First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Been really busy so I haven't had much time to work this out but I think I can work in some time next weekend. Most, if not all, will be extremely surprised by what needs to be done. I cannot say this part enough. According to my initial research, which I trust... this is a more "involved" upgrade. No idea why Ford went to such great lengths to ensure this was as difficult as gathering pee from a T-Rex. 😞
Really excited to see the final results and what goes into it. Good luck and thanks for the work!
Sponsored

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Made a lil progress. Gears now show actively switching when driving and in Sport Mode the digital rpm gauge now becomes the gear display. ;). Will update later when I get further along. Top pic is what the cluster showed before.... just the giant D... bottom pic shows now.

Ford Maverick Adding Paddle Shifters PhotoCollage_1659036956461

TLats

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 2.0L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Made a lil progress. Gears now show actively switching when driving and in Sport Mode the digital rpm gauge now becomes the gear display. ;). Will update later when I get further along. Top pic is what the cluster showed before.... just the giant D... bottom pic shows now.

PhotoCollage_1659036956461.png
This looks awesome so far. Keep it up!

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No I’ve never towed anything in my 65 years on this planet, race truck?? My last truck was an F150 2005 FX4 with a a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires that has probably seen more flight time than most entry level pilots.. I have slowed down a bit on flight time with my 2021 Ranger FX4 but really paddle shifters and Maverick as a race truck??? Really… I’ve driven a few hyper cars in my days, the latest is a Ferrari 812 GTS but never could never keep up with the paddle shifters vs rpm.

So you think a quick shift is going to gain what?

BTW I’ve hauled and towed more than you can imagine!!

I like the spirit but it seems wasted on a Maverick…
I drove a Maverick for the first time the other day. The maverick I ordered last November finally came in. And the shift pattern while driving 30-40 mph is painful. The rpms drop and it bogs down. Just like my 2017 Camry which I've driven in manual mode for the last 6 years. If you Google tc shudder, You'll come up with lots of folks who's transmissions failed (many by 40k miles) due to this awful shift pattern that many automakers have used from approximately 2012 to 2016. However, my experience tells me it's still going on today even with the maverick. It's called "transmission technologies" in the cafe standard which is a failed attempt to improve gas mileage at the cost of trashing transmissions. Wonderful trade-off... get 0.4 more mpg for a meer $5k transmission repair bill just after the manufacturer warranty expires.

Since I have the fx4 package, I lost sport mode which may prevent the bogging down trans I mentioned earlier. So I'll be looking into using forescan to get sport mode back on the menu which hopefully will keep my tranny from premature death.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey!

If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it - not a really good fit anywhere, but will require Forscan I assume.

There's a fun thread in the focus forums about adding paddle shifters to a base focus by swapping wheels. https://www.focusfanatics.com/threads/add-sport-mode-and-paddle-shifter-to-base-2016-se.804753/

As far as I know, the escape has paddles. I wonder if this is feasible. Do we know if the transmission could support this input from the wheels? I know that we don't have a manual mode, but it's the same transmission - so I suspect it might just be the lack of hardware.

Anyone want to give this a try? I likely won't until I'm out of warranty haha.
It's a CVT.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I drove a Maverick for the first time the other day. The maverick I ordered last November finally came in. And the shift pattern while driving 30-40 mph is painful. The rpms drop and it bogs down. Just like my 2017 Camry which I've driven in manual mode for the last 6 years. If you Google tc shudder, You'll come up with lots of folks who's transmissions failed (many by 40k miles) due to this awful shift pattern that many automakers have used from approximately 2012 to 2016. However, my experience tells me it's still going on today even with the maverick. It's called "transmission technologies" in the cafe standard which is a failed attempt to improve gas mileage at the cost of trashing transmissions. Wonderful trade-off... get 0.4 more mpg for a meer $5k transmission repair bill just after the manufacturer warranty expires.

Since I have the fx4 package, I lost sport mode which may prevent the bogging down trans I mentioned earlier. So I'll be looking into using forescan to get sport mode back on the menu which hopefully will keep my tranny from premature death.
My Buick did that. I just leave it in sport mode all the time. I thought it was bogging a little bit when I bought it so it's been in sport mode since day one. Used the paddle shifters once that first day.

niknailor

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Maverick XLT /w FX4, 4K & XLT Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

They're passing the savings on to youuuuuuuuuu!

I drove an old Acura 3.2TL that I had to essentially drive in "manual mode" because the transmissions on those things loved grenading themselves, and in 4th-5th gear it'd shudder on the highway as an early indicator of this issue.

I'll keep that Sport Mode trick in mind though...still need to get Forscan and a cable for it for my FX4.

It's a CVT.
Not if it's an Ecoboost.

MankDeems

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 ranger 4X4 XLT, 04 Mazda6, 17 ninja300
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love this, you're a brave man making this work on a car with 1600 miles on it but I 100% intend to tow a 2900LB car through Colorado mountains with my mav so this is a feature I'd do anything to install assuming there's a full step by step writeup

Gilbillygucci

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XL, Ecoboost w/4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

PhotoCollage_1659036956461.png
Mind sharing how to change the D to the current gear? I also have the Escape cluster in my Mav.

MankDeems

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 ranger 4X4 XLT, 04 Mazda6, 17 ninja300
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've checked this thread once a week and have now taken delivery... Any luck? I'd literally venmo $100 for a through writeup

Sponsored

Cdubya2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
Has anyone tried to go into PCM ID Block configuration and changed it to select shift transmission using forscan to activate this? I will look on my escape next time I am using forscan. On my 2013 F150 this was the only way to make it work by swapping the cluster, column shifter w/shift buttons and enabling the selectshift trans. If the maverick has this ability on forscan or IDS this is probably what needs to be done. The photo below is not mine but It shows what needed to be changed under PCM ID block, from not equipped to equipped and write.

Ford Maverick Adding Paddle Shifters Screenshot_20220922-130156

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's more to it than just hexadecimal changes... to answer your question however, yes.

Cdubya2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Engine
Undecided
It's more to it than just hexadecimal changes... to answer your question however, yes.
Ok I am going to take a shot at adding a paddle shift wheel to my escape. I purchased the wheel today and should be here next week. I have a 1.5 3cyl w/8 speed. I already have a PRNDM shifter sitting in my garage. Lets see what happens. I also have a BCM from a Titanium that I can swap in if need be as well. So has anyone actually made changes to the PCM so far?

DTF-Garage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Focus ZX3 (RWD Swap), 2011 Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok I am going to take a shot at adding a paddle shift wheel to my escape. I purchased the wheel today and should be here next week. I have a 1.5 3cyl w/8 speed. I already have a PRNDM shifter sitting in my garage. Lets see what happens. I also have a BCM from a Titanium that I can swap in if need be as well. So has anyone actually made changes to the PCM so far?
If you need it, or want it, I have the As-Built Data from my 2020 SEL Escape that had the paddle shifters. 2.0L EcoBoost AWD.

Attachments

DTF-Garage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Focus ZX3 (RWD Swap), 2011 Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also have the ASBUILT Data from a 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands with the 2.0L and the SS Trans as well
Sponsored

Attachments