First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So here is a question. Lets say someone lived in a visual check state And wanted to stay legal. How hard is it to reverse a vented catch can if one wanted to use it "For Off Road Only" while on the track?
Personally, I'd go to get checked and see if the pass it. Then if it doesn't it's easy to put back to stock.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why? Legitimate question, I'd like to understand, and cannot find the answer anywhere (and I did search before asking here).

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why? Legitimate question, I'd like to understand, and cannot find the answer anywhere (and I did search before asking here).
You're making me think! The reason is going to be because the ridiculously high cylinder pressure on top of the piston aren't offset by the small amount of pressure on the bottoms but freeing up that pressure on the down stroke relates to more horsepower.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're making me think! The reason is going to be because the ridiculously high cylinder pressure on top of the piston aren't offset by the small amount of pressure on the bottoms but freeing up that pressure on the down stroke relates to more horsepower.
Hmm, not seeing that one ... maybe my mind is too weak.

I have found plenty of references to the rings sealing better with less crankcase pressure.

And it is pretty much a given that crankcase pressure is bad for seals, etc.

Thanks for the discussion.

Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will this leave any residue under the hood?

Can you make a video showing the install or of the install explaining what the steps are to install?

Would you notice a difference in oil color after 5,000 miles? I'd love to see a comparison of before and after and if the oil is less dark etc.

mykream

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Corvette Z06, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will this leave any residue under the hood?

Can you make a video showing the install or of the install explaining what the steps are to install?

Would you notice a difference in oil color after 5,000 miles? I'd love to see a comparison of before and after and if the oil is less dark etc.
IF you are worried about anything under the hood, use a wristband stretched around the filter. I do this on my corvette catch can from my vacuum pump.

As Dave mentioned earlier, this relieves the pressure under the piston which is solely crank case pressure. It has nothing to do with the intake vacuum/pressure. The only relation the two have are what gets by the rings. Relieving that pressure under the piston will let the rings seal better, thus allowing a bit more power as it will likely result in the engine wanting a bit more fuel. Not as apparent with a catch can as say the vacuum pump on my vette that pulls EVERYTHING from the crankcase as rpms increase, but it is better than having the pressure under there.

Dave, thanks for what you are doing for this platform. Can't wait to see the hybrid turbos come in and what they do.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmm, not seeing that one ... maybe my mind is too weak.

I have found plenty of references to the rings sealing better with less crankcase pressure.

And it is pretty much a given that crankcase pressure is bad for seals, etc.

Thanks for the discussion.
Think of it like this, you've got a 400 pound line backer in front of you pushing as hard as he can against a 75 pound child. Now have that same 400 pound guy stand completely limp and have that same 75 pound child push against him.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder how that would fair in NE Ohio. I don't remember if they pop the hood or just do the obd2 port and call it a day.
Most wouldn't know it wasn't stock.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.