First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We've been building catch cans for close to 20 years. As I've stated before, this was started to keep the intercoolers clean, after many years of testing it was found just a thin film of oil inside an intercooler will greatly hurt the efficiency of the intercooler.

This video is of a brand new can we built for my 2020 F150 3.5 EB. Same baffling/packing we have now used since we started making the cans. This truck has 20,000 miles on it, very well maintained. I recently added a large front mount intercooler to it and we built this can for the truck to make sure that investment stays cleans and works as it should.

We were having some issues with a CEL on this truck with the way I designed the can so had to pull it off today to make a change. (This is NOT an issue on the Maverick 2.0EB) The truck has less than 300 miles on it since the can was added, so this was shocking at the amount of crap that was in it.

I'm glad we added this the day we added the intercooler, the thought of the intercooler being filled with this much garbage after just 300 miles is a kick in the nuts.

https://youtu.be/YJQlZjI_eHg

Enjoy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Swami37

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Bronco and 2020 F150 FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Scare tactics. Lol. Don’t waste money on a catch can unless you are racing Folks.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not racing, just commuting - I dump tons of crap out of both my cans monthly.

Drive about 2k a month.
So, why does this matter? Serious question.

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So, why does this matter? Serious question.
For me it is simple, I don't want any of that crap in my air inlet, turbo, intercooler and throttle body. It coats everything......

Also, any reduction, no matter how small, of oil vapor coking onto the backside of the intake valves is a plus. Normally, as each of those areas gets coated with this crap, the performance, fuel efficiency, and efficiency of the emissions systems decreases. Mine is a daily, I tend to keep my daily drivers for a long time & cleaning out inlets and intercooler's, not to mention the valves sucks - the longer I can avoid that the better.

I respectfully disagree that burning this shit is a better solution than venting to atmosphere, and catch cans beat both of those hands down.

I have no products to sell, but I can attest that the cans catch a lot oil, fuel, and water.

FWIW, I am not running @Buschur catch cans, but his design is solid.

Sponsored

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How much of that is water?
For me here in North Texas I would estimate maybe 20%, no more. Other parts of the country may see more or less. Less than that for the lower can...

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD 18" rims Cactus Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
in the video I watched of Mr. B's above here, it looked more like 90% water he drained into the trashcan. Just a observation, I applaud his work .

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Scare tactics. Lol. Don’t waste money on a catch can unless you are racing Folks.
You win todays award for the dumbest comment.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How much of that is water?
Water, fuel and oil, all of it ends up in your intercooler it also ends up contaminating your oil, none of which is good lubricant.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anything other than fuel going thru the engine creates detonation. Detonation is bad in a na application and even worse in a boosted application. Im all for keeping crap out of my intake and letting the engine be as efficient as possible.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
LOL guess I hurt your feelings...
Not at all, just continue to prove why some people shouldn’t be permitted to write anything the public can read.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.