First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ha! 71 here, undoubtedly 72 before they build my XL hybrid. I think Ford's market research (if they did any at all) messed up badly on this. I live on a hobby farm with horses (gave our sheep away some years ago) and have been managing with carryall or SUV type vehicles for 23 years: Cherokee and the old boxy Escape. Maverick will be our first real truck.
No doubt they know about those of us that have money to spend but are older. WE do not represent the target because for many in that age group it will be the last new car purchase. They are targeting a new market that will buy not just the Maverick as a car, but Ford also as a brand for generations to come.
Sponsored

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No doubt they know about those of us that have money to spend but are older. WE do not represent the target because for many in that age group it will be the last new car purchase. They are targeting a new market that will buy not just the Maverick as a car, but Ford also as a brand for generations to come.
I would characterize the Maverick buyer in many cases as "first time truck buyers of all ages." They seem to be missing that, as they missed the demand for the affordable hybrid.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Had a F-250 camper special in the seventies, zero mileage even with no load. Gas was cheap. A B-210 in the eighties, pulled my boat with no problem and plenty of room for the sails and life vest. A ranger in the nineties, a good size truck for me. Now I have a 2005 silverado with a long bed, to much truck for me now.
I was planing to buy another range until I drove one. The new ranger bigger than my over size silverado and yet I felt closterfobic. I have never felt the need for a back seat, I use the wife’s SUV to hall family and friends. Maybe, two or three times in the past 16 years I have loaned my truck to my daughter because she need the full 8’ plus the tailgate.
Maverick?? We will see.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Curious how all the videos show very young “buyers” on the promos. I am 64 and am exited to get my new little truck, just saying.
65 years... January 66... I have been interested in a Truck for about 8 years now... I was always curious about the original Tacoma small truck - eventually through an employer, I was issued a Ford Ranger in 2001- basic work truck. Was never truly impressed, but back then I was still a car guy. Eventually I found great value in SUVs. Loved them for accessibility "in and out" of the vehicle. Over time I realized though I had good storage in the back - it was limited by the constraints of a roof.

I traveled to Colombia and then to Brazil (6xs) and saw how many small trucks were on the road. So many different Mftrs of these small trucks too! Isuzu, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Chevy and some I never heard of or knew existed! But the one (med sized) vehicle I absolutely fell in love with was the Toyota Hylux - so much so that I wrote to Toyota to see if there was any way to purchase one for the US... denied!

All of this started around 2014... and ever since I have wanted a small truck, but have been frustrated by the size of the Tacoma, Ranger etc. I keep my vehicles in a garage and I cannot exceed 202 inches due to the arrangement of the garage rear items.

I like the styling of the Santa Cruz - but not much more - and not as much as I like the Truck Look of the Mav - I am on order for a FE Rapid Red, AWD w 4k Tow package...

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had numerous "small" trucks in my time. I'm 76 and I've had a Datsun, Toyota pre-tacoma, and 2 Mazdas. I have always liked small trucks! Seems they start small and every year they get bigger and bigger! 'Big" trucks don't even fit in parking lots and I think you need a different drivers license to drive them;). And by the way, they don't belong in the compact only parking spaces! I like Tom, have been in Central America where you see all different types of "small" trucks. Finally Ford moving to an all truck and suv model saw the need for this niche and I think we're seeing the demand just on this forum! I say hurray and can't wait to get mine!

Sponsored

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had numerous "small" trucks in my time. I'm 76 and I've had a Datsun, Toyota pre-tacoma, and 2 Mazdas. I have always liked small trucks! Seems they start small and every year they get bigger and bigger! 'Big" trucks don't even fit in parking lots and I think you need a different drivers license to drive them;). And by the way, they don't belong in the compact only parking spaces! I like Tom, have been in Central America where you see all different types of "small" trucks. Finally Ford moving to an all truck and suv model saw the need for this niche and I think we're seeing the demand just on this forum! I say hurray and can't wait to get mine!
I know there used to be small pickup trucks here in the US. Somehow they all went away. The big heavy ones do seem to be popular with a certain subset of the market, many of whom don't actually use them for much work, but just as status symbols or something like that. (Noise makers? That too.) My best guess is that more stringent safety and emission requirements in the US were a factor in the fade out of small trucks. But there is still demand, and the way buyers have piled all over each other trying to get the Maverick proves that.

