Sponsored

Anyone having issues with front CV axles?

Outlawrza

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same issue over here dealer has no fix, hybrid xlt not lifted
Sponsored

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2022 XL 2.0 with what appears to be a bad inner CV axle on the driver’s side. It has less than 5k miles on it. I put a Rough Country 2” leveling kit/lift on it with about 2-3k miles. The passenger side is fine. I did find some grease coming out of the bottom of the boot. It’s making a clunking noise when you rock of back and forth at low speed. It also shakes a little when I accelerate from about 10-25mph. Alignment was done a few days after the lift was installed.

I took it to the dealer and advised them of my suspicions. They stated that it was most likely the issue, but they wouldn’t cover anything as the lift voided the warranty.

I’ve seen a few things online where people are having the same issue without the lift, so I wanted to see if this is more widespread.
A typical truck with a frame lifts the body up off the frame and does not change the geometry of the axles relative to the chassis. On a unibody, I am not sure how the lift is actually achieved. Maybe someone with one can enlighten me. If the lift on the unibody truck increases the operating angles of the cv joints, it can have a negative effect on the the axles. It is a geometry issue. Chime in if you know exactly how the truck is lifted.

OP
OP

207maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A typical truck with a frame lifts the body up off the frame and does not change the geometry of the axles relative to the chassis. On a unibody, I am not sure how the lift is actually achieved. Maybe someone with one can enlighten me. If the lift on the unibody truck increases the operating angles of the cv joints, it can have a negative effect on the the axles. It is a geometry issue. Chime in if you know exactly how the truck is lifted.

Here is the lift that was installed. It uses spacers in under and over the spring in the struts, and spring spacers in the back. https://www.roughcountry.com/ford-l...vtToSHsACD7KAyXXDPPFeo-IK8GB4L0waAnwYEALw_wcB

Sponsored

OP
OP

207maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here are a few videos that show movement and the clunking noise I'm experiencing. The first two are a comparison in movement of the inner CV (where it connects to transmission). The Driver's side (where I'm experiencing the clunking noise and wobble) and the passenger side (with no noise or wobble). The last three are me pulling on the top of the tire (12 o'clock) with my foot at the bottom of the tire (6 o'clock). When I do the same on the passenger side, I do not get any movement or noise.

Driver's side inner CV moving up and down, side to side.

Passenger side inner CV moving up and down, in and out.

Driver's side inner CV. Foot at 6 o'clock, pulling back on tire from 12 o'clock.

Driver's outer CV. Foot at 6 o'clock, pulling back on tire from 12 o'clock.

Driver's side (closer look). Foot at 6 o'clock, pulling tire from 12 o'clock.

Snotrocket67

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beetle, Corolla, MB E320, Pathfinder, Vespa
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am considering the AWD Maverick for my next vehicle, but only if it can be safely/reliably lifted. I think a 2” lift brings a proper stance to the vehicle.
I have been curious, and apprehensive, about the stress on the drivetrain that a lift might cause. I am following this discussion intently.
That being said, I have owned air-cooled VWs for 4 decades, and know the CV’s are the limiting factor when lifting a VW for additional ground clearance. Excessive wear and damage will occur on the stock Type 1 (Beetle) CVs when the axle operates in excess of 12 degrees. In their place, people will use Type 2 (Bus) CVs which are capable of 17 degrees, or Type 4, which allows up to 22 degrees of angle.
If the stock CVs on the Maverick are limited in their safe angle of usage, excess wear and damage will only be resolved in the aftermarket parts arena.
Not sure if the increased driveline angle is the cause of the aforementioned issues, but I would not be surprised if the lift is the cause. As for the stock height Maverick having the same problem, this all might be poor construction or materials. Who knows?

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The Tremor half shafts may be the answer here if/when CV replacement becomes necessary...

OP
OP

207maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Tremor half shafts may be the answer here if/when CV replacement becomes necessary...
I have a feeling that the half shafts on the tremor are probably the same as the rest. Once the tremor is out I’ll speak with Ford parts to see if the part number is the same

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Opinions vary on the Tremor shafts vary. Since this transmission is available on heavier Fords there are number of different shafts and CVs on the Ford parts shelf, easy/cheap upgrade. I think they are heavier in the front but the same as the BS Badlands in the rear to match. Maybe the Badlands fronts are heavier than the 3cyl, that's something a parts search could find today. Ford says upgraded without any clear indicating which end they are referring to. Even a month ago the common thought (not mine) was the drive ratio was the same as the regular AWD because Ford was vague. My argument then, and today is since the intended purpose/intent was offroad capability, parts are upgraded to that end. In part from heavier tires, suspension lift and increased torque situations found offroading.
Interesting debate in any case. The Expedition Portal review stated the fronts were upgraded so I'll hang my hat there. Ford has a truck reputation to uphold so a few bucks spent there is money well spent.

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a feeling that the half shafts on the tremor are probably the same as the rest. Once the tremor is out I’ll speak with Ford parts to see if the part number is the same
At least for the rear half shafts they have the same intermediate part number (All that is shown ont he official ford parts site) according to the official ford parts site, oddly enough, the Tremor rear half shafts are cheaper than the standard AWD half shafts.

OP
OP

207maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At least for the rear half shafts they have the same intermediate part number (All that is shown ont he official ford parts site) according to the official ford parts site, oddly enough, the Tremor rear half shafts are cheaper than the standard AWD half shafts.
Interesting. I’ll post when I find out about the tremor vs original model front cv shafts.

I do understand that adding the lift does put more strain on the CVs, but I think it’s a minimal amount. With my lift on, it still has ~3+ more inches of travel when you jack up the vehicle.

Tjazz_viking

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2022 XL 2.0 with what appears to be a bad inner CV axle on the driver’s side. It has less than 5k miles on it. I put a Rough Country 2” leveling kit/lift on it with about 2-3k miles. The passenger side is fine. I did find some grease coming out of the bottom of the boot. It’s making a clunking noise when you rock of back and forth at low speed. It also shakes a little when I accelerate from about 10-25mph. Alignment was done a few days after the lift was installed.

I took it to the dealer and advised them of my suspicions. They stated that it was most likely the issue, but they wouldn’t cover anything as the lift voided the warranty.

I’ve seen a few things online where people are having the same issue without the lift, so I wanted to see if this is more widespread.
I'm having the same issue. The dealership is telling me that the leveling kit is the problem. And they also said that once it's off it will work just fine. I know when it comes off it will have the same problem.
It's coming off tomorrow. Will see.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Did you ever correct this problem. :unsure:

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm having the same issue. The dealership is telling me that the leveling kit is the problem. And they also said that once it's off it will work just fine. I know when it comes off it will have the same problem.
It's coming off tomorrow. Will see.
What happened with your truck after you removed the leveling kit?
Sponsored