Sponsored

Anyone having issues with front CV axles?

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same issue?

I replaced the CV that I thought was bad (but is probably fine) and I’m still getting the wobble. Might just be a geometry issue that Rough County just didn’t address in the design. Seems to only happen when I’m accelerating from 10-25pmh, more so if I’m turning. No issues at any other speeds.
The wobble is very significant accelerating at 45mph. I scared the crap out of me.

On turns at slow speeds it makes a little cupping/rubber popping sound. I had it towed to 4 Wheel Parts this morning. Let's see what they say

The Ford service rep told me 1) the tech told her he gave it a 50/50 chance if lift was removed, axel would be fine 2) if I took off the lift and brought it back, they might could get warranty to cover it but no guarantees... 😑 Hmm... What is that telling me?
Sponsored

OP
OP

207maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The bummer is that ford probably documented that you have a lift, I’m sure they did with mine. Hopefully they don’t use that to void more repairs later on.

it does sound like your CV is bad by the high speed wobble and the sounds you are getting at low speeds. I’ve seen some discussion of CV issues without a lift. Hopefully the lift installer has some answers. Good luck in the coming days.

Bald Eagle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Quitman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep 2" Rough Country installed by 4 Wheel Parts and dealer is blaming bad axle on the lift.
Right at 4500 miles on the lift.
CV type axles were not OE designed for lift kits. It is hit or miss it they work properly. Oversized tires will lift the body of your truck without causing axle problems. Beware there will be limits on tire size that will cause fender rub.

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
CV type axles were not OE designed for lift kits. It is hit or miss it they work properly. Oversized tires will lift the body of your truck without causing axle problems. Beware there will be limits on tire size that will cause fender rub.
Thanks. I've owned 15 different 4x4's and had lifts on over 1/2 of them. A 2" level should not cause any serious issues with the axles. ESPECIALLY at 5k miles.
Ford tech implied he didn't think so either
4 Wheel Parts has replaced the axle and it still had the wobble immediately. They removed everything and returned to original specs. The wobble is still there. They've never experienced this.
It now sits at the dealership that 4Wheel Parts performs their mods for... still waiting...
It's shaping up for a finger pointing contest... I've been patient to date but Monday comes and I need to start pushing!

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Replaced the CV. Still having the same issues but seems to be more mild. At a loss for what’s going on at this point. Might just be how it rides with the lift and increased CV angle. Real head scratcher
Did you ever find a resolution to this?

Sponsored

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After many weeks, dealer returned the truck 'fixed' and cleared that it wasn't an issue caused by the lift. O didn't pay anything, lift was reinstalled and haven't had an issue since.
All's well that ends well?

90south

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you know what was replaced?

I have a 2022 lariat AWD 2.0 EcoBoost with NO LIFT. It has 800 miles and a similar problem. Has an intermittent shimmy/wobble between 20 - 30 mph. Isn’t a vibration like out of balance tires but more like a bad tire or bent rim. It may not really go away but just gets faster at higher speeds so that it’s not as noticeable. I scheduled it to go in for analysis mid December. Half of the mechanics were out sick so they were running around like chasing cats. They gave me a ride home because it would take awhile to get to it. When my wife drove me back when she got off work they said that they couldn’t replicate the problem. They rebalanced the rear wheels, said everything look good, and gave me my keys. I understand they were shorthanded and will reschedule for mid January when they can spend some time to replicate the shimmy. Just hoping it’s safe for now.

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 4 Wheel Parts guys were really my middle men on the deal and no, I never knew what they replaced.
I do know it took the dealer forever to figure it out and I think they ended up mounting a camera underneath to pin point the issue. Yeah it feels more like a drivetrain issue than wheels/tires. It scared the helloutta me when it started.
Good luck!

90south

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m really glad that they got you taken care of and your Maverick is dependable and safe now. I saw here somewhere that Ford was maxing out tire pressures and checked mine. All of them were at 44psi. I lowered to 34psi and now notice wobble less often. Not sure now if shimmy is from a bad tire or just not as noticeable due to softer sidewall.

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 4 Wheel Parts guys were really my middle men on the deal and no, I never knew what they replaced.
I do know it took the dealer forever to figure it out and I think they ended up mounting a camera underneath to pin point the issue. Yeah it feels more like a drivetrain issue than wheels/tires. It scared the helloutta me when it started.
Good luck!
This kind of reply is baffling to me as a service advisor, and a consumer. Same with the post above that said "I'm sure Ford documented that I have a lift" READ YOUR REPAIR ORDERS. Everything is documented there, and no where else, unless they created a technical case with Ford seeking assistance with diagnostics in which case it could be noted there. But, the larger point is that we all have consumer responsibility to know what is going on with our vehicles and what services are being performed. Even when using an intermediary like 4 wheel parts in which they become the customer of Ford they should both have a copy of the complete repair order and then pass it on to you. Or, at a minimum been relayed the accurate repair info from the dealer and then pass that to you verbally. The number of times I deal with a client who said that they had something addressed with another dealer or advisor and it simply is not even on the work order is far too often.

Sponsored

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I'm lying or 4WP is lying? What's your point? I didn't push for detailed answers because I figured there might be some 'looking the other way' on the lift install for warranty work. I know its fixed and I didn't pay for it.

OP
OP

207maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you ever find a resolution to this?
I replaced the CV axle and I’m still having the same issue. I purchased some larger tires, which have reduced the wobble a little, but it’s still there. If you get any info on what your shop did to resolve the issue, please share. I’ve checked torque on everything and I can’t find anything out of order. Might pull the lift on the side having the issues and reinstall it to see if that helps.

I think I mentioned that I brought it to Ford and they didn’t say anything more than “it’s the lift. Remove it. These vehicles are not designed for a lift”. I had the alignment done after the lift was installed at at local shop. I discussed the issue with them after the alignment and they said they’d like to see if they could diagnose it. If I can’t figure it out before the next alignment is needed, I’m going to take them up on the offer.

OP
OP

207maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you know what was replaced?

I have a 2022 lariat AWD 2.0 EcoBoost with NO LIFT. It has 800 miles and a similar problem. Has an intermittent shimmy/wobble between 20 - 30 mph. Isn’t a vibration like out of balance tires but more like a bad tire or bent rim. It may not really go away but just gets faster at higher speeds so that it’s not as noticeable. I scheduled it to go in for analysis mid December. Half of the mechanics were out sick so they were running around like chasing cats. They gave me a ride home because it would take awhile to get to it. When my wife drove me back when she got off work they said that they couldn’t replicate the problem. They rebalanced the rear wheels, said everything look good, and gave me my keys. I understand they were shorthanded and will reschedule for mid January when they can spend some time to replicate the shimmy. Just hoping it’s safe for now.
Keep us posted on the outcome once you get it looked at. I’ve heard of a few mavs with similar issues that aren’t lifted. I’m think it might be a bigger issue than the lift and might turn into a recall at some point. Hard sayin not knowin.

90south

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep us posted on the outcome once you get it looked at. I’ve heard of a few mavs with similar issues that aren’t lifted. I’m think it might be a bigger issue than the lift and might turn into a recall at some point. Hard sayin not knowin.
👍 I started a stand alone thread specific to “shimmy/wobble” for this topic.
Sponsored