clean. There is no refuting that. Why does Ford not install it on the F150? Because the truck meets EPA guidelines and there is no requirement for the owner to service it. The BMW example is good - it is there and it drains back into the engine automatically so no user interface is required. So, are catch cans necessary? No. Millions of Ecoboost engines out there show the factory PCV system works for the life of the engine. Disassemble their intake systems and they will be filthy inside. That is a fact. So, are catch cans a gimmick? No. It is proven they prevent oil ingestion and help keep the intake system clean. It is not up for debate - catch cans do work to stop oil ingestion. If you don't care about oil ingestion, don't worry about it. Your truck will be fine. If you do care about oil coating the inside of the intake system of your truck, install a catch can and empty it every time you change your oil.

So if you want, put that catch can on, it’s your dime.
Here comes the catch can police.

Get if you want, don’t get if you don’t want. Makes no difference to me. I have it on my 18’ GT and do catch some oil. Maybe not a lot but I do.

I was asking anyone else who was getting one not on the pros or cons of getting one.

If people want to get it let em. What does someone else spending their money on a truck they bought matter to anyone else.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here comes the catch can police.

Get if you want, don’t get if you don’t want. Makes no difference to me. I have it on my 18’ GT and do catch some oil. Maybe not a lot but I do.

I was asking anyone else who was getting one not on the pros or cons of getting one.

If people want to get it let em. What does someone else spending their money on a truck they bought matter to anyone else.
That's the point, it doesn't matter, it's their dime. You decided it was worthwhile. Catch can threads have high entertainment value for me, plus occasionally some technical nuggets are interesting.

OP
OP
06Warrior

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's the point, it doesn't matter, it's their dime. You decided it was worthwhile. Catch can threads have high entertainment value for me, plus occasionally some technical nuggets are interesting.
Great don’t get one then. No one is forcing you too.

Ford performance offers one for the Mustang because it does absolutely no good but just a way of ripping people off. Gotcha

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great don’t get one then. No one is forcing you too.

Ford performance offers one for the Mustang because it does absolutely no good but just a way of ripping people off. Gotcha
Just curious, what convinced you to put them on your Mustangs?
Sponsored