I've been thinking about small trucks for a number of years because of practical concerns with rural living and animal care. The only ones that seemed usable for my needs though were older used vehicles from discontinued model lines. That and the emissions thing put me off. As soon as I saw a small engine hybrid with a smaller footprint (wheelprint?) I jumped on it.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
34, might be 35 by the time it shows up.

Hybrid XLT in cactus gray with a spare tire will do for me. Replaces my Prius which replaced my F150 six years ago. Think the story speaks for it self.

rognus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, Subaru Impreza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know there used to be small pickup trucks here in the US. Somehow they all went away. The big heavy ones do seem to be popular with a certain subset of the market, many of whom don't actually use them for much work, but just as status symbols or something like that. (Noise makers? That too.) My best guess is that more stringent safety and emission requirements in the US were a factor in the fade out of small trucks. But there is still demand, and the way buyers have piled all over each other trying to get the Maverick proves that.

I've been thinking about small trucks for a number of years because of practical concerns with rural living and animal care. The only ones that seemed usable for my needs though were older used vehicles from discontinued model lines. That and the emissions thing put me off. As soon as I saw a small engine hybrid with a smaller footprint (wheelprint?) I jumped on it.
Yes the hybrid was a huge reason I jumped in! Gas in Nevada is just under or just over $4 a gallon.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would characterize the Maverick buyer in many cases as "first time truck buyers of all ages." They seem to be missing that, as they missed the demand for the affordable hybrid.
I think you're 100% correct on this! The price of the Hybrid makes this not just appealing to a certain age group (design), or a certain segment shopper (trucks). It appeals to anyone looking for a new, well priced vehicle.

All of a sudden people who are looking at a honda civic or a toyota corolla, or -insert entry level vehicle here - really - now have the Maverick in scope. And people haven't really even SEEN it out in the wild yet. Not to mention advertising has almost entirely been internet based, and probably largely driven by targeted algorithyms. Once people who don't hit those segments of buyers (i.e. the general public) see this truck, I think it is going to start to sell even better than the initial orders are showing.

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
I should have my Maverick delivery right around my 59th birthday in November. We are in a transition right now from ice to full electric. Battery development is improving every year and this hybrid will get us to the inexpensive long range full battery power vehicals we were promised decades ago. With $5 a gallon gas already here in California the Maverick is the right car/truck at the right time.

Sponsored

Altivo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Altivo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
altivo.dreamwidth.org
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
68, sooo tired of climbing up or climbing out of vehicles PLUS… it’s a great looking truck and fits needs
Amen to that. My one objection to the Fusion I grabbed as an interim until the Mav comes in was the way I have to literally crawl or back into it to avoid banging my head. And I'm barely 6 ft at most.

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes the hybrid was a huge reason I jumped in! Gas in Nevada is just under or just over $4 a gallon.
Same here in Cali. Only way to get under 4 bucks a gallon in Los Angeles is to get gas at a Costco.

Radar

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, F150
40. Loved the compacts of the 90’s, but I have kids now so the big cab works great for me.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No they are not missing their target, it is not just about the here and now, but the future. This is about generational truck market dominance and market share . This is tapping into the young upwardly mobile urban market. Some first vehicle buyers will also now make their next purchase a Ford, and the next, etc. How much is that advertising dollar worth spent on that customer vs one that is 70 years old? A rifle approach is much more effective than a shotgun approach in some markets especially when you know you already have that portion of the market captured. The market research happened years ago. Then Covid happened and now because of constraints the rumor is they (Ford) didn't plan appropriately and missed the demand. When a person understands how much it takes to bring a product like a car to market the accusation would be null. They want to build hybrids because if allows them to build more 'fossil fuel' cars. WHAT!!!! yes, a government regulation most people don't know about. Now, wouldn't that figure into the market equation. I hear the objection already... "Then market to a wider audience" There are also limits when it comes to marketing and advertising budgets. Bang for the buck!!! With the number of reservations and orders. It does not appear they had to spend the extra money for advertising.

Lets also remember reserved and ordered SIGHT UNSEEN! What do you think will happen when they are seen and the constraints are no longer there in hopefully a couple of years?
Sponsored