Sponsored

Anyone having rust issues with their Maverick?

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First thing I am spending money on my Maverick for is a complete rust proofing job done by a reputable vendor. It is the single best thing anyone can do to protect their investment. I plan I using CRC SP400 if my friend decides to go that route at his shop or WoolWax Black which he currently uses. Both products seep into crevices and remain tacky to the touch and do not become brittle like that 3M rubberized stuff.

Both products need an annual touch up done, but usually at a fraction of the original application. Both products are also friendly to rubber component and electrical wiring and actually help electrical connections and plugs stay even more water proof.

I have no financial interest in either product but WoolWax has kept my Ranger rust free for 17 years. No small achievement up here is salt heaven.

Last edited:

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went to Krown to get it sprayed and I'll be going every year.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Might be time to invest in some RockBlokz mudflaps. You would be surprised how much crap just from the road gets sandblasted into the underside and especially to the driver’s side rear bed corner too.

Coupled with thin paint I am seeing on some areas underneath, gravel/dirt/sand from the road sandblasting the underside, and northeast humidity, I can see rust starting potentially like this. Good luck on getting it fixed and definitely consider those mudflaps if you don’t have them too.

Sponsored

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you’re planning to keep it 20+ years. I wouldn’t worry about under carriage rust. My 18 year old sport-Trac has had undercarriage rust for years and years. No miles in the body and no issues because of it. Spent its entire life outside, not garaged, in the Midwest.

suze

First Name
suze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
new maverickl
I was using a protectant on the rocker panels when I saw rust already on the pinch welds and exposed painted surfaces underneath. 8 months old and less than 2000 miles. Never driven in the rain or snow.
mav4.jpg

mav5.jpg

suze

First Name
suze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
new maverickl
does it seem like the white trucks have the most paint issues?

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Warranty "...warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion..."
Perforated means holes.
Correct!
I HATE rust it's the one thing that I can't tolerate on cars.. I will avoid models that rust easily

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It looks like there was 0 paint applied to the one piece of metal and the other was almost no paint... hmm

Sponsored

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good morning. I'd like to look into your rust concerns on my end. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?
Looks like Ford is going to spray a little token cleaner at this issue! lol.

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With the way these have been designed, the lack of any type of wheel well liner in the rear. They will all be rust buckets within 10 years. Especially up here in the salt belt. May be what Ford wants to happen. People tend to buy a new vehicle when the rust starts coming thru. If I recall correctly the Original Ford Maverick was known to be a trouble plagued, oil burning, P.O.S. rust bucket also! Its true history repeats itself

Last edited:

Lugnut

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless you’re planning to keep it 20+ years. I wouldn’t worry about under carriage rust. My 18 year old sport-Trac has had undercarriage rust for years and years. No miles in the body and no issues because of it. Spent its entire life outside, not garaged, in the Midwest.
Maverick is not the same as a sport Trac. Sport Trac has a lot of plastic body panels and is built on a frame. Sport Trac is a very good vehicle made by Ford!

Deleted member 14823

Is this something that can be prevented with undercoating? After seeing a couple of similar posts, I'm considering having this done. Will try the Ford dealer first, in case there's any warranty concerns.