First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Accord, 70 Mustang Convertible
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The manual isn’t gonna happen. Highly doubt the diesel will. Simply no need for it.

The price tag will probably knock me out. I’d be interested in all electric if the range was decent.
I’m all in for the electric Ranger. Would be ordering as soon as they are available. Would buy the electric Maverick as well. Depends which hits the market first.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's 0 mention of hybrid or EV for the Ranger news ... not sure where folks assumed the 6th Gen Ranger would get either.

So Jim Farley will keep selling diesels to the Aussies but not to Americans? And 3 diesel options for the Aussies at that! Lucky bastards.

The only diesel midsize/compact truck in US market is GM's Colorado, and GM just decided to stop selling it to Americans. (Actually GM shut down the plant that made those diesels.) I'm not holding my breath that Ford will sell any of those 3 diesels to Americans.

Jim is throwing $$$ into those huge battery plants in the South so you'd think they'd release all new vehicles as hybrid/EV now. Odd to not see Ford mention it in this news.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There's 0 mention of hybrid or EV for the Ranger news ... not sure where folks assumed the 6th Gen Ranger would get either.

So Jim Farley will keep selling diesels to the Aussies but not to Americans? And 3 diesel options for the Aussies at that! Lucky bastards.

The only diesel midsize/compact truck in US market is GM's Colorado, and GM just decided to stop selling it to Americans. (Actually GM shut down the plant that made those diesels.) I'm not holding my breath that Ford will sell any of those 3 diesels to Americans.

Jim is throwing $$$ into those huge battery plants in the South so you'd think they'd release all new vehicles as hybrid/EV now. Odd to not see Ford mention it in this news.
The article never mentioned much about the US speced Ranger either, with the F150 and Maverick going PHEV and EV, it only makes sense for the Ranger to do the same thing.

You can thank VW for the decline of the oil burners here in the US.

Leuf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Of course the Maverick is just the excuse Ford needed to make the Ranger even fatter than it already was. Give it 10 years and the Maverick will be the size the Ranger is now and we'll be wondering when they'll start making a small truck again.

Sponsored

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Bronco, Maverick, Ranger, Lightning.............buyers waiting through 2037.

someone had to say it...

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 10.02.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 10.04.58 AM.png

I love that. Hope that's what the American version looks like. Looks maybe even a little better than the current Ranger which I think looks great, as well as I also love the Chevy Colorado looks.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Of course the Maverick is just the excuse Ford needed to make the Ranger even fatter than it already was. Give it 10 years and the Maverick will be the size the Ranger is now and we'll be wondering when they'll start making a small truck again.

Most of that is due to environmental regulations. It's easier to go to the next size up with a more forgiving fuel mileage target. So you end up with more and more gigantic trucks. Good old government common sense! Thats why for example the mav can only exist as a base hybrid and 4 doors. It was hard enough for Ford to meet the requirements to build a smaller truck at all, but with a hybrid and four doors they would be able to barely squeeze it under the MPG requirements (which increase massively every year as well, hence the unreliable turbo engine, cheap lightweight materials etc). You also get a lower mileage requirement for 4 doors, which is why you see all those extended cabs with two useless doors on the back even though the back seat is too tiny to fit people. It's to meet the regulation that now it's a 4dr vehicle. Regular cabs effectively cannot exist anymore due to the EPA/CAFE.

Leuf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You also get a lower mileage requirement for 4 doors, which is why you see all those extended cabs with two useless doors on the back even though the back seat is too tiny to fit people.
No argument about the size of vehicles coming from environmental regs, but the extended cabs won over regular cabs on their own right. The 6.5' bed does just about everything an 8' bed can do, plus gives you a waterproof, locked storage area in the cab. The seats back there might be useless but the space isn't. My S10 predates all that and has 3 doors instead of 4 but even then not many people bought the regular cabs. In fact I thought I wanted a regular cab and settled for the extended cab because there just weren't any available but ended up being glad to have it. I may now be forced into the short bed of the Mav, if I want a truck that's not ridiculously oversized, but I don't think I'll ever feel the same way about the short bed.
Sponsored